Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2012 Outdoor Bicycle Riding

ORjt
Put in another 25 miles today. It was a little different for me. I am looking at some new bikes as mine is quite old and has over 20,000 miles on it. Still works but is in need of replacement. Took out a new Specialized today. All Carbon fiber. Wow what a difference. Much more comfortable and the stiffness and speed I can get from it is way above what I am riding. I will demo many more bikes but this really peaked my interest. So hopefully in another few weeks I will have a new ride in the garage.

Nice! - It's amazing how responsive, and well, carbon rides, isn't it? I upgraded in September to my Madone. I'm still amazed at the overall ride quality. Good luck on your search, keep us updated.

--JT

Gordonm
Nice! - It's amazing how responsive, and well, carbon rides, isn't it? I upgraded in September to my Madone. I'm still amazed at the overall ride quality. Good luck on your search, keep us updated.

--JT

Testing a Cannondale Synapse this weekend. They are bringing one in from the other shop for me try out. I ride a 52 inch frame and they did not have to many. The Specialized was a 54 and just a tad big. I'll post my final decision when I get it. My old Trek is all Carbon Fiber but way different from the new ones. 20 years of technology is a big difference.

raffi

Despite buckets of rain yesterday, thanks to a cool day today most of the roads were almost as solid as they get in the summer. I was feeling pretty good as I came into the last corner before home. That corner was covered in ice. Apparently I hit the ice a little off center and immediately started sliding sideways. I managed to straighten things out and ended up almost off the road riding the rougher ice at the edge. That led to sliding sideways on the other side. Once again I straighted it out just in time to actually be at the corner and needing to turn. I aimed at a dryish patch and managed to make the corner. I think I got my heart rate almost as high with the sliding as I did climbing the hills. :)

rwallen

raffi,

Thankfully you didn't crash! I started my first, what I am calling training rides. I planned on doing 25 miles but I got a late start and although the temp. was around 70 we had strong 40-50 mile winds. I rode a route to where the winds were mainly from the side but it was still an interesting ride. I only ended up doing 18 miles which is about a normal daily mileage for me. My goal is to work up to around 50 miles a day or two a week and probably 20-25 miles the other days.

Stay safe!

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

We had some plumbing issues yesterday so the riding was tabled because we had to wait for the plumber. The up-side is that today (7 March) was beautiful with temperatures in the low 60's (forecast to be higher tomrrow) with a steady 14 mph SW wind (you can't have everything). Because it was so nice, and the climb for the 25 mile loop is NE (which gave us a tailwind up the climb) we went for the longer ride. It was great!

Gordon: I think you ride a 52 cm frame (that is about 21-22 inches) a 52 inch frame would have a seat tube four feet high and I don't think your legs are that long.

Raffi: Be careful out there. I' happy to read that you did not crash as that could have been ugly.

Gordonm

Hmm yes meant cm not inches. That would be a big frame. I went for a little extended 30 mile ride today on my old bike. Took in a good 30 miles. Some head and then some tail winds so it all evens out. Weather is perfect. Traveling the next 2 days so no riding for me.

raffi

The weather is getting better. I got my first commute of the year in. It was not as fast as I would have liked between picking my way around a couple of icy spots and the predicted slight tail wind turning into a stiff headwind, but I made it in and it feels good. Now to start building up to commuting 5 days a week (if the weather cooperates).

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

It looks as though this is going to become a frustrating day. The temperatures are positively wonderful but only brought to the area by very strong wind gusts (over 30 mph) and that is way too dangerous for the tandem and not exactly great for the single bike. Linda is in a meeting as I type this and if conditions improve (unlikely) we will ride today.

Oh well, spring is coming and consistent warmer weather will come along with that transition. We don't take risks with high winds because one serious fall can end the entire season.

Ronin

Everyone!

I changed my mind and rode the single bike despite the winds and gusts. I am glad that we did not ride the tandem because there were a few spots where the cross-winds were really nasty and I had to struggle to stay on my line and upright. I did get a drafting partner for a couple of miles. Thanks to the 70 degree temperatures all the cyclists out were in their summer gear. As we traded pulls into the wind I commented that I was glad that it was partly cloudy because if we had bright sun somebody could get snow-blind from all the sun on the white exposed skin. That was good for a laugh.

In the end I just could not stay inside. Tomorrow NOAA says that we will go back to seasonal temperatures (low 50's) so today was a hint of what is to come. Linda was only semi-disappointed that she missed a ride on such a warm day. However, she knows how the tandem reacts to cross-wind gusts.

raffi

It was in the 50s for the ride back home. I was only wearing a couple of jerseys and bike shorts and I was not cold (most of the ride). I made a bit better time on the homeward journey, apparently I got my snacks dialed in well enough, I had all the energy I needed.

I don't know how long it will take me to work up to 5 days a week commuting. I can tell I'm not very close at the moment, but I trust it will build up quickly enough.

Peter_V

Anyone here have problems with muscle pain when riding a lot? I thought it might be related to one of the supplements I was taking (Alpha Lipoic Acid) but I stopped taking that a couple months ago and it's coming back.

The only I thing I can figure is that it got better when my glucose levels got a little out of control, so I'm thinking maybe it's related to glycogen in the muscles or something.

FWIW I've logged over 600 miles on the bike so far this year, but I've been out of town a lot on business.

ORjt
Anyone here have problems with muscle pain when riding a lot? I thought it might be related to one of the supplements I was taking (Alpha Lipoic Acid) but I stopped taking that a couple months ago and it's coming back.

The only I thing I can figure is that it got better when my glucose levels got a little out of control, so I'm thinking maybe it's related to glycogen in the muscles or something.

FWIW I've logged over 600 miles on the bike so far this year, but I've been out of town a lot on business.

Peter,

Nice work on the mileage - you're doing well! Couple of thoughts - 1) could it just be dehydration? - or more specifically, low electrolytes? 2) I've taken 'tart cherry extract' it seems to help a bit, and I can't imagine that it could hurt anything.

I'm hoping to get some riding in over the next day or so before the rain sets back in.

Stay safe out there!

Ronin

Peter, et al.,

Muscle pain when cycling -- I get it all the time, but then I "hammer" most of the time so I expect my muscles to ache a bit. I find that doing a self massage after rides as well as a pre-bed ibuprophen does eliminate night cramps, but if I have a particularly hard ride (like I did yesterday) I can get caught in the middle of the night.

If you ride hard enough long enough you will deplete your muscle stores of glycogen and then you get the lactic acid burn (that is the signal to the liver to release more glycogen). If that is the pain you feel that is totally normal and to be expected.

Today we got out on the tandem since we had sustained winds around 20 mph. It is a beast but at least no gusting to give us a surprise. My legs are toast rignt now so tomorrow is up for discussion. Actually, Sunday looks better than Saturday. And it is time to address some yard work (oh joy!).

Peter_V

Not likely to be a hydration issue. Even if I pee right before I ride, I have to stop and pee like a race horse after 45 minutes of riding. My commute is about an hour long, so I used to just hold it until I finished, but my urologist told me to stop doing that because I now have an enlarged bladder (about 2x normal size).

Anyway, the urologist says the fact that I'm filling up my oversize bladder in 45 minutes indicates that I'm very well hydrated.

My sodium and potassium levels always test out right in the middle of normal range, plus I usually drink G2 on the ride. I'm going to switch to normal Gatorade now though and see if that helps with the hypoglycemia.

I'll look up the tart cherry stuff though.

My pain starts the minute I get on the bike, even taking two days off doesn't seem to make much difference. It does ease up after about 10 minutes, which is about how long it takes your body to ramp up the fat processing systems, so I figure it's probably something related to glycogen.

I eat a fairly low carb diet most of the time so maybe my muscles are in a chronic state of glycogen depletion.

rwallen

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone who were able to ride today. It was a decent day here so I was able to get out and do a little over 21 miles. I have a question to ask everyone if they don't mind. What are your riding schedules like? Do you ride every day? What is a typical distance when you ride and roughly the mph. I'm just curious is all. I usually ride every day. I try to do at least 17 miles but I am trying to increase that and work up to at least one day a week doing between 35-50 miles. So far, I haven't done that yet. I tend to do about 17 mph on the stationary bike but only between 12 and 14 mph. avg. on my regular bike. Today I averaged 13.5 mph. Anyway, take care!

Stay safe!

Gordonm

My ride routine is ride whenever I can. I try to get in at least 3 rides a week sometimes I get in 6 a week. My usual ride is about 20 to 25 miles. I average 18.5 mph pretty much all summer long. I will try to get in a 40 mile ride on occasion with a few 50 miles also. I plan on some longer rides this summer.

raffi

Last year, I tried to ride most every day. My minimum ride would be 6 miles (gravel steep hills), but I would try to get in an 8 or 10 mile ride in as well. On the weekends, I would go for 15 - 50 mile rides. My plan this year is to commute to work (18 miles each way gravel steep hills) with a longer ride on Saturdays and use that for building up to a 100 mile ride sometime this summer.

raffi

It should not be possible to do an 18 mile loop with a constant headwind. Did I mention it was a LOOP? And I'm not talking a little breeze either, more like a down shift to go down hill sort of head wind. Yikes, what a good workout. Glad tomorrow is a planned rest day.

Gordonm

Ok I'm getting tired of going down now. I am riding a Cannondale Synapse Carbon bike right now for a demo ride. Took it out and at about mile 23 ride was going great. So I go to make a turn in a busy intersection and Uh Oh it feels like my rear tire is on ice. I go down right in the intersection. Little embarrasing having cars whiz by as you are on the ground picking yourself up. Wondering what I was in I quickly get off to the side only to find a large staple in the rear tire and it blew out right in the turn. Oh well pride a little injured but bike and rider are in good shape. Being a demo bike I had nothing with me but a cell phone call home brought the rescue ride home. New tube in and I'm ready for another scheduled 32 mile ride tomorrow morning. I do like the bike though.

dfchatten

I was just diagnosed T2 a few weeks ago, so I am still learning a lot ( and overwhelmed w/info right now ). What do my roadie friends do for supplements on longer rides ? Are sports drinks out ? Can I still use Gu packs ? .... I'm pumped to see a bike thread. I live in Central, MA... and we're having an early spring... 60's next week... time to ride :) Thanks for any advice in advance. Dan

Gordonm
I was just diagnosed T2 a few weeks ago, so I am still learning a lot ( and overwhelmed w/info right now ). What do my roadie friends do for supplements on longer rides ? Are sports drinks out ? Can I still use Gu packs ? .... I'm pumped to see a bike thread. I live in Central, MA... and we're having an early spring... 60's next week... time to ride :) Thanks for any advice in advance. Dan

I am a type 1 so it is different but I usually carry a bottle of water and a bottle of carb drink. I do use Gu packs. I have exprimented a l ot and this is what works for me. Everyone is different and a lot depends on length and intensity of rides.

I did a much better ride today than yesterday. The Cannondale I am riding right now is such a huge difference from what I am used to, it is great. Rode 32 miles in a group ride this morning. Something I found locally that they do every Sunday morning. Great bunch of people. So I found my new Sunday morning ritual.

Ronin

dfchatten, et al.,

Hi and welcome to the bicycling thread! Okay, you are newly diganosed as a Type-2; I'm one of those in-between folks called a Pre-Diabetic. Since you and I still make insulin we can manage carbohydrates but not at the same level as a non-diabetic. This leads to my consistent question of all the newly diagnosed: "What is your insulin and/or C-Peptide level?" I ask this because a lot of MD's get an adult showing elevated FBG's and make the knee-jerk diagnosis of Type-2 and usually put those people on Type-2 medications (with all the side effects). Another question: "Are you basically sedentary and overweight?" If not be sure to get your insulin/C-Peptide levels checked because you may be, like me and many others, a person with declining pancreatic function which means that you are not "Insulin Resistant" and the Type-2 drugs won't help.

As to the use of sports drinks and things like GU -- that is something you will need to experiment with. If you are doing very long rides (in excess of 90 minutes as a hard pace) you can probably use some additional carbs without causing a problem. However, it is the off-bike carbs that are the area you need to work on because these are the tricky ones. For me, I find that post ride carbs are absorbed quickly and do not have a negative effect on my BG levels (see my A1c's for confirmation). I also know that my pancreatic output is on the low side so I dose the carbs out sparingly because a large dose challenges my pancreas. This is the learning phase and everyone is different.

Now about today in NJ! It was beautiful! Low to mid 50's with a light SW wind. We were a bit overdressed for the end of the ride because the temperatures are climbing still. However, it felt really good to sweat and we both used our zippers to vent heat when the wind as at our back. We set a good pace as well thanks to the lower wind resistance. The next two days look better, and this is still mid March!

Gordon: Glad you found a Sunday AM group. Sometimes that is all the motivation you need to get that little extra power into the pedals. Also glad to read that the Cannondale is working for you. We're busy resurrecting our first tandem (older and heavier) for trail duty as our Tandem Club is starting a trails group for people who are road-shy but like to ride their tandems. It will be the perfect retirement function for "The Enterprise." However, we still love to hammer away on our Co-Motion Custom (more than 15 pounds lighter and really skinny tires). Pretty good for a team with a combined age over 130!

ORjt

Hey everybody,

Catching up on all the new messages, etc:

dfchatten: welcome! -- You've already gotten some good advice. I'll just add that you should do a fair amount of testing to see how your body reacts to exercise and carbs. Everyone is different - you'll just need to find the things that do and don't work for you.

As for my riding schedule - now that we have DST, my general plan is 3-4 rides weekdays after work - these are usually around 15 miles - about whatever I can do in around an hour. Weekends, I'll ride with my Tour de Cure group; we have "training" rides that start out at 10 miles, and work up to around 50 miles, and will run through end of July. Our TdC is the last Saturday in July. I'm aiming for the century this year. While we have shorter rides on Saturday, I'll also try to get in longer rides on Sunday - of maybe 30 miles or so. Always weather permitting. It didn't permit too much this weekend.

Speaking of which - Saturday we had a nice loop around Sauvie Island - 12 miles around bucolic farmland on an island sitting in the Columbia River. Started out nice enough - could actually see the sun behind the cloud cover. About halfway around, it started spitting light rain, and by the final miles it was raining pretty well. Hung out for a bit hoping the rain would pass so that I could make another loop, but it was really too wet to be much fun - it's still a bit cold for me to do any real wet weather riding. Still and all - it was a fun ride, just not as long as I'd planned for. We have a great group of folks, of all abilities. We had 47, I think, turn out ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

ORjt

Had a thought about "*ade" drinks. I find that electrolytes are really helpful once rides get much beyond an hour or so, especially when the weather gets warmer, but I try to limit the overall amount of carbs I'm taking in. I've been using NUUN in one water bottle, there are enough flavors to choose from that are not overly sweet. I like the lemon tea, and the orange flavors. (I'm also not generally a fan of artificially sweetened products, but this seem to be the lesser of two evils - I really don't want a high-carb drink ... )

Hope this helps ...

-JT

dfchatten
dfchatten, et al.,

Hi and welcome to the bicycling thread! Okay, you are newly diganosed as a Type-2; I'm one of those in-between folks called a Pre-Diabetic. Since you and I still make insulin we can manage carbohydrates but not at the same level as a non-diabetic. This leads to my consistent question of all the newly diagnosed: "What is your insulin and/or C-Peptide level?" I ask this because a lot of MD's get an adult showing elevated FBG's and make the knee-jerk diagnosis of Type-2 and usually put those people on Type-2 medications (with all the side effects). Another question: "Are you basically sedentary and overweight?" If not be sure to get your insulin/C-Peptide levels checked because you may be, like me and many others, a person with declining pancreatic function which means that you are not "Insulin Resistant" and the Type-2 drugs won't help.

!

Thank you for the advise. I have to go back in 30 days for a follow up. I have already printed and added this to my journal :)

70 today....I'll be out for a 20 loop for sure. Mid March riding -- Nirvana baby. Now, I just wish that I didn't couch-P it all winter... Ah, regardless, being out is better then being home. Happy and Safe riding all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.