Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikesmom

Low Carb Low Time Breakfast?

nikesmom

Just started this LC diet during the holiday when I was home and could cook myself eggs and bacon and such - so far so good, I'm not really that hungry and I have lost 7lbs (only 50 or so more to go :o). I plan to go to Dr. next week and have him put me on insulin (the oral drugs scare me - I am a Type 2 that hasn't taken care of myself for quite sometime - which is changing this year). My research so far tells me to start with Lantus or Levemir and see if that along with my new LC diet can bring my BG back under control. If not, we'll look next step for me.

But right now, I'm looking at immediate future - Tuesday I'm back to a work routine with very little time in the morning - I won't cook, my day is too long my sleep is too short to get up even earlier than 4:30am. So if I can't have cereal, oatmeal, sausage bisquit, egg mcmuffin, bagel, donut or souffle - what do I eat for breakfast that I can do quickly (or stop and purchase) There are only so many cheese & peperroni sticks I can eat in one day :D

Dec 2011

AIC = scary

Fasting BG = you don't want to know

Future = a new challenge - Lord Willing - a new day!

Jan 2012

jwags

Have you tried Metformin? It is one of the safest drugs. It works in the liver to stop a lot of those liver dumps many type 2's seem to get many times during the day. I started out with fastings over 240 on a regular basis. With the addition of metformin and a change to a high fat, low carb diet most days I am in the vicinity of 100. Yesterday I caved and ate more carbs than normal and sure enough I was 122 this morning. So with me I know it is the carbs. Most doctors will want to start you on orals first before they try insulin. Although it is rare to get lows with lantus or levimer there is always that chance. I am steering away from insulin at this point because it puts me into a higher risk level on my health insurance. So I am holding off as long as possible. I would give the low carb a chance to work and maybe add metformin. As far as eating breakfast, check out the recipe forum. There are tons of things you can make ahead of time. I make my own low carb muffins which don't raise my bgs. I also make my own bagels and english muffins with Flaxseed, almond flour and other seeds. You can either make them individually in the microwave or use a donut baking pan and make 6 at a time in the oven. I also make something I call egg muffins in the overn. They are similar to mini quiches. I make 12 at a time and store them in the fridge. Just grab one and zap in the microwave for a quick egg breakfast or bring it to work and heat in microwave. Also you can make breakfast cookies with almond meal, nuts, coconut, coconut oil and even dark chocolate chips. Lots of people will boil up a dozen eggs and make hard boiled eggs or deviled eggs. A few of those in the morning are great. Keep celery, cukes and peppers cut up in the fridge. You can also store them in little baggies. Grab some and eat with hummus or some nut butters ( I prefer almond butter). Of course there is always slices of deli meat or bacon and cheese. I like to buy the cheese sticks and wrap ham, turkey or bacon around them.

xMenace

Very often my breakfast is a large coffee. I load my travel mug with whipping cream and coconut oil and buy a large black on the way to work. I find I stay sated.

You can also boil some eggs the night before, but they do only take ten minutes.

princesslinda

I will often scramble eggs the night before, put in something microwavable and take to work with me to nuke when I get there. I also like the EAS Carb AdvantEDGE protein shakes. Nothing says b/fast has to be b/fast foods, i've had lunch meat or cheese or a spoon of peanut butter on occasion.

nikesmom
Have you tried Metformin? It is one of the safest drugs. ... As far as eating breakfast, check out the recipe forum. There are tons of things you can make ahead of time. ....

Thanks - I have tried Metformin - Lost an entire year of my life and have never quite recovered from that experience. Dr kept saying it would get better, I kept being "ill" - couldn't go anywhere there wasn't a restroom that I could get to if needed in under 1 minute and it was FREQUENTLY needed. Finally after one entire year of trying it the Dr's way. I walked in and said I would die before another one of those pills went into my mouth - and I meant it! Then tried Vegan, didn't work. Then tried low-fat, didn't work. Have tried other oral meds, all that happens is they want to raise the dose, raise the dose, add more. They never told me about LC. And because I had bought into the "lie" that too much red meat and fat was evil I didn't look in that direction. When you look at the potential side effects of the drugs that can be used to help type 2 diabetes, it looks like educated and careful use of insulin is the safest actually. I think the prejudice against it is coming from the same mindset that has been feeding me cherrios and oatmeal to "save me"! I have even experienced Dr's "threatening" me with insulin - like it was some kind of punishment - that they would impose on me if I didn't keep eating my oatmeal and taking the pills that kept me getting fatter and fatter!

Sorry, if I sound "sharp" I'm a little angry at the misinformation I have been given by the medical community for so long. If it wasn't for the internet, I still wouldn't have a clue :mad:

I'll check out the recipe forum to see what I might make over the weekend to use during the week. I did price Almond Meal :eek:

k_dub

Some things I eat: hard boiled eggs, pre-made "egg muffins" (eggs baked in muffin cups with cheese, sausage/bacon), greek yogurt with a few sliced berries, almond butter, deli meat wrapped in cheese slices or in lettuce wraps.

rieom

Can you pick up something on the way to work when you have nothing fast to eat from home? You can order a breakfast sandwich with meat and get rid of the bread eating just the filling. You can warm up leftovers from your evening meal or pack it to microwave at work. I will have nuts for breakfast when I am tired of other things. You can vary the nuts by buying different types such as shelled peanuts, pistachio nuts, sun flour seeds, etc. Thinking outside of the box will help keep breakfast from getting boring.

Sandra94103

If you like sausage Mcmuffins and have a microwave you could buy the sausage and prescrambled egg and low carb tortillas plus whatever cheese you like. I make this for breakfast a few times a week. It takes a few minutes to assemble and microwave. It's easy peasy! And super tasty. Less than 10 carbs a serving.

Ela

Hi Nikesmom,

I just came to this thread after reading your more recent one about your doctor...Ugh:mad:.

Well, I respect your decision on going on insulin and it could be a good solution for you, however I'd like to address something about Metformin.

Yes, some people just can't take it no matter what and you could be one of them. However some of us here combined Met with LOW CARB diet and if you read one of the threads "no more metformin" - some people figured out that it wasn't Metformin that gave them diarrhea, but CARBS. I'm looking of the list of food you were eating while on this medication: cereal, oatmeal, sausage bisquit, egg mcmuffin, bagel, donut.....basically you were eating the regular HIGH carb non diabetic diet. I don't have any scientific proof or anything, but personally for me bread is a laxative. But I NEVER tried to combine eating bagels with taking Metformin.

But it's just my 2 cents and in no way I'm pushing you to restart the turture you experienced :) The thing is that insulin IS a natural thing and could be your best friend, but as I understand it (not by personal experience, but by reading the forum) using it is a bit tricky and not the same as just taking a pill and forget about it. You got to calculate and adjust to have good results or it either won't lower your BG or will get you to a hypo...However many people are successful with it and you could be one of them.:)

And as of the original topic of breakfast suggestions: most days I eat a whole wheat toast (maximum of 15 carbs) with my coffee and cream, I divide it into 3 pieces and one is covered heavy with salami or some other meat, the other is usually butter and cheese (cheese is piled high) and third is either creeme cheese or some cheese spread (like Laughing Cow variety). My plate looks full, but there is only one tiny piece of bread/toast there and I have OK after breakfast numbers and it takes a minute to "make" this breakfast.

Good luck!

Moonpie

make a batch of egg muffins ( crust less quiches ) or even a large pie size one, & eat a bit every morning. You can vary the fillings to whatever your tate buds prefer. Sometimes, if we are traveling, I will take along a container of flax/almond meal mix, & add hot water & some sf syrup to it, kinda liek oatmeal. Or cook up a bunch of sausage on your day off, & have one every morning. You can do it :)

bdelatte

People may have said all these things and sorry if they have and im repeating but I eat Atkins bars/shakes for breakfast ALOT at work b/c I am like you, I dont have time to make stuff. I dont get tired of these like I do eggs b/c there are a ton of different kinds. I will also sometimes run through mcdonalds and get an egg, sausage, cheese bisquit or one of the other varieties and take the buns off and just eat the inside. There are also in the frozen section at walmart several breakfast things taht you can throw in the microwave if you have one of those at work with ham, eggs, cheese, sausage, bacon, etc. Hope this helps.

CarolM

+1 on the Atkins shakes. I work out for an hour every morning too, and the shake doesn't leave me too hungry and weak for that.

They're pretty reasonable at Wal Mart.

JEB

I have not posted in some time, but I for some reason or another felt compelled.

I was very anti shakes for a long period of time, and wrote them off completely. I had a change of heart last year. I currently drink a shake every morning and I have it down to just mere seconds of a process.

Here is a very typical breakfast for me and it leaves me satisfied for the majority of the morning, through to lunch. I also drink a large mug of coffee on the way to work with sugar free International Delight it has less sugar/carbs than half and half, also delicious.

Here is a food tracker I use on livestrong.com (I'm am in no way affiliated with them, just like the food tracker), and I have used it every day for the past year. You have to register, but you can use the exercise and food tracker for free, and it has kept me honest with my self. But, I digress.

Pro tip: 1 plastic solo cup(the kind you use when you through a bbq), fill with ice half way, fill 3/4 with water over ice, and then toss in blender with 1 scoop. Sounds simplistic and dumb even to write that out, but I am so mechanical with it, I will have a coffee, shake, boiled egg/s, and blender rinsed clean in under 5 minutes.

Also, look for a product called Eggies or Eggy, I hate the name, but it is basically a capsule that you poor raw egg into and you boil it, makes eating boiled eggs easier for on the go. I boil 10 eggs every Sunday night.

Hope this helps.

Also note in the pic, I have already logged my lunch. (Left overs > Making fresh lunch)

post-34689-139628779863_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.