Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny868

Hey All

Jenny868

It's been a while since I've logged on or posted anything. I will be 35 weeks along on Monday and my doctor has informed me that I will be induced at 39 weeks regardless of how big baby is. I was discouraged by this but understand it's for a good reason.

I now understand what you ladies were talking about with how much fun bio-physical profiles and Non-Stress Tests are. I have been doing them twice a week since I've been 28 weeks pregnant. I have gotten to know clinic staff quite well by now! Although they are a pain to try to work around the appointments it's been a real treat to be able to see my little guy and know that everything with him and myself is going well and where we should be. He is currently around 5 lbs 3 oz as of last week which puts him in the 73rd percentile, right where they want him! Thank goodness! I have been told about how big my baby is going to be because I'm diabetic by so many people over and over that it feels good to know I am doing all that I am suppose to and getting the results I should. I go in again for another Biophysical next week and I think they tell me his weight at that one too but I'm not sure.

I have had a lot of problems with swelling getting very intense and was checked out immedietely at my doctor's office for all of the fun preeclampsia labs, another 24 hour urine test, blood work, ultrasound, nst, you name it! All came back normal but my swelling continues and gets pretty bad by the end of the day! My blood pressure is always great as well. I have been wearing support hose socks but with little results because of my job keeping me on my feet all day.

I'm getting there! It's getting more and more difficult to do the basics, sleeping, showering/shaving, cleaning the house, driving etc. but the end is near! I was wondering if anyone had words of encouragement or advice for the last stretch of pregnancy; anything that helped them along or that they thought was helpful to know? I have been having plenty of braxton hicks contractions too lately even though I've been drinking water by the gallons.

I am getting so excited/nervous/anxious for this preganancy to be done and to meet my little guy! Being induced scares me because of all of the unknowns. Please feel free to share your stories with me, I think that will help me feel a bit more at ease hearing about other experiences! I'm looking forward to catching up with you ladies! Hope all is well with everyone!

Jenny W :)

Steal

Jenny,

You will do great and your little guy is going to make you forget all these last few weeks. I think the last weeks of pregnancy are the most challenging. For me, I just wanted to be able to move again and breath again. So, I just walked when I could and I said, forget it to shaving. Since I couldn't see my own legs, what was the point? Somehow that helped me not get overwhelmed int he shower. Also, I gave myself little fun projects. I made an album of all the pre-birth stuff so my girls could see their showers and mommy progressing with each of their pregnancies. The Braxton Hicks contractions can happen throughout pregnancy, but I would take that as a sign that your body is just practicing and preparing itself. I think that stretching and doing anything that would relax your body is helpful at this point. I also got nightly massages from my hubby. Luckily this was a practice, pre-pregnancy, but during pregnancy the time length seemed to be forever and it was so needed. My daughters were born 13 months apart, so all I can say is that the induction/birth process did not scare me off from doing it again.

Good luck to you and your little one. Keep us posted!

diaboki

35 weeks! Wow, time flies. I'm at 15 weeks now. I'm just wondering. Did they give you an explanation as to why they are inducing you early if there is no discernible problem? I'm hoping to avoid early induction, but understand that if it is medically necessary, it is. By the way, what is a biophysical?

Steal

Induction tends to be a pretty standard practice with Type I's although I know some members on the forum that have insisted otherwise. Hope all goes well with welcoming your little ones.

Jenny868

New Update-I went to see my OB doctor on Monday and she says per policy of the hospital I will be delivering at I will be induced at 37 weeks. I know that is technically considered full-term but still feels so early. Because of being Diabetic, with high blood pressure that is controlled with medication and my enormous amounts of swelling they would be more comfortable taking him early. My husband and I were shocked at this but it's all set for January 9th at 7:30 AM! So less than two weeks and we get to meet our little guy! That seems so much more urgent than the original 4 weeks I though I had left at the beginning of the week! We go in today for the usual Biophysical Profile and Non-Stress Test so hopefully they let us know about how big he is. I'm hoping he is growing well and is going to be around the 6 pound mark so he is around 7 or so pounds at birth. I just want to make sure his lungs are fully developed and he isn't teeny when he comes to the world! So far so good with everything else though. Looks like I better get my overnight bag packed sooner than I thought!

Diaboki--A Biophysical Profile is basically an ultrasound that measures the baby's size, head, organs, bones, amount of fluid in the amniotic sac, baby practicing breathing etc. It's pretty cool to see if you have a good ultrasound tech. The one I have been going to up until now wasn't very good at it and wasn't very thourough and didn't really tell us what we were looking at, but the one I see now is awesome, we got to see his little face and mouth moving and him stretching, it was so neat!

diaboki

Thanks for all the info, Jenny. Wow! 37 weeks! This gives me a lot to think about. At my next appointment, I want to find out what my hospital's policies are. I'm Type 2, so that *might* be different, but I don't want to be induced as a matter of policy. Only if they look at me and determine it is necessary. I'd better find out what the deal is!

Steal

Jenny,

My first daughter was induced at 37.5 weeks and my second daughter was c-sectioned out at 38.5 weeks. While it might feel early, if you are on blood pressure medication, it makes sense. From my experience, both of my little ones came out just perfect and ready for the world. I am sure that your little one will, too. My first baby was 7.5 pounds and my second was 7 pounds. That is so great that you got to see his little mouth moving and in two weeks, you will see it all! My other diabetic friend's hospital had a policy of 37 week induction with diabetics, all diabetics. She was induced and has a beautiful little girl.

Sending positive and happy vibes your way. He will be here soon and you will love, love, love it!

My first daughter is 17 months and my little, little one is 4 months. It is so crazy how time really flies. We went to the Discovery Museum yesterday and my 17 month old was just walking around and playing with everything. I just can't believe how quickly they change. It is so fun and I can't wait for you.

Leonardabel
Hidden

Hey guys we will be healthy and smart we can not forget any aspect those not provide us best health so be conscious all aspects in life and accomplish a best direction in any matters.

Jenny868

Thanks Steph, you always have such great advice and I definitely feel better after reading your post! Yesterday at the Biophysical profile he was measuring at 6 pounds 12 ounces so he is right on target, thank goodness! I was worried about him being teeny but it looks like he is on his way to being at a great weight for delivery! I can't wait to not deal with this swelling any more! It's hard to keep working being on my feet but my manager has put me in an area in the hospital where I work where it's less busy but it still doesn't seem to help and today it's super bad. I'm wishing I could go home and put my feet up but I'm going to try to stick it out till the end of the day. I can't believe how swollen everything can get! I never imagined even my knees would look so puffy! I still can't believe I get to meet my little guy soon! We couldn't be more excited/anxious/nervous....... And like you my children will be close together because my Kidney Physician said as soon as we are done having children he would like to put me on intense drug therapy to keep my kidneys stable because they are in such great shape right now he wants to do everything he can to keep them that way the rest of my life as much as possible. We were thinking probably about a year apart but we'll see how everything goes after he gets here and how I heal up etc. How did your healing process go with your c-section? Being Diabetic I find it takes me a while longer to heal and sometimes I just scar right away too, it's weird.

Steal

Jenny,

The healing was tougher with my first pregnancy because I had a long labor that resulted in a c-section. The second was a scheduled c-section and the only tough part was not getting to pick up my 13 month old. I was almost back to my pre-pregnancy size when I got pregnant again. My only advice is, I understand the urgency- that is exactly how I felt, but I agree that you should see how you feel after your little guy is here. Luckily Silver, my first daughter, was a super mellow baby and she made it easy to expand the family. I hope that will happen for you, too. Whatever you do, just make sure your body is in the right place, let the swelling go down, it takes a little while and let your body return to itself. Also, depending on what you are doing with breastfeeding, this will have an impact on your period and thus, possible planning of pregnancies. Lots to keep in mind, but you will have a little distraction that will take your attention, very, very soon.

I also understand about working. As a teacher, it got tougher near the end of the pregnancies, but my daughters were born in July and August, so I had summer vacation for the last part of their pregnancies, which helped a lot. Rest when you can and try to let yourself put your feet up.

Can't wait for pictures, soon!

Jenny868

So my swelling got so bad I had to go to the hospital and get hooked up and checked out. My doc said all is well with no preeclampsia so I am now on bedrest until baby is here. I can't wait to not look and feel bloated! My husband and I have been trying to use the time together for all the last minute things, including reading up on delivering and breastfeeding. Time seems to be flying by so quickly now!

Steal

Good luck with the bedrest. Once the baby is out, there will be so much relief from swelling, but it will take time, so get some super comfy clothes for the hospital and sandals that accomodate your feet. (That is just my two cents.) Hope you are finding your reading helpful. I found that once they are here, it all just makes sense. You guys will be great. There was a nurse that specialized in breastfeeding and she helped a lot.

While I am writing this my 17 month old is reading an Old Macdonald book and singing "E-I-E-I-O" and my 4 month old is cooing away.

aiah23

I had horrendous swelling for 5 weeks post partum and they finally gave me a water pill so heads up, the first couple of weeks are the most difficult. I was on bedrest too before the baby was born. I agree that swelling was the worst and it made my PUPPPs even more horrid. My PUPPPs finally healed 6 months post partum, docs (OB and derma) said i had the worst case they'd ever seen. I just tell you that to be aware that post partum, it takes a while for things to go back to where you'd like them to be if you are having probs like swelling that puts you on bedrest early. So heads up on that! Wishing you an awesome delivery, it does give you some relief:)

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.