Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickP

Excellent Article on the Pitfalls of Lowering Cholesterol through Statins

NickP

Check out this great Blogpost by Dr. Mark Hyman (those of you that have not heard of him, he is one of Dr Oz's personal physicians that he refers his friends and family to, and is a frequent guest on Dr Oz's show, so he is not some "fringe outside with a MD degree").

He wrote the following:

■If you lower bad cholesterol (LDL) but have a low HDL (good cholesterol) there is no benefit to statins. (i)

■If you lower bad cholesterol (LDL) but don’t reduce inflammation (marked by a test called C-reactive protein), there is no benefit to statins. (ii)

If you are a healthy woman with high cholesterol, there is no proof that taking statins reduces your risk of heart attack or death. (iii)■If you are a man or a woman over 69 years old with high cholesterol, there is no proof that taking statins reduces your risk of heart attack or death. (iv)

■Aggressive cholesterol treatment with two medications (Zocor and Zetia) lowered cholesterol much more than one drug alone, but led to more plaque build up in the arties and no fewer heart attacks. (v)

■75% of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol

Older patients with lower cholesterol have higher risks of death than those with higher cholesterol. (vi)

Countries with higher average cholesterol than Americans such as the Swiss or Spanish have less heart disease.

■Recent evidence shows that it is likely statins’ ability to lower inflammation it what accounts for the benefits of statins, not their ability to lower cholesterol.

....And that data also shows that treatment only really works if you have heart disease already. In those who DON’T have documented heart disease, there is no benefit.

...So if lowering cholesterol is not the great panacea that we thought, how do we treat heart disease, and how do we get the right kind of cholesterol – high HDL, low LDL and low triglycerides and have cholesterol particles that are large, light and fluffy rather than small, dense and hard, which is the type that actually causes heart disease and plaque build up.

We know what causes the damaging small cholesterol particles. And it isn’t fat in the diet. It is sugar. Sugar in any form or refined carbohydrates (white food) drives the good cholesterol down, cause triglycerides to go up, creates small damaging cholesterol particles, and causes metabolic syndrome or pre-diabetes. That is the true cause of most heart attacks, NOT LDL cholesterol

Wow....a "Dr Oz" expert is saying that Heart Disease is being caused by Sugar and Carbs and NOT BY FAT!!!! Great Post!!! Please read it and pass it along!

Read the complete article here:

Why Cholesterol May Not Be the Cause Of Heart Disease

jwags

This is very similar to Dr Eades post on his Protein Power site.. He claims there is absolutely no benefit for women of any age. When you think of all the side effects of statins and you think how many doctors make all their diabetic patients go on them, you really wonder.

MsTCB

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing this!! That is amazing that this came from a Dr. Oz expert because it seems that everyone other day he has someone on his show preaching about all the benefits of eating a low-fat diet. It's all I can do sometimes to keep from yelling at the TV set. :)

Hopefully Dr. Oz himself will start spreading the TRUTH about benefits of the LC/HF WOL. :)

MsTCB
This is very similar to Dr Eades post on his Protein Power site.. He claims there is absolutely no benefit for women of any age. When you think of all the side effects of statins and you think how many doctors make all their diabetic patients go on them, you really wonder.

So true. It makes me cringe to think about that as well.

Vilya

I'm going to print this out and take it to my doctor in March. She is wonderful, but she's pushing statins on me and I've told her that I will absolutely not take them. If I can give her some backup, that will help. :)

Ela
I'm going to print this out and take it to my doctor in March. She is wonderful, but she's pushing statins on me and I've told her that I will absolutely not take them. If I can give her some backup, that will help. :)

Good move! :) Please don't forget to share how it goes!

kingd

I have the same problem except my doc has put me on 3 different cholesterol meds, 3-5 days after taking each one the side effects start(extreme back pain,bloody stools, energy loss).

Problem is he thinks it has nothing to do with his meds(symptoms go away after I stop taking them)....Now he has me going in for a colonoscopy :eek:

I personally like the guy but he seems more concerned about these meds than the Diabetes,and my cholesterol numbers are not that high.

PinkRose

If all of these claims are true, ie can be supported by irrefutable scientific evidence, then why isn't the medical profession, by and large, not supporting this? Why the endless debates about cholesterol readings & what should be done (or not done) about them?

MsTCB
If all of these claims are true, ie can be supported by irrefutable scientific evidence, then why isn't the medical profession, by and large, not supporting this? Why the endless debates about cholesterol readings & what should be done (or not done) about them?

It probably has something to do with $$

MsTCB
I have the same problem except my doc has put me on 3 different cholesterol meds, 3-5 days after taking each one the side effects start(extreme back pain,bloody stools, energy loss).

Problem is he thinks it has nothing to do with his meds(symptoms go away after I stop taking them)....Now he has me going in for a colonoscopy :eek:

I personally like the guy but he seems more concerned about these meds than the Diabetes,and my cholesterol numbers are not that high.

If you cholesterol isn't all that bad, perhaps you should consider going off the meds and see what happens when you lower BGs to normal range.

TELL your doctor that you want to focus on getting your BGs normal, then you will see about the Cholesterol.

Are you by any chance taking Synthroid? That can artificially increase your lipids.

r-marie

I have been aware of the cholesterol controversy for a long time and especially where it concerns older women. I have never considered statins because of it.

Here are my latest test results from Nov 2011:

TC 247 HDL 88 LDL 151 Ratio 2.8 Tri 37 compare this to the lowest ever while on a vegan diet 3 years ago:

TC 156 HDL 37 LDL 98 Ratio 4.2 Tri 106

I have had these high numbers for the last 10+ years and because of the high HDL and low triglycerides didn't worry and my doc said it was mostly connected with my clinical hypothyroid for which I finally took synthroid - but not much has changed.

I have always had normal to low BP (like 90/60 give or take 10-15 points on the systolic)

I am now 69 and weigh 90lbs at 4ft11.

janice21475

Hi Nick,

Thanks for posting such a great thread!!! Very good stuff here.

How are you doing? Miss seeing your posts in the morning BG thread. :)

Janice

r-marie

If we’re going to commend Dr. Hyman for his stance on cholesterol we cannot also ignore the fact that this good doctor recommends the following diet for controlling and reversing diabetes:

8 Steps to Reversing Diabesity

Under ‘8 Steps for Reversing Diabesity’ paragraph 2 says this:

“Get smart about nutrition. Despite the media hype and the seeming confusion amongst doctors, the basics of nutrition are extremely simply. Eliminate sugar and processed carbohydrates, include whole real foods like lean protein (chicken or fish), veggies, nuts, seeds, beans and whole grains.”

I seem to remember he’s against saturated fat too……

It's just so hard to get these doctors all on one page 'sigh' but we ARE all different - never forget that.

NickP
If we’re going to commend Dr. Hyman for his stance on cholesterol we cannot also ignore the fact that this good doctor recommends the following diet for controlling and reversing diabetes:

8 Steps to Reversing Diabesity

Under ‘8 Steps for Reversing Diabesity’ paragraph 2 says this:

“Get smart about nutrition. Despite the media hype and the seeming confusion amongst doctors, the basics of nutrition are extremely simply. Eliminate sugar and processed carbohydrates, include whole real foods like lean protein (chicken or fish), veggies, nuts, seeds, beans and whole grains.”

I seem to remember he’s against saturated fat too……

It's just so hard to get these doctors all on one page 'sigh' but we ARE all different - never forget that.

Hey r-marie,

Thanks for the post. I was not recommending "the good doctor" as a great source of information on Diabetes, but merely showing that one of "mainstream" doctors is beginning to understand the cholesterol myth and statins.

While Dr Hyman is still phobic about saturated fat, on last week's Dr Oz's show, he actually was advocating for people to eat more of the "healthy fats" and told folks that fat had gotten a bad rap. So overall, this is certainly a step in the right direction.

It will take a long time before the medical comunity finally starts agreeing that Saturated Fats are actually healthy for you. I am not holding my breath that this will change anytime soon.

BTW....overall his article on the 8 steps was not bad (if you exclude the lean protein, beans and grains comments). Here is another quote from that article:

When your diet is full of empty calories and an abundance of quickly absorbed sugars, liquid calories, and carbohydrates (like bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes), your cells slowly become resistant to the effects of insulin and need more and more to do the same job of keeping your blood sugar even. Thus you develop insulin resistance. A high insulin level is the first sign of a problem. The higher your insulin levels are, the worse your insulin resistance. Your body starts to age and deteriorate

I am not a Dr Hyman fan, but he has a book coming out next month called "The Blood Sugar Solution" - I will be curious to see what it has to say....

Again, for a Dr Oz physician, I was really surprised to see him to challenge some of the established medical/dietary principles.

For many of us, we would like to wake up tomorrow and see the USDA and ADA post that "they were wrong" for past 25 years and want to correct it to a healthy LCHF diet. That will NEVER HAPPEN.

Change is coming, but it comes in very small doses....the story above is a small dose of the changes that are starting to happen. This is good news!!!!

NickP
Hi Nick,

Thanks for posting such a great thread!!! Very good stuff here.

How are you doing? Miss seeing your posts in the morning BG thread. :)

Janice

Hey Janice, I am doing great! Thanks for asking!

I have found that the more time I spend posting, the more frustrated I become, so, I have stepped away from posting often. I try to check in every week or so, and see what is new and if I found something interesting on line, I try to post.

My BG levels are great, and am still a following my WOE strongly. Thanks again for all the support!

NickP
I have been aware of the cholesterol controversy for a long time and especially where it concerns older women. I have never considered statins because of it.

Here are my latest test results from Nov 2011:

TC 247 HDL 88 LDL 151 Ratio 2.8 Tri 37 compare this to the lowest ever while on a vegan diet 3 years ago:

TC 156 HDL 37 LDL 98 Ratio 4.2 Tri 106

I have had these high numbers for the last 10+ years and because of the high HDL and low triglycerides didn't worry and my doc said it was mostly connected with my clinical hypothyroid for which I finally took synthroid - but not much has changed.

I have always had normal to low BP (like 90/60 give or take 10-15 points on the systolic)

I am now 69 and weigh 90lbs at 4ft11.

Hey r-marie,

Your current cholesterol numbers looks GREAT!!!!

BTW...Check out this other post by Dr Hyman on Women and Statins! Any female on this Forum SHOULD READ THIS POST: (and let me know your thoughts....):

Why Women Should Stop Their Cholesterol Lowering Medication

In plain English, she said that we shouldn’t be using statin drugs for women without heart disease because:

1.The evidence shows they don’t work to prevent heart attacks if you never had one.

2.They significantly increase the risk of diabetes.

Treating risk factors like high cholesterol is misguided. We must treat causes – what we eat, how much we exercise, how we handle stress, our social connections and environmental toxins are all more powerfully linked to creating health and preventing disease than any drug on the market.

Remember what you put at the end of your fork is more powerful than anything you will ever find at the bottom of a pill bottle.

I said in a post above that I was not a "Dr Hyman Fan" - but I absolutely love what he wrote in this post, and I really, really like that last quote. It simply does not get any better than that statement!

Remember what you put at the end of your fork is more powerful than anything you will ever find at the bottom of a pill bottle

r-marie
Hey r-marie,

Your current cholesterol numbers looks GREAT!!!!

BTW...Check out this other post by Dr Hyman on Women and Statins! Any female on this Forum SHOULD READ THIS POST: (and let me know your thoughts....):

Why Women Should Stop Their Cholesterol Lowering Medication

I said in a post above that I was not a "Dr Hyman Fan" - but I absolutely love what he wrote in this post, and I really, really like that last quote. It simply does not get any better than that statement!

Remember what you put at the end of your fork is more powerful than anything you will ever find at the bottom of a pill bottle

Thanks for the compliment, NickP. I'm familiar with the studies and it is research like the above that has strengthened my resolve over the years to refuse statins. Of course the low trigs and BP helped a lot.

Seagal

I have just returned from my cardiologist appointment. One week ago I had a heart attack. In order to repair the damage to my heart muscle, I am going to follow his advice and that includes taking a beta blocker (in addition to the Ace inhibitor I take), plavix and 10mg. Lipitor.

I have advocated against statins for many years and have all the books with information as to why we shouldn't take them. Guess what? I plan on doing whatever the dr. says for at least the next 6 months. I have seen the inside of my arteries and the portion of my heart that was damaged. There was not enough blockage in my arteries to insert a stent or do an angioplasty, but the catheter angiography showed the portion of damage.

My last labs were: HDL - 105, LDL 95, Trig-50 , at this point there is little basis to do an NMR to determine the subfraction of particles - I had the attack, the clot that was formed was dislodged and "flushed out", it was said that the two 325 mg. aspirin that I chewed while having the attack was the reason for the clot to disappear. If I get through the next six months with no further "episodes", I will then discuss reduction of meds. Until then, it has scared me enough to do what the cardiologist recommends even though I feel I am betraying all that I have believed in up until January 15th, when while digging holes in the garden, felt strange, went to bed and went to the e.r. the next morning.

I feel blessed to have had such great care taken when I went to the e.r. and I am glad to be here:)

BTW, I was told in no uncertain terms not to wait 24 hrs. if I have another episode, but since I had never had a heart attack, I wasn't sure the pressure I felt on my chest wasn't the after effects of bending over and digging 19 holes & planting cuttings!

r-marie

Seagal, I'm so sorry to hear that. We never know what lies ahead, do we? And sometimes no matter how 'right' we think we do everything, bad things can still happen. Good luck and keep us informed.

NickP

Hey Seagal,

Glad you are still with us. We all must decide what is the proper course to take with both our Dr's and medications! I am sure that if I were in your shoes, I would also be following the Dr's directions.

Life is a funny thing. You can everything right and still die young, or do everything wrong and still live a long time.

That was quick thinking on chewing the aspirin! Keep us updated on your progress!

Moonpie

seagal, I am so glad you got to Er on time & also had those aspirin handy. I wish you a complete recovery.

I am also on statins, but I want to come off them, I will discuss it next Dr visit ( already know they will say no) I currently cut my pill in half. But with an extremely strong family history of heart disease, I want to err on the side of caution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.