Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2012 Outdoor Bicycle Riding

Gordonm

Could not pass up another ride this afternoon. Only 1 problem I went down. I have not hit the ground in a long time so I was due. It was my own fault. I was riding with someone talking and got to close to the curb and when I looked forward my front tire was right up against the curb and was leaning the wrong way. Fortunatly it was a soft sholder and I just rolled onto it. Whats the first thing a biker checks for? Damage to the bike. Ok bike looks good. check to make sure insulin pump is OK. No problem there. I', laughing mu butt off at this point. Then check for cuts and bruises. Just a little skin off right below the knee. No harm done. I laughed the whole way home thinking how stupid I was and should pay more attention to where I'm going. Other than that it was a great ride. No ride tomorrow, but Friday looks promising.

ant hill

Well I was on my bike shopping and it's quite warm. I arrived home without a scratch!! :D As I was going to the shops I was not loaded but add 25 Pounds and you are a snail so my heart was pumping and sweating, OK I am not a fit guy. :( So I have done my workout today. :D

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

Sad to hear about the fall. I think we have all hit the pavement from time to time. Yeah, we always check the bike first -- what does that say about our priorities? Actually, when the tandem goes down I check Linda first and then we check out the tandem. Raffi -- that cartoon is bang-on.

We went out today despite the winds and they were brutal. But, we did our 22 mile loop and feel better for it. We are tired and hope that tomorrow has less wind.

Gordonm

Managed a crash free 35 miles today. Great day here for a ride. The wind was bad but I took a route that had mostly cross winds but the last 6 miles was dead into the wind. Just nice to be out in February and not be freezing.

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

I guess Linda and I timed our ride perfectly because we only had a moderate SW wind and no gusts (there were some earlier in the day). It was a whole lot better than yesterday and we both feel a lot less beat after doing the same 22 mile loop.

How is everyone else doing?

Gordonm

Gotta say we have been real lucky this winter weather wise. It was a little chilly this morning at 7 AM but I left and it was 31 degrees. but no wind. I love a Early Sunday morning ride. Nobody on the road at that time. Great time to ride. Went another 23 miles. This week looks pretty good also.

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

Yes this winter has been kind to bicyclists here in NJ and most of the mid-atlantic states. I won't argue the why's just be grateful.

Today, being a school holiday, was a great day for riding although the traffic was a little less predictable and there were more cars on the road than a typical monday. Fortunately the tandem does get noticed. Temperatures in the mid 40's with a NNW wind that wasn't too difficult to pedal against except for a few nasty gusts. Linda is getting her tandem legs back, as I am as well. Today I could really feel the muscles working as well as noticing that Linda was really adding to the power. Tomorrow and Wednesday look per NOAA so we should have a few really good days.

ORjt

It's been decent here in the PNW, too. Saturday and Sunday were back to 'polar bear' mode - it was colder (42/43) but mostly dry. Got out both days for shorter rides - about 12 miles each day. Grateful that it was outdoors, rather than on the exercise bike. We're back to rain for the week; we'll see what the coming weekend brings. So far, ~122 miles outside. Not bad for February.

Got my labs back from the Dr. A1C has dropped a full point, from 7.6 to 6.6. HDL (or whatever the good one is), has gone up from 38 to 44. It's never been over 40. Triglycerides have also dropped to 156. About time all this hard work is paying off!

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

JT, et al.,

Those are great numbers! Keep up the good work. Yes HDL is the good cholesterol so that going up is a very good thing indeed. Exercise is amazing.

Today Team Wells had heavy legs and high winds so we opted for a shorter ride of only 16 miles and that was enough for today. Tomorrow is forecast to be in the low50's. I have to keep remembering that it is still very early in the season so I have to keep my exptectations lower.

1bigdawg

Sorry to hear about your fall.

Experienced one of those myself on Jan 5th, came away with abrasions on the right knee, hip, elbow and back of right shoulder and a broken right collar bone. Commuting home on one of my darker street in between street lamps and even with my 300 lumen helmet light and my 165 lumen bike light I did not see the softball size piece of asphalt, 18.5 mph to 0 mph in 10 - 15 feet. I can liken it to what a WWF body slam might feel like.

I have to say I must be the luckiest guy right now. The initial pain and discomfort has been minimal, I was only in a sling for a couple of days. Went for a 2 & 6 week follow-up and the Dr. said at 6 weeks he thought it looked good and he said their appeared to be calcium forming and come back in 8 weeks. I did a test ride 24 days after the fall, told my wife I'll be back in 5 minutes or 2 hours.............1 hour 48 minutes and 30 miles later I was back home. Back to commuting to work the next day. First 2 weeks I did 110 miles then 140 miles the second week.

So as I said I'm lucky and more cautious and will be looking for many more lumens for next winter.

I'm off this week lots of spring stuff to do here in Phoenix and unfortunately not enough time to ride, got in 40 miles on Monday but probably nothing more until the weekend.

raffi

We have wind advisories here today, but at 40+ degrees, I went for it. Most of my ride avoided the cross winds, so no real danger of being knocked over. I will say, getting a 40+MPH gust on the back side while climbing a hill is quite the experience. What a way to climb. Now that same gust from the front while climbing is not quite as much fun...

rwallen

Bought a new Specialized cyclocross Tuesday and got to ride it yesterday. It will take a bit of getting used to. It was affected by the wind alot more than my heavier mountain bike typically is but I was able to get in about 21 miles. Stay safe!

Gordonm

Yesterday was way to windy here. 45+ mph gusts. I got out early this morning before 7AM and little wind but it was 31 degrees. Have to say Sunday morning rides are great at that time. Nobody on the road and it was a crisp clear morning. Had to be one of the better rides lately I have had. Managed 30 miles and the wind was kicking up the last 8 which was dead into the wind. This week looks excellent for riding here. High 40s to low 50s.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

What a week last week was for us! Sheesh, between weather and car issues as well as prior commitments we were off the bikes for four days. We now have a new Corolla in the driveway and we got out for a nice ride on Monday (today). Tomorrow looks promising but a bit cooler, but the rest of the week is not promising at all. Oh well, it is still winter and we have more outdoor miles this year than previous years.

rwallen

Ronin,

Wow, we're about tied for miles for the year. Luckily, I have been able to get outside more over the last few days. I want to add some more distance to my riding, maybe one day a week. In June, I hope to ride the Katy Trail from one end to the other and have several century rides planned. So, I think I want to start adding some distance as soon as the weather permits.

Take care!

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Congratulations on logging all those miles! To be this many miles logged this early in the year is a boost to the ego, if not a testament to determination despite weather. I/we don't do centuries anymore. We are more in the daily logging of 20+ miles about five days per week. Club rides are a bit longer so when the club season gets rolling the miles will go up. Keep pedaling.

Ronin

Everyone:

Working two similar threads might be a bit confusing. Today (2 March) I got outside despite the raw feeling in the air and heavily overcast skies. No winds and I had a later start than usual due to a visit with a club member who just had a hernia repair. What was interesting was that with the later start there were not as many school busses on the roads I was riding -- that could prove interesting later in the spring.

Weather for tomorrow is forecast to be even more rain so, at best I'll be indoors or worst I will declare a rest day.

rwallen

I didn't ride yesterday. It would have been my first ride indoors in the last 7 days. Maybe that's why I didn't. :) No, actually, I just didn't feel like it. I was extremely tired. However, the previous 6 days were just great.....riding outside on the new cyclocross. I am soo ready for the warmer weather and for all of the rides I have planned.

Take care!

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Today (3 March) was a "Charachter Builder." The local airport was showing wind speeds of 10 mph just before we sarted our 22 mile ride today. I should have known that the data was behind the time shortly after we started the ride because we had great tail winds. (FWIW: our basic route goes basically to the east for the first six miles and the last six miles are going west. The 10 miles or so in-between are a mix of the winds coming in a variety of directions.) The return was the killer as we struggled to maintain 12 to 13 mph over most of the final six miles. When we got home I re-checked NOAA and the airport had updated its conditions (they do this hourly) and now the winds were out of the west at 28 mph! Fortunately, tomorrow is a rest day due to concert tickets we have.

The up-side was that the temperatures were in the mid 50's, and we have more hours of sunlight. Keep pedaling everyone!

1bigdawg

Had a couple of windy days hear one day gusts over 30 as a headwind, otherwise minimal winds.

Got to commute to work all this week, except missed a couple of evening rides home, got in 134 miles in this week and still have tomorrow ride with the wife to add.

Checked out some parts of the Tour de Cure 80.9 mile course I'll be riding and realized there will be more climbing involved than my daily mileage get me. So starting Monday I'm eliminating a flatter section of my commute/fitness morning ride (evening ride is 8) of 22 miles for a few miles of steeper climbing just to get my legs and lungs ready.

The weather here in Phoenix for the next 15 days looks great upward temperatures Today 73 high 48 for a low gradually increasing to 88/63 by March 17th.

rwallen

Wow bigdawg!

What great weather! You are definitely lucky! Congrats on riding the TdC. Ours is in June. I am riding as well.

Stay safe!

raffi

Things have finally warmed up long enough to melt the snow. The roads are still very wet and very soft, but at 50+ degrees, I could not stay indoors. A 20 mile ride has shown me that I have not had enough longer rides lately. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. I feel great.

ORjt

Nice to hear folks are getting out and riding - and about people doing their local Tour de Cure.

We had our first training ride for TdC on Saturday. (Portland's is last weekend of July). We had, I think, over 50 riders show up! A great ride along the Willamette river, then another rider and I did a ride out through SE Portland. Logged ~25 miles on Saturday. (Mid 50's on the bike, and blustery, but no rain!)

Sunday was gorgeous - around 60, and sunny, with only a light wind. There's a threat of snow for tomorrow, so the weather still can't decide what season we're in. Crocus are blooming, and the fields are turning bright green, so spring isn't *too* far away.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Gordonm

Put in another 25 miles today. It was a little different for me. I am looking at some new bikes as mine is quite old and has over 20,000 miles on it. Still works but is in need of replacement. Took out a new Specialized today. All Carbon fiber. Wow what a difference. Much more comfortable and the stiffness and speed I can get from it is way above what I am riding. I will demo many more bikes but this really peaked my interest. So hopefully in another few weeks I will have a new ride in the garage.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.