Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickP

Fear dementia? Your diet, weight more important than genes, experts say

NickP

This was an article in my Orlando Sentinel today. While a couple of the pieces of advice are wrong (especially about statins), for the most part, the article is pretty good. Most of the folks in the Low Carb Community refer to Alzheimer's as Type III Diabetes. I expect we will continue to see more, and more, and more information about the foods that can trigger Diabetes, are the same foods that can lead to Heart Attacks and Alzheimer's. The science is beginning to slowly put all this together.

Give the Article a read here:

brain health: for brain health lifestyle matters more than genes - Orlando Sentinel

Goodman, like other neuroscientists, recommends eating fewer carbohydrates, which keeps insulin levels down.

He cited a study out of the University of Cincinnati that found that carbohydrate restriction helped participants who had mild cognitive impairment regain mental function. Researchers divided the 23 participants into two groups. One group went on a typical diet consisting of 50 percent of calories from carbohydrates for six weeks. The other group went on a low-carbohydrate diet, where fewer than 10 percent of calories came from carbohydrates.

Afterward, cognitive function stayed about the same in the first group, while in the low-carb group, function improved, according to the 2010 study, published in the Neurobiology of Aging.

Brain experts also recommend a diet high in protein and rich in colorful fruits and vegetables. The latter are strong in polyphenols and anti-oxidants, which have proven to boost brain health.

Moonpie

fascinating. My Dad had non alzheimers dementia, & he did eat a sweet treat every day ( mom was a great baker) His sister also had the same disease, btu she never ate anything, carby, in fact, I think she was borderline anorexic.

jwags

Both my parents are in the early 90's. They thought my mom had dementia last year. The doctor said what do you expect she is 91. My sister found out that the dementia was caused by all the meds they had her on. Both of my parents live in Assisted Living and the meals they serve them are extremely high carb. I also think the side effects from statins like memory loss, joint pain and balance problems also contribute to thinking some older peoples dementia.

NickP
Both my parents are in the early 90's. They thought my mom had dementia last year. The doctor said what do you expect she is 91. My sister found out that the dementia was caused by all the meds they had her on. Both of my parents live in Assisted Living and the meals they serve them are extremely high carb. I also think the side effects from statins like memory loss, joint pain and balance problems also contribute to thinking some older peoples dementia.

jwags, I agree 100% - in the future, I would bet you any amount of money that Statins get linked to significant increased risk of Alzheimer's and Dimentia.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.