Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2012 Outdoor Bicycle Riding

Ronin

Raffi, et al.,

I'm glad you are having warmer weather than we are here in NJ. As to the wind (a.k.a., the invisible mountains) I think all cyclists hate the winds, or at least head and cross winds. Personally, as a tandemist, crosswinds are the worst because they threaten loss of control. Head winds are nasty but you can get more aero and muscle through them (the Dutch professionals use their flat lands and head winds to become excellent climbers). Cross winds, even on a single are rough, particularly if they have strong gusts. However, tail winds are a dream.

Unfortunately, there are days when I think I'm getting head winds in every direction. All you can do is try to stay upright and pray for a tailwind for the last miles of the ride.

ORjt

Ronin,

It's always a headwind :mad: ;

For me, I've had the stinking flu since Wed of last week, so no riding, no exercise, just a lot of sleep. And then we got snow today, too. At least it was nice to look at.

Starting to feel a bit better, so will at least get back on the exercise bike in the next couple of days.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

JT, et al.,

Rhino viruses are a real pain. However, in the context of a lifetime they are small bumps in the road. I haven't been outside on the bike for a few days since winter has really settled in. Today it is warmer but the warmer temperatures came with the rains. So today was a TdG with nothing to note.

raffi

Looks like I'm grounded for the next few days. All my roads are drifting shut. I left work early so I had a chance to get home and almost did not make it (with a 4wd suburban). Once all of this melts, I will have some pretty soft roads to help me build up my strength.

Gordonm

I got out this afternoon. The roads were still very wet with some puddles. Temps were great at about 48 when I took off. Got in 24 miles before the sun went down. I try to take advantage of the warmer weather no matter what. My bike and me were pretty sandy and muddy but it all washes off.

raffi
Temps were great at about 48 when I took off

Grumble grumble... *looks outside at blizzard like conditions* grumble grumble.... Wait! I've got skis! While not bike riding, it's a great workout. :)

Off to strap on the plastic sticks of death and see how well I'm doing this year...

ORjt

Worst possible weather here (west of PDX). 37 and rain. Lots of slush on the ground - we did get some sticking snow last night, but not enough to impact my commute to work. I think the rainy season's finally arrived. (That's ok, it's been overall pretty dry so far this winter - I've racked up quite a few road miles - a lot more than I expected).

Finally enough over my cold/flu to have gotten back on the exercise bike last night for about 30 minutes - so it'll be Tour de Living Room for me for a while ...

C'mon, spring!

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

I finally caught a break. We were out in the car doing errands and I was judging both the roads and the weather (high 40's with a good West wind). There were two possible routes one would make me and the bike filthy (lots of water on the road) the other dirty -- I chose the dirty route. Despite the wind it felt so good to be outside. I came across two other cyclists while riding. The second of the two is a local semi-pro and after I passed him he locked onto my wheel and drafted me for over a mile to where our routes diverged. I'm old enought to be his father and he's drafting me at 20mph -- go figure!

Tomorrow has outdoor potential as well albeit a bit colder (low 40'). Then the rains come again. Oh well, plenty more opportuities for stages of the TdG lie ahead before spring comes to NJ.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Two days outside in a row! Tomorrow is forecast for winter weather (sleet/snow) then changing to rain as it gets warmer. Since I have over 100 miles in my legs already this week I have declared tomorrow to be a rest day and I'll be back at it (probably in the garage) on Friday. We're having a warm winter so I really cannot complain. In a "normal" year the temperatures would be in the low 30's and there would be a lot of snow on the ground and the roads would be nasty. Hope everyone else is doing fine.

Gordonm

Yes I have riden the last two days also. Taking advantage of every day I can with it being warm. Looks like the weekend my be OK also. I'll keep at it as long as the weather holds out and temps are good.

Sandra94103

Jt and Ronin- thanks for the welcome!

Weather in SF still unseasonably dry and warm. Rode out to classes for the first time since the beginning of last semester. The commute here and back home is 14 miles total. Gonna try to ride to the beach and back this Saturday for a short 10 mile ride. Stay warm, dry and safe everyone!

Oh and can I just say OMG since getting my blood sugars under better control with the help of this forum, riding is soooo much easier. I want to smack myself for not figuring that one out. Last semester my commutes felt like I was riding through sand. Duh! My blood sugar levels were through the roof, no wonder!

Ronin

Hi Sandra!

Congratulations on the control. Yeah, exercise helps in many wondrous ways and when you find a type or exercise that you actually like and is both practical and fun -- what a great combination!

The weather here in NJ is less than cooperative but tomorrow promises a return to the road and Linda's almost completed her annual agreement renewals so the tandem may well roll tomorrow!

I have one bit of ironic news: I mentioned earlier that CVS was having a sale on TrueTrack test strips and I ordered a bunch (six boxes -- their maximum order) and included with the order were six $1-off coupons for -- you guessed it Hersey's Chocolates! Linda came running when I opened the box and started laughing.

raffi

I have one bit of ironic news: I mentioned earlier that CVS was having a sale on TrueTrack test strips and I ordered a bunch (six boxes -- their maximum order) and included with the order were six $1-off coupons for -- you guessed it Hersey's Chocolates! Linda came running when I opened the box and started laughing.

If it's good for the Hersey's 100% cocoa bars, I'd go for it. Otherwise, talk about missing the mark. Then again, from a marketing perspective, maybe not...

Sandra94103
Hi Sandra!

The weather here in NJ is less than cooperative but tomorrow promises a return to the road and Linda's almost completed her annual agreement renewals so the tandem may well roll tomorrow!

Geez Louise talk about crazy! You think Hersey's and the test strip company are owned by the same people?

Tandem- grrrr! I'm a really slow rider and when I think of tandem bikes, all I can think of is the time I was passed riding up hill by a couple on a tandem bicycle. That felt a tad bit well... embarrassing! Have fun though! And agreed, finding the right type of fun exercise is the best. Sounds like you've found it too.

Going out again today. My husband Paul and I are meeting up with another couple. Probably riding to the beach and back but who knows. The weather promises to be sunshiny again. I can[t believe it. I know it's bad for the environment- the lack of rain, but it's good for my physical and mental health!

Have a great day everyone!

Ronin

Sandra, et al.,

Yeah, occasionally we tandemists can confuse the single bike riders. We have a couple in our club that regularly pass single bikes on uphill sections, in fact they did the local "Hillier Than Thou" which includes a 24% grade and they rode all the way up and over passing single riders that had to get off and walk! However, most of us have a hard time passing singles uphill -- downhill is a whole different matter we're really fast downhill.

We did get out on the tandem today and it was the fist cruise of the Voyager for 2012. Linda hasn't been on the tandem in over a month due to projects and weather -- we have a long climb back to peak tandem-fitness as our average speed for 22 miles was only 15.1mph. Of course the return leg put us dead into the wind which did not help. Even my legs aren't used to powering the mass of the tandem so it wasn't all Linda's condition. We only hope that the weather holds. We'll try another ride tomorrow and possibly Monday, but then the weather gets colder again.

Regarding the coupons: We gave them to a neighbor who loves candy and he's quite happy.

1bigdawg

The only reason I have not been commuting to work since Jan 5th is I broke my collar bone in a minor accident that did not involve a motor vehicle. I was heading home and I was on one of my darker side streets and even thought I have a good bike light and additionally an even better helmet light I did not see the softball size piece of asphalt in the road. Eighteen mph to zero in an instant, hit hard on my right knee, hip, elbow and back of my right shoulder and the broken right collar bone.

Today is 3+ weeks since the accident and I'm feeling probably 85%, follow-up visit with the doctor was positive. Either later today or tomorrow I'll go for a test ride as riding on the street is much different than riding on the trainer. Monday I will begin commuting to work again I really wanted to start last week but my wife reminded me I am 57 not 27 and rightly so.

Last year I rode nearly 6000 miles after being diagnosis as pre-diabetic, cycling is my life saver.

Ronin

Hi BigDawg!

OUCH! Riding in the dark, or even low-light conditons, is dicey. Did you have the clavicle screwed together? 6000 miles/year is awesome. I've come close but only close to that number of miles in a year. Glad to read that you are healing and will be back on the roads soon.

I opted for indoor today only because the weather and the timing conspired against a road ride. We got involved in a number of activities in the morning and then the winds kicked up just as the temperatures started to drop. Rollers (I hate resistance trainers because they are mind numbing) are my preferred indoor torture.

1bigdawg

Ronin, yep it hurt and I agree dark / low-light level is dicey but I made a commitment to commute to work for health, environmental and financial reasons. I though the lights I had were enough so next year I will be upgrading to 2 - 500 lumen each on the bike along with my 300 lumin helmet light, I currently use Light and Motion lights.

With that said I took my first ride since the accident.

Distance 30.6 miles

Avg 17.1 mph

Max speed 25.9

Avg HR 146

Max HR 162

Time 1:47:41

So I'll be back to commuting to work Monday, days are getting longer and maybe I can get out of work a little earlier to reduce the low/dark light conditions. I've really missed cycling and looking forward to getting back to my daily rides. I have a 3 different routes I can take providing me with round trip route distances between 17 - 45. I'll probably ride a long route in the morning and maybe the shorts one in the evening as that is another way to lessen my time on the bike in the dark.

2011 Cycling miles 5957 (Jan 17 - Dec 31)

2012 Cycling miles 215 (9 rides in Jan)

Currently I'm not on any medications and awaiting results of blood test as I had my annual visit with my primary care doctor, I'll have to get my numbers so I can post them here.

Gordonm

Rode 60 miles this weekend. 32 yesterday when the temps were in the high 40s to low 50s. This morning it was 29 when I left but had one of the best rides in a while. Did 28 miles this morning and almost got run over by Rudolph and buddies. Had a few deer run across the road in front of me. Actually quite nice to watch as the bound back into the woods. Just perfect riding this morning if you dress right for it.

rwallen

1BD,

Sorry to hear about your accident but congrats on the mileage for the year!

Everyone else,

Keep up the great work! I hope to get outside today and maybe tomorrow. It looks like I will only log about 100 miles outside this month. The rest has been on the stationary bike. :(

Take care!

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

You are more determined than I am. I'm getting more like Linda and not liking much below 40. Lately the wind has been the primary factor keeping me inside. I can handle strong winds in mild to hot temperatures but in the cold it cuts right through me and cycling isn't much fun at all. Not that riding rollers in the garage is all that much fun either.

You are lucky to have just seen the deer crossing the road. Some years back, riding through the pine barrens Linda called out: "Look, a deer!" There was a herd of over 40 deer running as fast as they could across a field, crossing the road in front of us. I grabbed two hands-full of brake levers and managed to stop just as a big buck landed about a foot in front of the tandem. Locals told us that the Jersey Devil must have been chasing the deer. All I knew for sure was that we were very lucky indeed.

raffi

After a bit more than a week on the exercise bike, the snow melted off enough for me to venture out. The driveway was treacherous as were a couple of the more shaded parts of the route, but I managed to get a ride in without mishap.

Wow, I thought the roads were soft on some of my other rides, two feet of snow melting over a week and a good rain storm all night that accelerated the melt really softened thing up and left sections that were more mud than gravel. Trying to coast was just about a effective as it is on the exercise bike. ;) Even downhill required a bit of work.

Ronin

Raffi, et al.,

I can only imagine what your roads must be like. If nothing else you get a stiff workout -- even on the downhill sections when the rest of us just coast.

Today we did ge the tandem out. Temperatures were in the high 50's accompanied by a stiff West wind that really challenged us on the final third of the route. My legs are toast after five consecutive days of riding and I'll be pleased with tomorrow being a rest day -- the legs need that now. Actually, today would have been a perfect rest day but I wasn't going to cheat Linda out of a tandem ride as tomrrow we have a full schedule that precludes riding the tandem, and rain is forecast as well.

raffi

The driveway was in better shape today, but that's all that was. Things warmed up a bit more, so the riding temp was nice, but it also meant that a particularly shaded area had enough melting to become dangerous. While riding over ice up this stretch (and being quite happy I was not going down it) my rear wheel lost traction and I went down. No damage to the bike and no damage to the side I landed on, but seemed to have tweaked something on the side that landed on top. Nothing serious, but I might be sore for a day or two. The spot I slipped on did not look too bad, but I had trouble standing back up and keeping my feet. There was a nice film of water on top of the ice.

That little fall made up my mind for me that I won't be starting my commute until that patch is free of ice. I would be going down that stretch on the way to work, and I don't see how that would end well.

Sandra94103

Rode over the weekend and started riding to class and back home again. A twice a week commute. I've logged 36 miles since last Thursday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.