Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandra94103

Overeating fat and protein on Low Carb!

Sandra94103

Ack! I'm getting the low carb part down pretty well. I'm managing to eat less than 50 carbs of day- mainly from non starchy veggies. Now I'm over compensating by eating too much meat and fat- beyond satiety! If it's not one thing, it's another- i've managed to gain 4 pounds. Hopefully, that's mostly water weight from the salty Christmas ham (shaking fist at salty Christmas ham!). Guess carbs aren't the only thing I can binge on!

At least my sugars are slowly improving. Day time numbers are running anywhere between 75 and 118 before and after meals. Fasting numbers are still wonky but getting lower. What's the mantra? One day at a time? You're good thoughts, prayers and suggestions are requested.

diaboki

It's probably mostly water weight from all the salty foods. Once you get used to eating enough protein and fat (but don't overdo it on the protein), you will find that you start eating less. You just won't be as hungry. As with anything, you just need to give it some time.

raffi

Protein is something that I can overdo if I'm not being deliberate. I have the carbs down pretty well and I don't worry about the fats, but I tend to still measure out how much meat I put on my plate.

MCS

I eat a lot of protein and have noticed if I over do it in the evening meal my body has more time on its hands to make glucose from all of the excess protein. If I cut back on the protein in the evening meal I seem to lose weight.

VeeJay
I eat a lot of protein and have noticed if I over do it in the evening meal my body has more time on its hands to make glucose from all of the excess protein. If I cut back on the protein in the evening meal I seem to lose weight.

Hmmmm...... may give this a try. I have been maintaining but not losing.

MCS

I noticed this from checking for Ketones in my urine when I awoke in the morning. I seldom show any Ketones in the morning even after I walk for 30 minutes after a low carb breakfast. I am always showing Ketones shortly after lunch. My theory was that all of the protein I was eating for dinner was being stored as glycogen and fat during the night and it took several hours during the day to use up the glycogen supply.

Hmmmm...... may give this a try. I have been maintaining but not losing.

Sandra94103
I noticed this from checking for Ketones in my urine when I awoke in the morning. I seldom show any Ketones

How do you go about checking your ketones? Is there an over the counter test kit you can buy for this?

MCS
How do you go about checking your ketones? Is there an over the counter test kit you can buy for this?

You can by ketostix at wallyworld about $7.00 for 50 of them.

Sandra94103

I got the ketostix. I've been testing the past couple of days. I'm in the moderate range. Is that good? I heard that you want to have trace amounts only. That you want your body to burn as much of the ketones as possible so that you know your burning your own body fat. Is that true?

MCS

Most of the time I show barely a trace first thing in the morning, then by lunch I show a small amount. After dinner and my evening walk I can be any where from moderate to large amount. I can usually tell during the day when it kicks into high gear, I begin to get an odor about me, dogs seem to follow me as well. :D

I got the ketostix. I've been testing the past couple of days. I'm in the moderate range. Is that good? I heard that you want to have trace amounts only. That you want your body to burn as much of the ketones as possible so that you know your burning your own body fat. Is that true?

VeeJay

I'll just add about the ketostix. They measure EXCESS ketones that were removed by the kidneys. They don't measure what's in your blood. So, any level on the stix tell you that you are in ketosis. A darker color can mean more excess ketones (that weren't needed), or it could mean you haven't drunk enough water and the ketones are more concentrated.

Sandra94103
I'll just add about the ketostix. They measure EXCESS ketones that were removed by the kidneys. They don't measure what's in your blood. So, any level on the stix tell you that you are in ketosis. A darker color can mean more excess ketones (that weren't needed), or it could mean you haven't drunk enough water and the ketones are more concentrated.

I was wondering about the dehydration. I've noticed that my readings are higher in the morning and as the day progresses they get lighter. I was attributing that to both being more active during the day and drinking liquids.

But does when the body uses keytones instead of carbohydrates does that mean I'm burning my own fat or the excess fat that I'm eating? How much of my daily food consumption should be fat intake? What percentage would folks say?

VeeJay

But does when the body uses keytones instead of carbohydrates does that mean I'm burning my own fat or the excess fat that I'm eating? How much of my daily food consumption should be fat intake? What percentage would folks say?

Yes to both. Excess fat is not stored as body fat as efficiently as excess glucose because that's one of the roles of insulin - to store glucose as fat. Less glucose in the blood, less insulin in the blood. Low levels of glucose means the body will switch over to burning ketones for fuel (ie., overnight when you are sleeping), which alows the fat cells to release fat stores.

I think everyone's different in how low carb consumption will kick the body into ketosis. And differernt times of the day, too. I think I've read the maximum carbs per day is 50 grams. I do 20-30, and sometimes I think, if there are too many carbs at one sitting, then for a short time I'm out of ketosis. But most of the time that does it for me.

You might want to do a search both Google and here on the forum for "ketogenic diet". There's been a lot of discussion about this.

After having read a number of threads about this, I have settled into an easy-to-remember formula of carb/protein/fat of 2-4-8. Or, more simply put, twice as much (grams) protein as carbohydrates, and twice as much fat as protein.

MCS

Something to keep an eye on in the heat of the summer and physical activity is dehydration. When your body is using glycogen it also releases a lot of water for your body to use, but when in ketosis that on board fluid is gone and dehydration is quick. I learned this lesson the hard way while moving dirt in a wheelbarrow with a heat index of 115.

xMenace

Similar issues here.

There seems to be a lifetime habit of eating a lot of food that's hard to break.

I've started closely documenting my macronutrient intake. I highly recommend doing this for short periods to gain a better understanding of tthe foods you eat. Be agressive. Documnet every last gram, and lean towards less fat and more protein in your calculations.

I also recommend exercising. My total daily dosage (TDD) drops dramatically when I do. One of the things I monitor is my TDD. I find in the 40's I maintain, in the 50,s I gain, and below 40 I lose. I hit six days of 30's just before the holidays, but I've been in the fifties since. My daily carbs have been pretty good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.