Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JPcanada

I:C Ratio

JPcanada

Hello everyone!

I am a new member, but I have been reading your discussions for some time now and I find it very helpful. I am 29 years old and have had Type 1 for past 4,5 years. Recently hubby and me decided to have a baby. My A1C was 7.0 in November, and now is down to 6.3! I’ve been so happy; I finally managed to lower it below 6.5. Since I'm planning pregnancy I am attending carbs counting seminar but I have problem with I : C ratio. According to my calculations it varies through the day. For example, if I eat 45g of carbs for breakfast, I need 8 units of Humalog, so that 2h after meal my reading isn’t over 7mmol/l (126 for American members). My I : C ratio is supposed to be 1:15!!! How is that possible? Is it possible that my body works differently in the mornings?? Also, for lunch and supper I don’t need that much insulin. Some times I only need 4units of fast reacting insulin for lunch.

Thanks!

Richard157

Insulin:carb ratios and insulin sensitivities can vary throughout the day. My ratio in the morning is 1:7 (1 unit of insulin for every 7 carbs). In the afternoon it is 1:8 and in the evening it is 1:10. I discovered these ratios by trial and error. It took many days to get them pinned down.

To correct a high I need to know my insulin sensitivities. In the morning and early afternoon 1 unit of insulin will lower my BG 15 points, in the late afternoon and early evening it is 20 points, in the late evening 25 points, and while sleeping 30 points.

NoraWI

It IS very likely that your I:C ratio changes through the day. Mine does. But I'm on an Animas Ping insulin pump and can rely on my pump to keep track of time of day and my changing I:C ratios. The *recommended* beginning point to start figuring the I:C ratio is 1:15. From there I adjusted down to more likely numbers. Then I further adjusted to times of day. And that's not the end either. My I:C ratio changes according to the seasons, temperatures and where the moon and the stars are. In other words, nothing stays the same for long.

Subby
According to my calculations it varies through the day. For example, if I eat 45g of carbs for breakfast, I need 8 units of Humalog, so that 2h after meal my reading isn’t over 7mmol/l (126 for American members). My I : C ratio is supposed to be 1:15!!! How is that possible? Is it possible that my body works differently in the mornings?? Also, for lunch and supper I don’t need that much insulin. Some times I only need 4units of fast reacting insulin for lunch.

Thanks!

Yes, all that is possible. People's resistance to insulin through the day can be very different. I get very resistant from noon to 5pm, then my reaction to insulin more that doubles in sensitivity. then, it kind of builds up again in a smaller wave overnight. It may well be that changing digestive and metabolic response to food and carbs is also part of the changing equation.

It is for similar reasons that people sometimes need wildly differing amounts of basal insulin at different times of the day (and why the "flat is best" idea of Lantus is not necessarily true). One reason why people love their pump - you can graduate your basal delivery from hour to hour (or less) and tailor to you body's basal profile.

Metabolism is hugely complex. They don't particularly understand many of the details well at all. The textbooks and guidelines can make insulin use sound so logical and robotic. For some people it may work something like that in practise. For others, many others I'd say, the simplicity of the understandings and guidelines, do not have a close relationship with the realities of dealing with a constantly moving metabolic system. To realise that you might have differing basal or bolus needs through the 24 hour biological cycle of a day, is one very helpful thing to know.

Ivan's Mum

Hi there, for a quick heads up my son (aged 10) has I:C of

Breakfast: 1:7 (if he doesn't eat, his BG doesn't move so I know this number is correct)

Morning Tea: 1:17

Lunch 1:24

afternoon tea 1:17

Dinner 1:10

His ISF is 1:8.5 this is constant.

His insulin duration is slightly over 3.5 hours but shorter than 4

What I have discovered is that eating in the morning requires a large dose of insulin but once he's up and running for the day, it's way less and if his activity levels have been high in the day, I can half again his insulin at night.

Everyone is so differnt and you know yourself best. It's not one size fits all but if you've got your ISF sorted, your sensitivity factor sorted and done a little basal testing to know it's not background insulin that's doing (or not doing) the work. Then you're right.

Just remember, what type of food you're eating, the GI of it and fat content all play a part. Sometimes a high fat meal can bite you in the butt later on in the evening. When Van has pizza, I hold off bolusing him until I see his BG start to rise, otherwise we have a low before the highs.

Good luck on the baby,

aggie168

Yes, they do vary through out the day and they do also vary for me between winter months and summer months. I have three I:C and three sensitivity setting through a 24 hours cycle. Then I actually have 9 setting of basel through the same 24 hours cycle. Luckily, I am on a pump and it does the "thinking" for me. :)

Steal

It is so normal for it to change. This will also become exacerbated during pregnancy. It is good that you are paying attention to the small changes now, as I found the timing remained similar during pregnancy, it was just the amounts that needed more alteration. Good luck continuing to unlock the mystery.

bdelatte

Yes, just like the others have said it can vary...my ratio is 1:8 all day except between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. (lunchtime) its 1:6 b/c I would spike after lunch no matter how little carbs I would eat.

JPcanada

Oh, you know,it's a full time job keeping my numbers down... I'm trying not to get upset about highs and lows, but usually I do get upset. I want to keep my numbers between 5 and 7 (90 i 126), and stay calm as much as possible. Once I become pregnant I want my numbers to be as good as it gets. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Steal

If you are disciplined now, you will be just fine. I found that once pregnant, while it became harder, there was another reason to work so hard. I did it twice and while it was work, the happy and healthy babies really do make every ounce of effort so worth it. Right now my 5 month old is giggling next to me and my 18 month old is figuring out a puzzle and reading in her closet. Oh wait, now she is singing.

JPcanada

Hi guys,just to let you know,I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in December. I managed to keep my numbers in low 6 during pregnancy and everything was fine. I had a natural birth and I am so happy now,enjoying my son and planning another baby soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.