Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandra94103

Vegetable Question

Sandra94103

I've been reading Dana Carpender's "How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet..." low carb book and I'm confused about how much vegetables I can eat. She says to have at least 2 cups a day of certain low carb veggies- like cabbage or eggplant but is there a cap? Or is the cap simply based on limiting total carb intake to around 50 carbs a day?

And she seems to limit fruit intake to a half a cup a day. Does anyone eat more fruit than this successfully on a low-carb diet?

Curious in SF!

VeeJay

My opinion is that it's healthier to "spend" carb grams on vegetables than on, say, low-carb breads. It takes a lot of discipline to eat 2 cups of veggies a day. I manage it now and then. Coleslaw helps.

You're right about the total carb load per meal/day. But you can eat more bulk with veggies. And that helps with weight management if that's a problem with someone (like, me).

k_dub

I don't normally eat more than 1/2c of fruit per day. But I would if I could have good BGs and do it! :)

I say if you want the fruit and you have acceptable BGs afterward (for you), then go for it.

Personally, I can't follow an all or nothing diet. I like flexibility. If I have more carbs one day, I'll cut back on the next.

sarah76

I eat a lot, a lot, and a lot of vegetables (low carb ones mentioned in Dr. Berstein's book) and no fruits, and I also have carbs from nuts such as almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds (; no rice nor pasta; so sugar). I wanted to have a low 5 A1c (this is my first T2 year) but the lab test result was as not low as I expected: 5.6 (I thought my diet was 'strict' and 'low carb'). The thing is, high protein does not work for me.

Sandra94103
The thing is, high protein does not work for me.

Do you think it's the high protein that caused your A1C reading to be higher? I've also heard that eating too much protein can stress your kidneys. Seems like a lot of Low Carbers stick with higher fats for better results.

5.6 is really good. How much carbs, protein and fats do you limit yourself to a day?

ShottleBop

I have learned to like the Trader Joe's mix of raw turnip/mustard/collard/spinach greens. I have taken (recently) to adding a mound of that to breakfast and to another meal during the day. Makes me slow down my eating, too, because I try to chew it pretty well.

A1C
I eat a lot, a lot, and a lot of vegetables (low carb ones mentioned in Dr. Berstein's book) and no fruits, and I also have carbs from nuts such as almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds (; no rice nor pasta; so sugar). I wanted to have a low 5 A1c (this is my first T2 year) but the lab test result was as not low as I expected: 5.6 (I thought my diet was 'strict' and 'low carb'). The thing is, high protein does not work for me.

Do you think it's the high protein that caused your A1C reading to be higher? I've also heard that eating too much protein can stress your kidneys. Seems like a lot of Low Carbers stick with higher fats for better results.

5.6 is really good. How much carbs, protein and fats do you limit yourself to a day?

Sandra, I cannot explain it "physiologically", if that is the correct word; however I discovered that if my last meal of the day was high in protein it caused me to have elevated FBG the next morning. I was getting FBG in the 120-125 range instead of 70-99. My dietitian confirmed that too much protein "can" cause "some" people to have elevated BGL. I am not sure if it has to do with the kidneys though.

Daytona

If you are experience higher BG due to protein, you can try splitting it up more evenly across your meals. When you eat more protein than your body can handle in a single meal, the rest can be turned into glucose by your liver. So for example, I aim for 90-100g of protein a day, which is 30g / meal with the rest for snacks.

Previously I would not each much protein for breakfast, a little bit more for lunch then get it all in at dinner time (usually via a steak). Now that I split it up, I am less hungry during the day and my FBG is about 10 points lower.

Sandra94103

Daytona and A1C- thank you for your advice. I was wondering how much protein I should be eating. I will have to start tracking that too. My last meal had quite a bit less protein day- i believe. Dinner ended at around 8:00 or so. Hopefully that will help.

A1C

Sandra, I just reviewed my notes from my last appointment with my dietitian. Due to my elevated FBG readings prior to that appointment, she recommended that I limit my protein intake to 21-42g/meal. That applies to me.

rwallen
I've been reading Dana Carpender's "How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet..." low carb book and I'm confused about how much vegetables I can eat. She says to have at least 2 cups a day of certain low carb veggies- like cabbage or eggplant but is there a cap? Or is the cap simply based on limiting total carb intake to around 50 carbs a day?

And she seems to limit fruit intake to a half a cup a day. Does anyone eat more fruit than this successfully on a low-carb diet?

Curious in SF!

Sandra,

I'm like Sarah. I eat alot of veggies. I need to respond to another post where I was asked how many carbs I eat a day. I don't know exactly, maybe 30-50 but I pay no attention to portions or fat or protein. I mainly eat those foods that are low carb and have the history of not affecting my BG readings. Those are veggies, salads, and any kinds of meats. If I'm hungry I load up on whatever I can but I do try to limit my meat only a little. With that said, I'm sure that I get way more protein than what I need. Perhaps, my cycling takes care of the protein for me. I don't know.

Daytona
Daytona and A1C- thank you for your advice. I was wondering how much protein I should be eating. I will have to start tracking that too. My last meal had quite a bit less protein day- i believe. Dinner ended at around 8:00 or so. Hopefully that will help.

Most low-carb experts agree that .8 - 1g of protein per 1 lb of lean body mass is appropriate as a starting point. Then based on how you feel and your level of exercise, tweak from there. I wrote this page which lays out how to do the calculation.

Sandra94103

Ugh! My sugars where high again this morning. I ate too much for dinner last night. I think that was part of the problem. I eliminated my evening snack. Thought that would help and lowered my protein levels.

Might have to go to the doctor's soon anyhow. I've had lung and sinus problems for the past four months that I thought I had finally beaten but it appears that the lung crackling and itchy cough is back. Maybe that's elevating my morning bsls. The rest of the day is fine. My daytime readings are anywhere between 80 and 125 before and after meals.

sarah76

I can't eat high protein. I eat low protein mostly from nuts and veggies, very little meat and fish, one egg once in a while. What happened was, when I started low carb I increased protein and immediately had problems with going to the loo so I suspected my kidneys had some problems. Infection test and creatinine test came back all ok but my doctor did not give me the microalbuminura test. At this moment thinking about possible kidney damage scares me much more than the high BS. I've reduced coffee as well, now 1 small cup per day, I read that coffee is not good for kidneys.

I don't feel tired or anything, my weight is in good range, but I am still scared that my kidneys might have already been damaged.

I eat around 100 - 120 gs carb per day (8gs from oatbran, the rest from vegetables (raw or stir fry) and nuts), 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, olive oil as salad dressing, around 30-40gs protein from nuts and sometimes a little meat, or fish, or shrimp. I often feel sleepy, I read that eating little meat can make you feel sleepy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.