Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hooterville

Acorn Squash "Pumpkin Pie"

Hooterville

I threw this together last night and it was low carb comfort food heaven!

I made a small batch since it was an experiment and my first time cooking with acorn squash but will definitely double or triple, etc. next time. :)

1 Acorn Squash

1/4 tsp Cinnamon

1/8 tsp Ginger

1/8 tsp Cloves

1/8 tsp Nutmeg

1/3 Cup Splenda

1/3 Cup Chopped Pecans

Butter

Cooking spray

1/2 & 1/2

Preheat oven to 350. Slice squash in half from stem to tip with a large butcher knife and be careful! Scoop out seeds (I roasted them, yummy, tender, and quick to roast). Place 1/4 inch water in bottom of an oven proof dish. Place squash, cut side down, in dish. Pierce skin of sqush with knife a few times. Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool. Remove skin and cut flesh in 1/2 inch cubes. Spray oven proof dish (I used 9x9 pyrex, same one I baked the squash in above) with cooking spray. Place cubed squash in dish.

Combine spices and Splenda in small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle spice/Splenda mixture over the squash that is already in oven proof dish. Don't mix. Sprinkle top with chopped pecans. Dot squash/spice/pecans with butter, about 1 Tbs.

Back in the oven for 45 minutes, serve warm and drizzle with 1/2 & 1/2.....OMG, comfort food heaven!

This was not super sweet, but just right for me. You can add more Splenda if you like, but I think keeping the Splenda down reduces that artificial sweetner taste. Play with it. Change it up, if you like. Skip the 1/2 & 1/2 if you want. I liked the 1/2 & 1/2. It kind of gave it that pie a la mode effect. Delish, if you ask me.

The best part, my BG was 78 this morning after an upsetting 148 the previous morning. And, true confessions, I ate almost 1/3 of it myself split up in two different servings about 1 hour apart last night. Oh, and I was down a pound this morning as well.

Enjoy.

Hooterville

You're right, Linda, it does look like it is. I just know that I tested a lot last night (only exercised in the am and was sitting in front of the TV watching 49'ers game through the evening) and my numbers were great.

Before dinner - 91

2 hr. after bowl of chili and acorn squash dessert - 82

1.5 hour after 2nd helping - 90

FBG this morning - 78

Now, that's just me. Who knows what all weighed in to it but that is the 2nd lowest number I've ever had morning fasting. Usually, lately, I'm thrilled to be under 100 and happy to be under 120 fasting. The previous day I had a very disappointing 148.

I had great results with a spaghetti squash meal (very low carb, I know) that I ate over three different meals. I'm just becoming a winter squash believer after having never in my life prepared it before.

Individual results will vary, I know. :D Just putting it out there for those who are interested in trying.

foxl

I always feel like a wet blanket posting stuff like that, but I am like the acid test for carbs! The canary in the coalmine, etc.

Moonpie

thank you Linda, we need a canary in the coalmine, SO many newbies all the time :)

I love squash too, we have some as a veg with dinner, most nights. They all, so far, seem to agree with me. too.

Hooterville
thank you Linda, we need a canary in the coalmine, SO many newbies all the time :)

I love squash too, we have some as a veg with dinner, most nights. They all, so far, seem to agree with me. too.

Wow. Squashgate. :eek:

Marcia K in Fl

Thank you for the idea. I am going to try it. It does sound like comfort food heaven. I like acorn squash and my mom would bake it like you did and add butter and brown sugar...oh so good. This sounds like a great alternative! There is a brussel sprouts thread people are posting on and I can't stand them but this is more like it. Squashgate or not!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.