Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2012 Outdoor Bicycle Riding

raffi

I had a PBHAS problem on my bike today (Problem Between the Handlebars and the Seat). I had some fender rubbing that I tried to adjust before my ride. After my bumpy driveway, things were rubbing again so I stopped and re-adjusted. This was good for less than a mile and things were rubbing again. I tried to ignore it figuring I'd adjust things when I got home, but each bump I hit made things a bit worse.

So then I got the bright idea that a gentle tug on one side would adjust it well enough to fix the rub until I got home. You guessed it, this was the PBHAS in action. Reaching back and giving a gentle tug resulted in the wheel eating the fender and coming to an abrupt stop. As you might guess, reaching behind oneself is a very bad position to respond to a sudden stop. Needless to say, I went down. Fortunately, the most notable injury was to my pride.

Thas

Ouch! We haven't had snow here this year yet, thankfully, but I try to ride thru the season, too... will have to see how it goes (I have studs..). Going to remember not to make the mistake you made, though!!

I had what I hope was my only PBHAS problem of the year over the summer when I got doored - well almost, anyway. "Deftyl" avoided the door, but not the nearby parked car. Despite KNOWING it was the exact wrong thing to do, I reached out for the nearest "stable" object, falling of course, but also doing a good job to my shoulder. Yes: The ONLY place your hands can do any good is on the HANDLBAR where there are brakes and the possibility of actually steering!!!

Oh well...

raffi

Thas,

Welcome to the forums and our little bike crazy corner of it. You should go to the introductions section and introduce yourself. Lots of friendly helpful people around here.

Gordonm

Cold this morning. We took off and it was 30 degrees with a slight breeze. We had a Panara gift card in our pocket so we stopped at only 7 miles and shared a breakfast sandwich. Sat in front of the fire place for about 15 minutes then road home. Took a little longer route so it only totalled 16 miles but it is still a ride and better than sitting home. Weather looks decent for the next few days.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The weather is cooperative for now. Linda is still burried in year-end stuff so I'm on the single. Today I passed two other cyclists (both of them quite a bit younger) and had a great ride. I wasn't snarky today, just greeted both of them and wished them a nice ride. Tomorrow looks good but Sunday and Monday not so much. Looks like more stages of the annual TdG are in the future.

Raffi: I'm happy to read that you did not injure yourself.

Thas: Welcome to our little group and stay with us as we pedal into next year when we start the 2013 thread.

Gordon: Another really cold ride. My afternoon ride was in the low 50's with a moderate Westerly breeze. I can't motivate myself to ride at temperatures below 32 -- when I have to be aware that water freezes in my CamelBak tubes I stay inside. You have more fortitude than I do (even though I have the clothing to ride at much lower temperatures -- I just don't).

raffi

It's not how hard it is snowing, it's just the fact that snow hurts the eyes. There was a very light snow coming down on today's ride, but it was still impossible to keep my eyes open at any kind of speed. I will need to find some sort of good (non fogging) snow goggles.

raffi

It snowed a bit last night and was cold enough that the roads were a bit more firm covered in ice with a bit of snow on top. The studded tires performed beautifully and I did not realize how bad it was until a turkey tried to get away from me and, even with it's clawed feet, fell flat on its face.

ORjt

Raffi,

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Have you looked into skiing goggles? I don't recall having fogging issues, back when I used to ski --

It's been too wet to ride, and it looks to continue that way for a while. We're having high winds today (well, really - it was overnight), along with a blizzard (!) warning up in the mountains. No snow down here in the valley, though. (Or rather, no sticking snow -- we've had a bit mixed in with the rain on Saturday, and may have more in the next day or so). So - it's been 'Tour de Living Room' for me ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

Not sure if I should rates today's ride as challenging or just plain crazy. The driveway was iffy (if I went by my stated rules, I would not have ridden), the roads were pretty clear with some icy spots and some slush (occasionally at the same time) and that would have been challenging enough, but we are in the midst of a wind advisory. Oh and the temps were hovering around 30 degrees.

I was wearing my new gloves, they are very warm, but just a bit too big to fit comfortably behind the brake levers. However, the warmth was worth the tight fit. I was wearing one of those dessert things on my head (you know a balaclava :)) and that with the normal winter gear had my plenty warm and the wind meant I was not too warm.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Raffi: I had a good laugh with the mental picture of a turkey sliding around on the ice -- too bad you didn't have a video camera handy.

We've been very busy the past few days and the weather hasn't been cooperative either. Today I got out after two non-riding dayw. It was nice with temperatures in the low 50's and a moderate West wind. Linda just came in to tell me that it started raining just after I got inside -- talk about timing.

Nothing much else here.

rwallen

Hi all!

Hope everyone is well! I haven't posted in a little while. I have been riding, only once on the spin bike in the last week. I have been able to ride outside otherwise. Today will be on the SB since we had a cold front with some snow flurries come through this morning. I just wanted to take the time to wish everyone happy holidays!

Take care and safe riding!

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Despite all the setbacks during 2012 it looks like I'm going to achieve my goal of 5200 miles for the year (100 mile/week) and if the weather cooperates (the next few days are forecast to be really nasty) I'll even break the goal by a bit.

This year has flown by. I can remember setting up this thread way back in January. Most of us participants have been through our share of ups and downs this past year. A few of you started riding on a regular basis and Rick has joined Team Wells in the tandem realm.

The hours of daylight have bottomed out and in a few days, the minute-by-minute gain in daylight will begin again and all too soon another year will begin and we'll all set of annual odometers back to zero and start counting again.

No I haven't finished posting for this year but I'm begining to feel the year moving on right now.

Oh yes, today's single ride was much better than yesterday. While a few degrees colder, it was a lot easier because there wasn't any wind to speak of. I also was sharing the road with four other bicyclists all layered up for the cold, and one rider, older than me astride a very well maintained Motobecane complete with down-tube shifters working a 2x5 drive train and toe clips.

ORjt
Hi Everyone!

/some snippage for brevity --JT

No I haven't finished posting for this year but I'm begining to feel the year moving on right now.

Oh yes, today's single ride was much better than yesterday. While a few degrees colder, it was a lot easier because there wasn't any wind to speak of. I also was sharing the road with four other bicyclists all layered up for the cold, and one rider, older than me astride a very well maintained Motobecane complete with down-tube shifters working a 2x5 drive train and toe clips.

I'll be off work next week, and the weather looks like it may cooperate, off and on. I'm hoping to get in a few more miles before EOY, to meet my "stretch goal". I'll post my own summary at some point.

RE: the Motobecane: Those old French bikes can be quite nice - guessing from your description it would be mid-70's. I still have my ~1974 Peugeot, heavily upgraded, down in the basement. It's not currently ride-able; I'd love to do a full restoration at some point, though it is probably a bit big for me. (It always was). OTOH, can't really bear to part with it; we saw many, many miles together ...

Stay safe out there, and if I don't post much between now and then - best holiday wishes (for whichever holidays you all may celebrate) - to my DF friends out there ...

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

The past two days have been miserable for riding. Friday brought heavy rains and flooding of a lot of the roads around us. Saturday brought us high winds and I could not find the motivation to setup the rollers in the garage (The fact that Saturdays are Opera broadcasts -- I actually like Opera but only in live performace, disembodied voices just aren't the same).

Today, Sunday, is much better. Temperatures in the high 30's and light winds out of the West. Tomorrow looks like I might get in a quick ride, but then the weather turns nasty again. The good news is that I did make my goal of at least an average of 100 miles/week and I'll probably add a few more between now and the 31st.

For those on the list who celebrated Haunakah -- I trust it all went well. For the rest a Merry Christmas and/or a meaningful Kwanza. In any case the amount of daylight is ever-so-gradually increasing on this side of the equator and more daylight will eventually bring us spring (although we still have to make it through winter). So, a happy New Year to all.

raffi

As of today, I have caught back up to averaging 10 miles a day. 80 more miles this month and I will have 10 miles/day for the year, since it is a leap year, that will be 3660 miles. It's doable, but the weather and bikes will have to cooperate.

Speaking of bikes, my old bike (with studded tires) needs some attention from the LBS. I seem to have broken a spoke and my front derailleur is doing some pretty strange things that the LBS was not able to track down. Since it has done it again, maybe we can get to the bottom of it this time.

Gordonm

Started out on a ride today and one of the two of us had a small crash. And it was not me. She clipped a parked car due to another car behind us and just lost concentration for a moment. She is fine just a little sore with a slight cut on her side. She wanted to ride back but I said no and went back and got the truck and brought her home. The neighbors were very nice and offered to bring her inside while I came came back. Someone who was visiting the neighbors for the holidays was also a pumper and has been diabetic for 44 years. You never know when one of us will turn up. I did go out for 22 myself but was much more aware of surroundings. Just goes to show you that in a moemnt things can go very wrong. Stay safe out there

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to all

raffi

Sorry about the crash. Glad it was not too bad.

No riding for me today. 6" of snow means I might not make my goal. However, the cross country skiing was nice. :)

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The snow has arrived and another session of TdG is complete. Not exactly my favorite but with all of the interruptions to the usual schedule it is necessary. I managed to cover 27.75 miles in just one hour -- not bad, but I have done better. The rest of the week looks nasty so I doubt I'll be on the roads any time soon.

Gordon: Sad to read about the crash -- yes paying attention is essential. I'm glad you were there to make sure your riding partner got home okay.

lorilei

Yes...my advice when riding is to not break concentration and to know that parked cars are as dangerous as ones that move ....and definitely watch out for horse and buggy rides around this holiday season...hindsight is 20/20.

got some new riding glasses for xmas and am hoping they can help me identify objects to swerve around better..I catapulted over a car and landed smack on my pump...boy those things can bite you...the smallest cut bled for a good number of hours...adding a splash of red to my very green Christmas attire

Probably up around 3000 miles but the likelihood of having my bike turn to the next century on the overall odometer is not looking good between our rainy weather and my jostled muscles.

Hope you all have had a spectacular riding season...good on those of you who made your personal riding goals and for any of us that just put some good time in the saddle..see you in next year's thread:)

rwallen

Hi all,

I haven't had too much to write about. I have been riding when the weather has been nice and either riding the spin bike or not riding when the weather has been too cold. Too cold for me that is. Patti and I got the tandem out last Sat. It had been about 20 days since we had ridden it and I could tell. I met my goal close to the first of the month and will probably post the final numbers when the month is over. Until then, everyone have a safe and happy New Year's Eve.

raffi

With today's 20 mile ride, I made 300 miles/month, but it looks like I will fall short of 10 miles/day. So for 2012 my mileage total will be 3602 (unless I get one more ride in).

Today's ride started around 20 degrees and foggy. It's a good thing I don't need as much water when it is cold since my water line froze before I got a chance to drink any. While I did not need the water, I was not too happy about the extra 4lbs of useless weight.

When I got back, my family got a good laugh out of my ice beard. I had 4" icicles hanging off my beard from the fog and breathing.

Other than my toes, I was completely prepared and comfortable. The roads were cold enough that I had all the traction I needed (though I still road pretty slow, no 40 MPH downhills on ice for me). However, I think I will switch to cross country skiing until the roads clear up a bit more. It's a lot more stressful having to concentrate every moment not to get into trouble with unexpected ice conditions.

Gordonm

Probably the last one for 2012. We rode 19 miles this morning in 29 degrees with some wind. Little chilly but it still is a good ride. Total for this year is 4434 miles. A lot for me. Probably will not get that again for a while. Heres looking to 2013. We reset the counter tonight.

raffi

Some thoughts I gathered over the last year while biking

• While climbing a steep hill, a slight headwind is preferable to a slight
    tail wind. The tailwind can make it like riding an exercise bike in a
    heated room.

• Soft gravel is preferable to hard washboarded gravel, but not by much.

• Washboards and a stiff headwind make hill climbing the pleasant part of
    my ride.

• Heavy saddle bags help smooth out washboards

• It is very hard to maintain control downhill on washboards. Brakes are
    ineffective while the wheels are in the air.

• While moderate exercise is a great way to manage blood sugars, intense
    training takes more work to keep your blood sugars stable.

• Riding in a snow storm hurts. Ice crystals in the eyes are no fun.

• Adjustments made to the bike while riding it have a low probability of
    ending well.

• Riding in ice is not just about traction, ice ridges are actually a
    bigger problem.

Gordonm

Raffi, All good info! Ran over some ice this morning. Fortunatly I was aware of it and only a small patch but you brace yourself.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Has 2012 finshed already? As I type this it has been just over seven hours since 2013 began somewhere in the mid-Pacific and hour-by-hour groups of people all over the planet have been, or will be, celebrating the end of 2012 and the promise of 2013. Some of us (probably all of us) are going to stray off the straight-and-narrow path of diet control and work hard to pull it back tomorrow.

We've shared a lot this year and we've all learned a lot as well. We've all had our thrills and panics and it was, I think, a good year overall. Having this thread has been a motivator to keep on going even when the couch beckons or there is some alternative trying to get our attention. We've also had a few new additions to our little band of two-wheeled travelers and exercisers. We've even added one more tandem team to the mix!

I'll be setting up the 2013 Thread shortly but I'm sure there will still be a few year-end comments before this thread drifts down into DF archives.

I'm satisfied with my miles for 2012 and the general way I've maintained both my glucose control and weight (which, thanks to the holidays, is drifting up a bit -- happens every year). We'll be spinning those pedals onwards through 2013. Stay upright.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.