Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MsTCB

Incredible 100 pt BG spike from SALAD- Has this happened to you?

MsTCB

I was too cold and lazy to get to the grocery store today, but I was craving a salad. So I ordered one from a local Pizza place and had it delivered.

Before eating the salad at 5:30pm, my BG was 117

Since I was going to be watching a long movie, and because the salad only had around 6 grams of carbs at the most, I decided NOT to inject any Insulin.

So, I just now checked my BG at 9:15pm and it is 210 !!:eek:

Considering that is nearly 4 hours after eating the salad, I can only imagine how high it actually spiked me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

The salad the following stuff:

Lettuce and other leafy greens

Black Olives - about 5 slices up

Tomato (2 thin slices)

Cheddar Cheese

Cucumbers (5 thick slices)

Bacon bits (real)

Grilled Chicken (about 2 ounces) w/ about 1 Tbsp Teriyaki sauce on it

Dressing: Honey Mustard - about 1 Tbsp

Subby

Yes, this can occur, and the theorised reason is that your body responds to the bulk in your stomach of dense, fibrous and bulky foods, by trying to release both insulin and glucagon. If you are either resistant or deficient in insulin - or both - then the glucagon will spike you, and the insulin will not be sufficient to counteract.

Bernstein talks about this: he coins it the chinese restaurant effect. You can read about it in his book, and probably places on the net. Bluesky also ran an interesting experiment testing this theory elsewhere, which you might be able to google.

This is another example where blood sugar management is not just all about the carbs. Bottom line, if you eat anything substantial, you are likely to need a certain amount of insulin, if an insulin dependent.

I don't know that it would have spiked you higher, earlier. If you need bolus insulin, it's likely your blood sugar just went up and up, perhaps quite gradually.

Ela

I don't think I had spikes after a salad, but had it after some "low carb" foods. And yes, as Subby describes - the quantities matter. Whenever I overeat (no matter what it is), my BGs are higher than normal. It keeps me in check of my portions though ;).

What was in that salad? It's possible that the dressing had some "hidden" carbs too.

William V
I don't think I had spikes after a salad, but had it after some "low carb" foods. And yes, as Subby describes - the quantities matter. Whenever I overeat (no matter what it is), my BGs are higher than normal. It keeps me in check of my portions though ;).

What was in that salad? It's possible that the dressing had some "hidden" carbs too.

If the salad was premade then many restaurants spray sugar water on so they last day without browning.

MsTCB
Yes, this can occur, and the theorised reason is that your body responds to the bulk in your stomach of dense, fibrous and bulky foods, by trying to release both insulin and glucagon. If you are either resistant or deficient in insulin - or both - then the glucagon will spike you, and the insulin will not be sufficient to counteract.

Bernstein talks about this: he coins it the chinese restaurant effect. You can read about it in his book, and probably places on the net. Bluesky also ran an interesting experiment testing this theory elsewhere, which you might be able to google.

This is another example where blood sugar management is not just all about the carbs. Bottom line, if you eat anything substantial, you are likely to need a certain amount of insulin, if an insulin dependent.

I don't know that it would have spiked you higher, earlier. If you need bolus insulin, it's likely your blood sugar just went up and up, perhaps quite gradually.

Thanks for the explanation, Subby. I'm actually relieved to hear that this isn't something all that unusual.

I am both - Insulin dependent and resistant.

I suppose the reason I didn't bolus this time was because I noticed that I do not have to bolus if I am eating pure protein for a meal.

I typically eat 0 - 20 grams of carbs per meal, so when I counted these carbs and saw they were so low, I figured that I wouldn't have to bolus at all.

I thought I might go up 20 or 30 points, but not 100 points just because I ate 6 grams of carbs.

I did not realize that the body would dump glucagon for a salad.

Wow - fascinating.

Thanks!! :)

MsTCB
If the salad was premade then many restaurants spray sugar water on so they last day without browning.

OMG! Come to think of it, it did taste sweet.

MsTCB

I listed out the ingredients above.

It was a normal portion, so I didn't over-eat.

I usually feel full extremely fast so I've never had an issue with over-eating.

I used my own honey mustard dressing, so there weren't any "hidden" carbs I didn't count. But, that was a good thought.

poodlebone

Grilled Chicken (about 2 ounces) w/ about 1 Tbsp Teriyaki sauce on it

Dressing: Honey Mustard - about 1 Tbsp

Between teriyaki sauce and honey mustard, I bet you had quite a bit more than 6g of carbs. Some brands of both of those items can have a lot of carbs in them, especially the honey mustard dressing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.