Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandra94103

Protein Consumption- how much is too much?

Sandra94103

In my efforts to control my blood sugar levels, I've had to reduce my carbs and calorie intake, increase medicine and exercise more. So far so good but in looking at my daily protein intake, I can see I'm consuming far more than the CDC daily recommendation for women my age. I'm eating on average between 110-150 grams of protein a day.

Although I feel satiated and able to consume fewer calories and carbs per day, I'm concerned that too much protein will damage my kidneys.

Does anyone have an idea of how much is too much and is 150 grams a day a dangerous amount to be eating?

A1C

What's your body weight and how physically active are you? Correct me if I am wrong, but the daily recommended intake for protein is approximately 1g of protein/per kg of body weight. That figure may be for men though. I think athletes require more than the average person. It's too early in the morning for me to do extensive research.

CDC-How much protein do I need?

ShottleBop

Dr. Ron Rosedale did an interview with Jimmy Moore on his new podcast series, "Ask the Low-Carb Experts", about Leptin. IIRC, Dr. Rosedale recommends limiting protein to 15% or so of total calories (e.g., on a 2,000-calorie diet, approx. 300 calories (73 grams) of protein). I think he also gave a recommended amount of protein per kg of body weight, however.

jwags

I find I have to limit protein to between 21-28 grams per meal otherwise my bgs go up. So that is about 3-4 oz of meat. If I make a smoothie I usually don't use a whole scoop of protein powder because it is too much. So I probably eat somewhere between 70 and 90 grams per day.

Sandra94103

A1C- normally I'm sedentary but lately I've been trying to exercise every day. I've either been walking or cycling. I commute to work and school. My school commute takes me a good 40 minutes each way, twice a week. As you might imagine, i don't want to share my weight with the world, but I will say that I am aware that there are different recommendations for different weight amounts. The amount I'm eating far exceeds this and I'm wondering if I will damage my kidneys doing this. I guess I should ask my doctor. And maybe have my kidneys checked regularly? They used to check my urine every three months for excessive protein. I had a brief problem with that but had a surgery that seemed to resolve the issue. Maybe I should go back to testing again?

NickP

(IMHO) From what I have read, you will not have Kidney complications with eating a higher amount of protein unless you already have kidney issues (the analogy is that if you have a broken leg, running is not good for you).

Most folks when they start a Low Carb diet, they also try to be low fat. My diet is a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF - with moderate protein). I try to consume about 70% of my calories from natural fats, 20% from protein and the rest from carbs. Fats have a much different effect on your body when you are restricting carbs.

There are some more guidlines out there, but in my opinion, your consumption (150 g/day) is a little high, but not dangerous.

One other consideration with Protein, is that about 40% of the protein you consume is eventually converted to blood glucose (much more slowly than carbs are, but still places a mild load on your system). So, overall, a high protein diet is probably not the best choice.

clebo

I also eat 3 or 4 oz of meat per meal anything higher and my bg jump up. They may not show up right away,usually the next morning.

Sandra94103

I'll have to start watching my protein intake then. Before my med adjustment and calorie reduction, too much protein at night would mean high morning sugars for me too. I noticed that this morning. For the past four days in my numbers have been steady 77-92. This morning it was 108 and I think it was because I ate too much protein but also because I went over my calorie limit.

SB_Krista

I read an article on Livestrong.com that said 1 gm protein per 1 lb lean body mass or more simply, your ideal body weight. Seems like a lot!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.