Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bestjetsfan

Are people really sure about no sugar in Jicama?

Bestjetsfan

I made jicama/zucchini pancakes and posted the recipe here. The only ingredients are onion, jicama, zucchini, egg, salt and pepper. I made extras and keep then in a container in the refrigerator. I eat one of them if I need a snack. They taste very sweet. I have been making potato pancakes for years and replacing potato with Jicama results in a dramatic increase in apparent sweetness. As a wine collector I know all about sugar taste threshhold (3 gms/litre) and apparent sweetness versus actual sugar in the wine. However, the jicama doesn't seem right becauise it is so sweet. If Jicama is OK, and very low carbs, then I can use it as a substitute in a zillion recipes, but I'm wary. Any thoughts?

MCS

What does your meter tell you?

I have used Jicama mostly in beef stews. I think you could cook that stuff for hours and it not get soft.

jenb

Jicama is a frequent component of my salads and doesn't seem to have much impact on my blood sugar. Haven't tried the pancake recipe yet but...yum! According to Calorie King, 2 ounces (56 grams) of Jicama includes 4.9 total grams of carb and 2.7 grams of fiber (2.2 net carbs). The same serving of baked potato is 11.8 total grams of carb and 1.2 grams of fiber (10.6 net carbs - that's on unit of insulin for me!).

Jen

blufloyd

Very high in inulin. If you got bugs in you that break it down to sugar guessing your sugar goes up. It is a terrific feed crop for all those bugs that yogurt/kefir peeps harp on though. It tastes sweet but they form is not readily usable as blood sugar like stevia and splenda sorta kinda.

All that chemistry backgroung rears its ugly head.... Eat up....

Ela

I'd say - go by your meter. As we know we all different and all carbs are NOT created equal. :)

For example I read here that diabetics should avoid carrots and peas. Really? I have no problem with those. I don't eat tons of them of course, but say half a can of peas with some meat usually doesn't raise my BG more than 10-15 points if that. I also use yam instead of potatoes and boy, doesn't it taste sweet! So what? My meter likes it so much more and that's what counts!

Bestjetsfan
What does your meter tell you?

I have used Jicama mostly in beef stews. I think you could cook that stuff for hours and it not get soft.

I will ignore the off color bad jokes. I shredded the Jicama and it got soft very quickly. I also chopped it into small cubes and sauteed it with some other veggies and it was not a problem. I think you need to cut it up to make it soft - kinda like Lorena Bobbit. Sorry, I couldn't resist at least one.

MCS

I usually cube it up and boil it really hard for 20~30 min then add it to my stew. Still comes out like water chestnuts, not a bad thing, I like water chestnuts.

Caravaggio

Check this blog entry from Mark's Daily Apple.

Low Carb Jicama | Mark's Daily Apple

Although most sweet things are likely high in sugar, not all are sugar. Our taste buds detect the presence of certain chemicals that they perceive as sweet (such as sugar), so there is something in jicama that triggers the sweet taste but that something is not necessarily sugar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.