Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2012 Outdoor Bicycle Riding

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

It is time to put "Playnig In Traffic Again" to bed and start a new thread for 2012. So far (actually less than an official month) Winter here in NJ has been mild (of course typing that will change everything) so many of us are getting in winter miles on the roads.

Today I was contemplating yet-another stage of the annual Tour-de-Garage (the other thread) but I just got lazy because the forecast for tomorrow is for temperatures in the upper 40's and that is just too beautiful for a cyclist in January to pass up so, I wrote off the TdG and am preparing for tomorrow to be a road day.

I know Raffi and others are out there logging miles on roads in various winter conditions and we will frequently be driven indoors but it is time to start recording your winter cycling stories. Of course those who live in places where winter means temperatures dipping into the 60's or those in glorious places like Hawaii can make us all jealous of your winter riding tales as many of us face the indoor trainer when the weather turns nasty.

So, what is happening with the DF cycling community this winter?

raffi

I'm only getting in short rides between getting home from work and dinner, but with the unseasonably warm weather, I'm getting the rides.

By the end of the month, I will be looking for opportunities to commute via bike. No idea if the weather will cooperate, but by early February, it will still be light at the end of the commute.

graham44

You guys all make me feel like a pansy...I haven't been outside since early october...and probably wont be till late april. I'll bundle up and jog when its -5 but I Hate riding when its cold. Much respect for those of you that do it.

blufloyd

If I wasn't tied up with estate settlements and stuff I'd be digging the recumbent out this afternoon. 50 plus for January is nice weather.

I'll just keep doing my 2 mile 7 minute plus or minus Airdyne 'trips' couple three times a day. I guess if you like math that is 180 plus miles a month.

I usually do some Airdyne work all year round if feet hurt or knees get grumpy. Always found bike riding good for leg ailments.

I did have a few things cut out of left leg even with all the bike riding to most peoples disbelief that I'd have that going on.

rwallen

I rode outside yesterday and plan to today. It's suppose to be in the 60s. I can't wait until Spring. I have a bunch more riding planned this year! :)

ORjt

Oregon's been mostly dry (or at least, by our standards), and coldish this winter, as well. Was out for both days last weekend, and this weekend's looking very promising for a repeat.

I've been out a lot more this winter, than last. Mr Pancreas appreciates this.

The big investment in clothing this year has really paid off. I've gotten wind-proof and breathable pants and jacket (Novarra, and Pearl Izumi respectively). These are a huge, huge improvement. I can get out and ride comfortably down to a bit below 40F. That's about my threshold, anyway - below that, and we start having issues with patchy icy spots (or at least, I worry about that -- ).

Looking very much forward to spring, and daylight savings, so I can start getting in mid-week rides, and our weekly prep rides for Tour de Cure.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

It reads like a lot of us are having an unusually warm winter so far. Today was a beautiful January day and the temperatures topped out at 51 degrees (F). Linda is still busy with her projects as well as getting over her cold so I was on the single bike again. Five other cyclists were spotted while I rode -- I guess everyone was going to take advantage of a good January day and I don't blame them. Tomorrow looks good as well Sunday we have afternoon concert tickets so that will be a day off the bike.

Enjoy the weather.

Gordonm

I was out today after spending a week in Cancun for vacation. Logged 40 miles today after a week off the bike. Felt good. Tomorrow looks good also. Hoping to add some outdoor miles. Actually for the next week or so it looks like it is above 40 or so. Good enough for me.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Mid to high 50's but with a stiff wind. I wore slightly more than initially required and was happy about the decision when I got to the headwind portion of the ride. I managed body heat by opening and closing the zippers -- tailwinds: zippers open, headwinds: closed that made all the differnece. I did see on guy out in summer attire -- way too little by my standards but whatever works for him... About a dozzen or so bicyclists out there with me. Tomorrow we have concert tickets so no riding outside or inside for that matter.

Gordon: My guess is that it might have been just a bit chilly after a week in Cancun.

raffi

Low 30s today, but no wind so I decided it was a good day for a 20 miler. I'm a bit tired of my shorter ride. :)

With the temperature, I decided another foot warmer experiment was in order. This time I used two pair. One for my feet (made sure they started warming up before I put my shoes on) and the other pair on my hands (between my bike glove and outer glove). I figured the ones on my hands would allow me to determine how well they produced heat over the course of the ride since I don't seem to be able to tell much about what is going on inside my shoes.

What I found out is these (5 hour) warmers do a great job for about an hour. They will put out a noticeable amount of heat for another hour and steadily lose heat after that. Since my long winter rides have been 2 hours or less, this should be good enough.

That said, my shoes are probably cutting off enough blood supply to my feet that after the first hour, these things are not cutting it. That coupled with my left booty twisting around a bit and exposing some of my shoe, explains why my feet (especially the left) gets cold when I'm on a 1 1/2 to 2 hour ride. I will have to see what I think of these after using up the rest of the box I bought before I decide if I will ever buy another box. Winter riding is certainly a different kind of challenge.

raffi

Today was a planned rest day, but the weather would not cooperate. :) Mid 40s and sunny, how could I stay indoors. I did 23 miles and explored some new roads that are part of my planned 100 miler.

Sandra94103

Trying to rebuild my stamina after a long semester of not riding. Went out both Saturday and Sunday to ride to and through Golden Gate Park in SF. Want to build back up to my 20 mile Saturday and Sunday rides.

Ronin

Sandra, et al.,

Welcome to the thread Sandra. I have a feeling that as winter progresses you are going to make some of us quite jealous, particularly when snow and ice force us indoors an you'll still be outside. We are glad to know that you are back on your bike.

Raffi: We had concert ticket so, despite yesterday being very nice here in NJ I did not ride at all. Glad to read that you did get outside despite the cold.

As for me, today (Monday 9 Jan) was a very nice day albeit temperatures just below 40 but no winds other than the wind created by motion. I decided to work with a double base layer system (thin short sleeve next to skin with a heavier long sleeve over that) under a good wind resistant jacket and wind-front bib tights and toe-covers along with fingered gloves and a skull cap. I was just warm enough to not sweat but stay warm. I think this will work down to about 35-degrees, after that I need more or more if it is very windy. Linda is still busy with her annual charity projects so the tandem is still in "space-dock."

Gordonm

I just managed to get in 25 miles today. Little colder at the end but not bad at all. Dress right and it is certainly doable.

ORjt

Hi All,

Sandra - welcome, and indeed we are jealous (well, at least I am). SF is beautiful - I've ridden there once, many many years ago.

Got out for both days, yay! Saturday for 26 miles, Sunday for 12 (more time constrained than anything). Heavy overcast, and misty, but great for riding. Saw quite a few folks out on Saturday. Temp was decent - 46 on the bike.

Ronin - as you mention, it's all in how you dress. Windproof + breathable is such a nice combination. My clothing 'kit' is pretty similar to yours -- but LS compression as the 'next to skin' layer, with a SS jersey on top of that, then the jacket.

Take care, ride when you can, be safe!

--JT

Ronin

Gordon, JT, et al.,

One more January ride - YEAH! Although the temperatures were a bit higher today (Tue 10 Jan) the sky was overcast and there was a stiff westerly wind (NOAA reports it at about 16 mph). The same layering as yesterday and I was still properly warm without getting sweaty.

Tomorrow looks good as well. Thursday there is a forecast for rain so that will keep me indoors or I might make that a rest day following three days on the roads. The remainder of the week looks rideable but decidely colder. I may become a weather-wimp again.

JT: Yes, your description of the winter kit sounds a lot like mine. The only difference is that mine are Specialized wind-front jacket and bib-tights. Most of the manufacturers stuff is pretty much the same.

Gordonm

Yup. I hit the road at 2:30 today for a quick 23 miles. Temps were fine little windy coming home. No problem though for a January ride.

raffi
How much time cycling is enough for someone that should be walking for 45 minutes, 3 times a week?

Probably something you want to talk over with your doctor, but it will depend on how hard you cycle and what your goals are. If you raise your heart rate equally while walking or cycling, the same amount of time should do similar things for you.

If you end up like some of us crazy ones around here, the question becomes a bit more rhetorical. How much cycling is enough? Just a bit more. ;)

ORjt

Hi Justin

Welcome to DF, and to the thread. I was going to respond with "45 minutes, 3 times a week" - but I think Raffi's captured it better :)

For myself, during the week I typically will ride for 45 minutes to an hour (once enough daylight becomes available). Weekends, weather permitting, rides will typically range from 1.5-3 hours, longer --> later in the spring and summer.

I've been back on a bike since Nov 2009. I've only looked back to make sure there aren't any cars back there ... it's a great form of exercise. It's really helped my diabetes.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Justin, et al.,

I have to agree with Raffi and JT that you should ask your MD to be a bit more specific and offer a bicycle as an alternative. The key to any effective exercise program is doing something that you like to do that meets your fitness goals and needs. If bicycling is your thing you won't be worried about the minimums, you will be more interested in maximizing your time on the bicycle.

Of course, what constitutes a walk or a ride will be different for everyone. Using myself as an example: When I go out on the road it is usually for 1.5 hours or more and my average speed on the single bike is 17 t0 18 mph and the tandem is 15 to 16 mph. My average heart rate is in the high 140's with peaks above 160. Various calculators say that I burn up to 1500 calories in one ride but I'm not sure I believe them.

For other people their typical ride is different.

The same can be said for what constitutes a "walk" as there are race walkers and strollers.

Now, about my ride today: The temperatures continue to drop into the lower 40's and the winds today were light from the SE. Slightly overcast skies made for good vision without the glare. My legs were beginning to feel a bit tired. Tomorrow is forecast for lots of rain so I may be back to TdG or I may make it a rest day.

morrisma

Done 3 rides outside this year so far. The lazy part tries to resist but the weather cannot stay this good so out I go. One ride had a pretty stiff wind which cut the outbound speeds quite a bit but the ride back was wonderful.

I miss Golden Gate Park. I roller bladed, jogged and biked all through there many years ago. Sigh.

Mike

rwallen

Managed to get out for a short 9.75 mile ride outside yesterday. The weather was nice but a cold front was coming in. Now, we have snow on the ground. :( Along with work interupting me and the weather turning cold, while I was riding, I finished the rest of my 17 miles indoors. :(

raffi

Got another 20 miler in today. It was warm enough (around 40), but with wind and melting snow, it was not as fast a ride as I had hoped. But after almost a week off the bike, it was good to be back out there. It also was a good opportunity to start fixing my attitude about the wind. Since I'm planning on commuting even if it is windy, this is something I will need to do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.