Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

globefrog

10 Weeks Pregnant - Excited, Scared, Nervous all in one

globefrog

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I found out a few weeks ago that I was pregnant with our first child. I am a 30-yr old, healthy female, with an A1c of 7.6% at time of positive pregnancy test.

Obviously, we have had a mix of feelings and trying not to stress out too much about glucose control. Just wondering what strategies everyone had to deal with the stress of pre-meal and post-meal sugars? I know I can get my A1c down and have been working very hard to be in the range of 72 - 140 mg/dl. Sometimes, it's tough, especially after lunch and dinners.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to chatting with everyone.

Stella

Steal

Stella,

First, congratulations. I have had two little girls that are 17 months and 4 months old and I am 31. My best advice is to work really hard at testing often and eating low carb. That was the best strategy I found for lowering my A1C and helping me maintain control as things advanced in pregnancy. I think for me, I became much less afraid of making alterations as needed. So many changes happen during pregnancy and you will need to alter your rates frequently. I am happy to answer any questions you might have and good luck to you and your husband.

globefrog

Hi Steph,

Thanks for the advice. I have heard that insulin requirements can increase quite a bit as the pregnancy progresses. At the same time, I have read about the number of hypos that can occur too. It can be a struggle finding the right balance but I know it will all be worth it when we get to meet our little one in July!

Steal

Yes. I have found that as I find the right increase of insulin, sometimes I would get hypos and then need to reduce and then it would creep back up again. Just to give you an idea, I was taking a total of 35ish units (basal and bolus) pre pregnancy and by the end of pregnancy it was well over 100. It is a normal increase that occurs as your baby grows and we become a bit more resistant. July will be here before you know it.

Pinksky

Hi Stella, I'm 9 weeks now and never been so scared in my life. My pregnancy was unexpected as well. I did visit my endo when I was in early pregnancy(not knowing) and my A1c was 7.5. I am on the pump now. I have so many doctors appointments it hard to keep up! We are considered high risk so I see both my normal and high risk doctor. Also, I have a genetic testing appointment next week. I have to end up telling my boss just because I was missing so much. Also, I have not told my family yet and thinking of doing it today or tomorrow. My reasoning was in case something happened. I am excited to tell but nervous. Maybe we can keep each other updated since we are so close in weeks. -Alicia

Steal

Alicia,

I was so nervous when saying anything to family and friends, but I think you telling them will allow you to have so much support. As a teacher, I was able to work most of the early appointments around my teaching schedule, but by the end it was impossible. I waited to say anything to my students (high school) and it was so funny as the pregnancy became more and more obvious. With my first pregnancy there was a while before someone could tell for sure, but my second it was clear I was pregnant at 6 weeks. So that was more difficult to keep out of conversation until I was ready. Whatever you do and whatever happens, you will have support. I hope for good news.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.