Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikesmom

My head hurts from confusion

nikesmom

I am new to this forum, this is my first post.

First - the truth. Was diag with T2 years ago (maybe 20) and never really took care of it - although now that I think about it, I would get blood work every year (I'm also hypothyroid) and no one every said I had a problem until recently. Move forward in time. About 3 years ago I decided to try to be a good patient and take some meds. Was put on metformin and lost a year of my life being so sick - and yes I did complain and was told that "it will get better". After 1 year I went into the Dr. and told them I will die before I put another one of those pills in my mouth. "Oh, maybe we should try something else" - YA THINK. Anyway tried other drugs and then said - forget it and stopped taking any meds and went Vegan. 8 months of that and I felt a LOT better but never got good control of BG but they were better than before. Fell off that bandwagon and tried Very Low Fat, lost 15 lbs but didn't work on BG. Went back to new Dr. and was put on 5mg Glyburide twice a day. stopped worrying so much about what I ate. Med's didn't work well on BG and devil my care diet, Dr doubled dose, I gained back 15 lbs I had lost, still don't have control over BG. Dr. wants to put me on a bunch on Drugs - I HATE DRUGS. So as we were having this debate about drugs killing me or diabetes killing me my Dr. said. Here, get this book "The Dukan Diet" and follow it exactly and there is a good chance you could get off your drugs.

Bought the book and it reminded me that the only time I actually did anything that worked was in the initial stages of being diagnosed when I went on a sugar-busters diet and the dr at that time was astounded that my "diabetes was gone". But at that time LC diets were also supposed to kill you. I've determined from my reading that every diet known to man is likely to cause heart failure when asked about by the next person trying to sell their diet instead.

So now I'm back full circle and looking at LC diet and my initial (just a couple meals) show my BG numbers dropping when I avoid carbs. Now I am running into the Low Fat vs. High Fat debate and I'm just confused. Does a LC but don't care so much about the fat diet work? Although my BG numbers are the most important, I also need to loose about 60 lbs. I admit to hoping that people will say that I can fry those veggies in butter.

Why are there so many versions of these diets (besides selling books)? I need the plan that will get me off drugs or at least keep them to an absolute min. I also need to loose weight and we won't talk about my cholesteral (sp?) numbers. But then maybe the headache is from not having a carb today - my first day on this diet, although I'm not sure what this diet will eventually look like - right now carbs are he enemy :) I think :confused:

Cormac_Doyle

There are a lot of people out there trying to sell "diets" - its been that way for at least as long as I've been alive (and I'm 37).

For a diabetic, there are a number of incontrovertible truths.

1. All carbs are converted into sugar (unless it is insoluble finer - eat a block of wood at it will come out the other end)

2. A "simple" formula of carb+protein+fat does not tell you everything you need to know about a food.

3. Fat has more calories than carbs ... But this is based on a simple chemical analysis (in the early 20th century, a lab BURNT different food classes and measured the heat generated - this does not properly account for how the body processes things

4. "Calories in - calories out = calories stored" again does not account for the many different subsystems affected.

5. The most "simple" sugars are glucose and fructose. A double sugar of 2 glucose units is "maltose". A double sugar of 1 glucose and 1 fructose is "sucrose" (table sugar). Glucose is dumped straight into you blood for you system to deal with via insulin. Fructose is immediately sequestered by the liver as "triglycerides" (FAT).

6. Glucose is taken up (under the influence of insulin) by muscles and other tissues as necessary. Adipose tissue takes up the rest and converts it to fat only within the adipose tissue. The liver also stores some for release when required (often referred to as a liver dump).

7. All fats are absorbed as "fatty acids" which include 21 different types - vitamin d and e among them. Fatty acids are absolutely essential to cell growth, hormone production and general good health. The best way to get a proper mix of fatty acids is to eat a MIX of types of fat.

8. The only type of fat that should always be avoided is artificially produced "trans-fats" (most common in "margarine"). Real butter is much better for you.

9. Fats cause you stomach to signal "fullness" to the brain for much longer than carbs (because they are digested slower).

10. StArvation diets can never work long term - but cutting out carbs for most people is just as prone to failure

Moonpie

Welcome, I have been avoiding most carbs for about 2 years, & I feel great. I also get good A1C results & my cholesterol is ok too. Dr Berstein gave good advice & another good source is Blood sugar 101 ( google it)

Bill_Iowa

Hello nikesmom,

So now I'm back full circle and looking at LC diet and my initial (just a couple meals) show my BG numbers dropping when I avoid carbs. Now I am running into the Low Fat vs. High Fat debate and I'm just confused. Does a LC but don't care so much about the fat diet work? Although my BG numbers are the most important, I also need to loose about 60 lbs. I admit to hoping that people will say that I can fry those veggies in butter.

Simply, you have three choices when you eat: carbohydrates - proteins - fats. Your body will want so many calories a day in order to thrive. If we reduce our carb intake, we have to increase either or both proteins and fats to compensate. Apparently, too much protein day after day can be tough on your kidneys, so that leaves increasing your intake of fat to get to how many calories you need a day. I follow the line of thought that if I'm going to increase my fat intake, I want to increase it with natural fats, like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, butter, nuts, etc. and avoid manufactured fats like margarine, canola oil, crisco, etc.

Also, you'll need to know the nutritional value of all the foods you eat and then swap one food for another...to get similar nutrition and lower BGs. An example of this would be vitamin C. With vitamin C, you think oranges or orange juice. 5 ounces of OJ has 100% of your daily requirement of vitamin C, but so does 4 ounces of raw cabbage (or varying amounts of broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc.). You also may want find an alternative to a favorite food without having to give it up, like pasta (spaghetti). Instead of spaghetti, I use Sharitake noodles and a low carb sauce. I don't know and don't care what the nutritional value of either is, I just enjoy it. I can now have my spaghetti (Sharitake noodles) without a BG spike. There are a lot of sources on the web (and in DF) for very nutritious and tasty low carb meals. I like the website nutrientfacts to get my nutrional information. You can modify the label by unit value (ounces, cups, etc.).

And, yes, go ahead, cook your veggies in butter and if you like, melt some cheese on them, too!

nikesmom
Welcome, I have been avoiding most carbs for about 2 years, & I feel great. I also get good A1C results & my cholesterol is ok too. Dr Berstein gave good advice & another good source is Blood sugar 101 ( google it)

OMG I went and looked at the Blood Sugar 101 and it appears the author believes that all the type 2 diabetes drugs that have been tried on me are not particularly good for you. (which is what my body said also). Has anyone followed a LC diet and had it not lower their blood sugar?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.