Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikesmom

unintended consequence of Low Carb Diet

nikesmom

I have been on a low carb diet now since just before Christmas. Two interesting "side effects" that I have noticed, #1, I haven't needed a single dosage of OTC pain meds for my arthritis. Previously I needed something usually at night in order to dull the pain enough to sleep. Now, no more pain. #2, I am sleeping - maybe because I don't have continual pain, maybe something else but I haven't sleep as well in YEARS! So, even if I never get my BG repaired for those two side effects I'll give up donuts forever :)

NickP

Isn't it AMAZING how our body's respond when we actually feed it the foods that it needs!!! (and eliminate the foods (i.e. carbs) that cause cause inflammation)

Congrats on the discovery and the first steps of your journey!

Have you embraced the fat yet? Most "new" Low Carbers are still leary of eating fat. My diet is LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat)

Gladtobehere
I have been on a low carb diet now since just before Christmas. Two interesting "side effects" that I have noticed, #1, I haven't needed a single dosage of OTC pain meds for my arthritis. Previously I needed something usually at night in order to dull the pain enough to sleep. Now, no more pain. #2, I am sleeping - maybe because I don't have continual pain, maybe something else but I haven't sleep as well in YEARS! So, even if I never get my BG repaired for those two side effects I'll give up donuts forever :)

Contratulations.

Have you considered Celiacs? It may be the gluten (in the carbs) you are eliminating which has caused those two very positive improvements.

jwags

I am not celiac but I do Low Carb/Gluten Free diet. In a lot of my readings I have found that eliminating wheat from your diet eliminates a lot of the inflammation that causes pain. Modern Wheat contains things that create inflammation. I think more people would benefit from a GF diet. Since I have found Almond Flour, Coconut Flour and Flaxseed I can still make almost everything I made with wheat. The other thing I like about LC is that my belly is almost totally flat, now and I can feel my hip bones once again.

Jillzd

I noticed this, too. Isn't it great? I don't have arthritis, but by the end of the day, my joints used to ache so I took pain killers - every day. When I eat low carb, I don't ache all over. Great side effect.

Hooterville

I'm going to have hope that I gain this side effect of low carb. It's another reason and incentive for me to continue to work to lower carbs. I swear, I must have reduced my intake by a gazillion percent when I think about how I used to eat carbs with abandon.

shyam

I wish we could post this on to some site where surveys & studies are posted.

Moonpie

I used to get really bad arthritis also. It dissipated after I went low carb. Over Christmas & New Years, I indulged in some whole wheat crackers, I ate some every day. After a week, my spine started acting up again, & was very painful. Now I stopped the wheat, ti has gone again. Another good incentive to stay off the wheat. I am convinced it is a trigger factor, for me .

winterwhite

Nickesmom:

Relief from pain in my spine and overall skeletal areas was the first thing I noticed when I cut out refined sugars from my diet after being diagnosed Type 2. I did not completely cut out fruits because these have not caused spikes. I gather from my experience that fructose in fruit does not have the same painful effects on bone as refined sugars have. [/b]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.