Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2012 Outdoor Bicycle Riding

Peter_V
Hi all,

I have a question to ask everyone if they don't mind. What are your riding schedules like? Do you ride every day? What is a typical distance when you ride and roughly the mph.

Stay safe!

I commute to work as often as I can. At least three days a week, four if I'm not hurting to much. My commute is a bit over 15 miles each way. Plus I try to get in at least one 15-20 mile ride on the weekend.

My average speed varies depending on temperature (slower when it's cold) and how windy it is, so my summertime averages are faster than winter time. Summer I average about 15.5 mph, this past January my average speed was 13.1 mph. February back up to 14.1 mph.

This mornings ride started out slow but after about 10 minutes the pain eased up and the rest of the ride went pretty quick, so I averaged 14.6 mph.

Peter_V
dfchatten, et al.,

This leads to my consistent question of all the newly diagnosed: "What is your insulin and/or C-Peptide level?"

My fasting insulin was 3.1 and fasting C=peptide was 2.0 (not taken at the same time and they didn't do fasting glucose with them, but guessing it was around 110)

I ask this because a lot of MD's get an adult showing elevated FBG's and make the knee-jerk diagnosis of Type-2 and usually put those people on Type-2 medications (with all the side effects). Another question: "Are you basically sedentary and overweight?" If not be sure to get your insulin/C-Peptide levels checked because you may be, like me and many others, a person with declining pancreatic function which means that you are not "Insulin Resistant" and the Type-2 drugs won't help.

You're right about that, the only reason I know what my insulin and c-peptide levels are is because I insisted they test them. Pretty sure I'm not insulin resistant, and I don't have any of the typical symptoms of insulin resistance (I have excellent BP and Cholesterol levels).

However, I'm going to disagree with the statement that T-2 drugs don't work, maybe they don't for some folks, but they do work for me. I'm taking 850mg of Metformin twice a day, I can't keep my BS under control with out it, I know because I've tried going off of it twice.

Given how Metformin works (reduces absorption of carbs, interferes with the liver's ability to convert glycogen into glucose, and enhances insulin sensitivity) I don't see why it would not work for someone who is not IR but doesn't produce enough insulin.

I'm trying to get switched over to a different Endocrinologist (my current one is worthless), hopefully I can talk the new one into doing a OGTT and GAD testing, then I should know for sure what's going on.

I tried doing a sort of an OGTT on my own. At a couple cupcakes (63 grams of carbs) and measured my glucose at 30 minute intervals. Started at 90, 103 at 30 minutes, 109 at 60 minutes, 139 at 90 minutes, unfortunately I was doing this in the evening and I fell asleep before the 2 hour.

I'm not sure, but it looks to me like maybe I just ran out of insulin after about an hour.

As to the use of sports drinks and things like GU -- that is something you will need to experiment with. If you are doing very long rides (in excess of 90 minutes as a hard pace) you can probably use some additional carbs without causing a problem. However, it is the off-bike carbs that are the area you need to work on because these are the tricky ones. For me, I find that post ride carbs are absorbed quickly and do not have a negative effect on my BG levels (see my A1c's for confirmation).

I read somewhere that after exercising your muscles can absorb glucose from the blood without needing any insulin. That would explain your results.

I normally drink Gatoraid G2 when I ride, it's has 1/3 the carbs of normal Gatoraid (7gm vs 21gm), but lately I've been having issues with going hypoglycemic during/after exercise so I'm now trying normal gatoraid to see if that helps.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Three days in a row with excellent temperatures for riding (okay, unusual temperatures for March in NJ). That being said, numbers don't lie either. For some time we have had a training regemen of three days riding followed by a rest day. Looking at our average speeds I saw the drop off in today's speeds -- not a whole lot but and indicator that our legs need a rest and alternative movement (i.e., walking). So, tomorrow will be a rest day and I will get a lot of walking while I put the spring treatments on the lawn as well as a PM walk with Linda around the village.

ORjt
Hi Everyone!

Three days in a row with excellent temperatures for riding (okay, unusual temperatures for March in NJ). That being said, numbers don't lie either. For some time we have had a training regemen of three days riding followed by a rest day. Looking at our average speeds I saw the drop off in today's speeds -- not a whole lot but and indicator that our legs need a rest and alternative movement (i.e., walking). So, tomorrow will be a rest day and I will get a lot of walking while I put the spring treatments on the lawn as well as a PM walk with Linda around the village.

Heh, you're lucky! We've had a full blown return to winter, with snow on the ground on the Oregon Coast. That's just about unheard of in January - let alone the middle of March. Unlikely to get out for any road-riding this week, despite DST. :mad:

Perhaps by the weekend ... in the meantime, more Tour de Living Room.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

ORjt

And having said that, I got home to clearing skies, and more-or-less dry roads (the latter not an issue, just a pleasant surprise that there wasn't a lot of standing water).

It was cold and blustery - 42-44F, and I'd guess winds gusting around 20, but was still able to get in a decent 12 mile ride. One of those "character builders" :)

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Team Wells had a first today -- a short, but fun ride with some of our club riding a rail-trail. Perhaps it was an ongoing optical illusion, but it seemed that we were going downhill in both directions! Only 11 miles at what this roadie considered a snail's pace (average just under 10 mph) but then again, given the conditions I really would not have wanted to ride much faster because there was lots of gravel atop hard pack dirt along with the occasional walker, jogger, et cetera. The up side was that it was a fun alternate to the usual road ride where we hammer like crazy. The ride did get the muscles moving and that is a good thing.

In order to do this ride I had to resurrect our first tandem (The Enterprise) from "space-dock" and outfit her with wider tires as well as bringing the drive train back into shape and fixing a nagging brake problem. The so our first tandem will see more duty as this season progresses and we have an alternative form of tandeming for all our members, particularly those who are road-shy but not into actual mountain biking. (We don't do mountain biking at all so this is as far off-road as we will ever get.)

Gordonm

Great weather here. 23 yesterday, 32 today and a planned 32 for tomorrow but will probably do closer to 40. I think I made a decision on the new bike. I have a Specialized Expert with the full Integra setup on it. I have riden about 20 different bikes and this one seems to suit me the best. I have it for tomorrows ride and will probably pull the trigger on it. It is a 2011 so a leftover so I can get a pretty good deal on it. We shall see.

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

You are proving the theory that says: "You can never have too many bicycles."

Today (Monday the 19th) was fantastic! The temperatures here hit 77! We did the longer 25 mile loop despite a good SSW wind, or perhaps because that become a tail wind on the first long climb. Regarless, it was too beautiful to not take a longer ride. Of course the wind did slow us down on the return, as did the school busses (we have to work on our weekday timing). It felt good to actually sweat, and smell of sunscrean on all that exposed skin. Forecast for tomorrow is good as is the rest of the week.

FWIW: Here in NJ Spring begins at 00:14 EDT Tuesday morning. That will make it official.

raffi

It's bit hit and miss around here the last week or so. I should have ridden Saturday, but the time got away from me. Instead, Sunday was looking promising but by the time I was able to look at riding, the wind and cold were such that I decided a shorter ride a little later was in order. I finally went for a short ride in the evening only to be hit with blinding snow within half a mile. I thought I'd turn around and the first road and just head back, but when I got there, I had gotten past the edge of the storm, so I kept going. The roads were pretty firm and the light snow for 1/2 the ride was not sticking, so all in all it was good.

Part of why I kept putting of the ride was because I was exhausted and had a splitting headache. This was still true when I finally went for the ride. When I got back, the headache was gone and I was back to my normal energetic self. Should have ridden much sooner.

Gordonm

Ok So I bought the Specialized today. The price was where I wanted to be and it fit me and rode just like I wanted it to. I have put on about 130 miles the last 4 days on it and the riding has been great. So I bought it. I'll post a picture of it later. Always fun to get a new toy. Also bought a Garmin 800 so I can keep track of everything and not ever get lost. New Look Blade Carbon pedals and have some new shoes coming also. I just figured my stuff was about 6 years old and getting well worn and needed some upgrades.

I rode Sunday with it and started out with a B group and rode with them for about 5 miles. They were to slow and I kept waiting for a few of the B+ riders to break away. So I did and nobody followed. So I took off in search of the A riders. Found them about 5 miles later at the rest stop. Joined them for the remainder of the ride, about 20 miles. These guys were serious riders and we averaged about 22 mph. I'm not used to that pace but kept right with them. I was pretty spent after the ride but it is kind of nice riding with better riders. You really push yourself hard. Can't say I would do it everyday but once a week would be a good ride.

ORjt

Yes, Gordonm, pics, please.

Yesterday morning we had snow. By 5pm when I got home, it was all the way up to 42F, with light drizzle/heavy mist. Got out to ride anyway, and 4 miles in, kicked out a rock, cutting the rear tire sidewall. Tire was near the end of its service life (the stock Bontrager R3 Plus that came on the bike). Just walked home (I was only about a mile away - I ride an "out and back 'loop' " for my weekday rides). Already have a spare waiting, I'll mount it up tonight -- we'll likely have steady rain for the next couple of days.

And so ends winter ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Gordonm

OK you asked for some pictures here they are

New Look Keo Carbon pedals

100_3003.jpg

Garmin 800. I am going to get a different mount that moves it out and centered.

100_3001.jpg

100_3002.jpg

Ignore the bottle cage. I have 2 Carbon ones on order. This is just an old cage so I can ride it.

100_3000.jpg

This by no way means I am an expert

100_3004.jpg

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

Sweet Ride! Do I detect Dura-Ace components? Enjoy it fully. I have an old Roubaix and still love the ride. It didn't come with high-end components but I have upgraded most of the lower end stuff as it wore out or I became frustrated with them.

Today was another beautiful day with a moderate SSE wind that gave us some nice tailwinds where we usually get head winds (and vice-versa).

ORjt

Gordon - Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I've a riding buddy with a Roubaix, he likes it quite well. I looked seriously at Specialized, but found the Madone fit me a little better. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with that one ...

Stay safe out there ...

--JT

dfchatten

Nice ride ! Just got my Garmin 800 today :)

1200 miles already ? WOW. I just went past 150 yesterday - LOL Although, this might be one of the earilest cycling that I have done here in Central, MA. It is like May weather.

rwallen

Gordon,

Nice ride!!

I'm jealous of you all who have Garmins. Something I probably won't buy for quite a while. Still not having one doesn't make the riding any less sweeter. Unfortunately, I am stuck using a station bike at the Mariott for the next few days. :( Stay safe and enjoy your rides outside.

Rick

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Yes, the Garmin units are nice. Team Wells has an "old" 705 that works just fine. The best part is that Linda has learned how to use it in cue-sheet mode and using MapSource I can plan out bicycle and car trips and Linda does all the navigation -- even in the car. They are not uni-taskers. Are they essential tools or expensive toys? I guess that all depends on how you classify things - for us it is an essential toy. Then again, so is the tandem and the single bike (no, Linda does not ride a single as she has a unique way of stopping on a single that she learned from "Laugh In").

Today was another great day for riding. Mid ride temperatures was 74-degrees-F with a very light SSW breeze. Our early season fitness is getting better.

Our club has a ride planned on Saturday that may get rained out.

ORjt

Weather, weather, weather. We've had an historic late snowfall here (Portland, OR area). We're at about 200' elevation, got somewhere well over an inch of snow last night. Very wet and slushy. Very jealous of 74F . It's mostly melting now, with a promise of mid 50's tomorrow and Saturday - should be able to ride both days. Our TdC group has a 17 mile ride for Saturday, with many of us planning additional miles. It's been a wild late winter ...

As to the Garmins - I've been fully inducted into the cult. Mrs Claus got me an Edge500 this last Christmas. Not quite a full blown GPS (as the 7xx/8xx series); I've found the ride feedback, and especially the workout tracking, to be very useful. Just getting more into the navigation capabilities - we've got many of our TdC rides mapped out on RideWithGPS. Essential? No. Useful? Very.

Oh, and I've replaced the rear tire I blew earlier in the week.

Stay safe out there!

raffi

Yesterday, it snowed all day. There was already 5" on the ground when I left for work and by the end of the day it warmed up and turned into a couple of inches of slush. Ugh. Needless to say, I did my time on the exercise bike.

Today started out with a bit of rain and by later morning, the sun was coming out. After not sleeping too well last night, I was not up for a ride when I got home and figured I missed a good day despite yesterday's snow. Turns out, we were low on milk, so we needed to go to a local farm and pick some up. Being after dinner, I was feeling a bit more energetic and that sounded like a fun ride. I took the old bike since I thought the roads would be in bad shape. That bike really needs a tuneup, it took me a while to get the gears to shift properly and overall it seemed like it had a lot of resistance. However, the ride was fun and the roads were pretty clear (until the farm itself).

On the way home, we drove by where I would have ridden right after work. It was a good thing I did not try it. Lots of snow and ice. There were at least a couple of spots I don't think I could have navigated without mishap. Those shady places can sneak up on you when the rest of the road looks good, dry and firm.

blufloyd

blu be gtting a new Catrike very soon order going in at noonish.... I'll be a maniac on wheels. Almost as much fun as a big wheel.....

Ronin

Blu, et al.,

While I/we aren't into recumbents I have to say that the Catrike looks fast. Have fun with that.

Today was another good day with temperatures in the mid to low 70's with an ENE wind that gave us a nice tail-wind on the way home. Of course we had to pedal against it on the outbound section of the ride. Our Tandem Cub has our annual Spring-Equinox party and ride tomorrow and the ride looks iffy as a weather system is moving in and may rain on our fun. We were particularly interested because it is local so we can ride from home and not have to use the car (which means putting on the rack, and all that stuff).

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

Gordonm

Was out yesterday for 30 and today I got in an 18 mile sprint before the rain came in. The rest of the weekend looks crappy but after 14 days straight riding I think I may take a day off tomorrow. As most of you have seen I got a new bike which has been great. I was not real pleased with the tires as they are just the stock ones that came with the bike. Well I have been riding Conti 4000s for about a year on my old bike and really liked them. So I bought a set for the new bike. Huge difference. Ride is smoother, faster and all around better. The tires definitly do make a difference and most stock tires are pretty low budget. They just get you rolling out the door.

Getting used to the saddle but I think I may want to try a few more for a little better ride. I don't want to "get used to it" I'd rather have it feel right from the get go.

Happy riding

ORjt

Blu - what model Catrike? - Just had a look at their website, and like Ronin, not really into recumbents, but those look *really* interesting. As he said, have fun.

Everyone else -- had a stunningly gorgeous day today (Saturday) - the weather over-achieved a bit, we hit 64, mostly clear and sunny. Rode about 35 miles with my TdC group. The formal ride was ~18, I rode in and back, and did another loop with a smaller group. Now it's back to rain the next week (it is spring break, after all!).

About tires - replaced the stock Bonty R3 (that I blew out earlier in the week, via a rock strike) with a Michelin Krylion. A noticeable difference in the ride, for the better. I find that a bit surprising as in theory the R3 is more 'performance' biased than the Michelin - but new tire definitely feels faster. If it wears well (and it should), with minimal flatting, this may be my new go-to tire (well - the new model is now the Pro4 Endurance ...). Not a great deal of experience with many different tires - I've gone through a couple of Conti GatorSkins on the older bike. Those wore well, and no flats, but I felt like I wanted a more 'performance' oriented tire on the new bike.

Stay safe out there!

blufloyd

Trail with 26 inch rear wheel with disc brake conversion. Candy green. head rest and full fenders. I see my buddy, the genius and me making bimini style tops too..... be in hand 1st of April.

Utah Trike was dealer. Trail will give me more ground clearance. I figure if a casket is 3 grand or more I'd rather have a bike.

I think of it as a Hobie style wheelchair since I kayak fish

Why do old guys (I assume you are over 30) cling to old tech wedgies? My old hands and DDD back can't stand them any more.

I may see about a refurb Garmin. I only own about 4 of their products now....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.