Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lark 27

4 year old with High ketones, but normal blood sugars. Perplexed.

lark 27

Hello everyone,

I have a friend with a four year old daughter who just got test reults form her doctor saying she has high ketones but blood glucose levels are normal. The Dr. is referring her to an endocrinologist and has said that he thinks she might be diabetic. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. I understand that ketones can be present due to low-carbing and lots of exercise, but I don't believe this 4 year old would fit into those categories.

I'll try to get more info, but I'm hoping someone might have advice or at least thoughts on questions to ask the endocrinologist. I myself am a type-1 diabetic who has benefitted greatly from this site so my first thought was to come here and post to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for any input.

foxl

Ketones would simply indicate she is burning fat. Had she fasted, before the blood was taken?

My little girl used to get horrible ketone breath, when she was sick and would not eat. Once we got food into her again, it went away.

foxl
From what I've been told. She's been eating normal. She eats a diet limited in flour but she doesn't limit carbs. NO fasting.

Still, if her blood sugar is normal ... ???

lark 27

I think it's a case of something is going on, the dr. doesn't know what it is, so since there are high ketones he's labeling it as diabetes related. I'll update this thread if I ever get any more info. Otherwise, thanks for your input LInda.

jwags

I think if bgs are in a normal range throughout the day, she is not diabetic. The presence of Ketones doesn't mean diabetes. The doctor should know this. If the child is limiting flour due to other isssues she may be burning fat. I know when I first eliminated flour products I lost a lot of weight and went into ketosis.

dturney

If you have a 4year old with high K's you need to find out why! High K's are serious it leads to coma and death. I would think your Doctor is right in stating it is probably metabolic in nature. Your friend need to get this chile to the Endo ASAP.

foxl
If you have a 4year old with high K's you need to find out why! High K's are serious it leads to coma and death. I would think your Doctor is right in stating it is probably metabolic in nature. Your friend need to get this chile to the Endo ASAP.

High ketones only lead to diabetic coma when accompanied by high blood glucose.

dturney
High ketones only lead to diabetic coma when accompanied by high blood glucose.

Well!!! I am not a Doctor are you??? Would seem to me if you are running high K's there is certainly something amiss.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.