Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kkirwan

Can't stand plain yogurt. Tzatziki sauce?

Kkirwan

I bought all this plain yogurt and I just can't eat it. I do love tzatziki sauce but I'm low carb so I'm not sure what I can eat with it. Any suggestions?

Moonpie

if you have any low calorie sweetener or syrups, you can add those to the plain yoghurt. If tzatski sauce is low carb, have it over your protein & veg at dinner.

bdelatte

Dunno where u live but do you have a Kroger around? If you do they carry a low carb yogurt called Carbmaster. It has 4 carbs and it comes in several different flavors such as Strawberry, Strawberry banana, cherry, vanilla, strawberry pomegranate.

Kkirwan

I'm not supposed to have artificial sweeteners. That's the problem. I love tzatziki sauce, so I thought that would work. I can have it with veg but I don't know which would be good with it.

Moonpie

Tzatziki Sauce:

16 ounces plain yogurt

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped

Pinch kosher salt

4 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

looks delicious to me. Think I'll get some yoghurt to make this sauce.

liz386

I like Dannon's Diabetic Friendly yogurt. It comes in vanilla and has 3 carbs. I stir Chia seeds into mine and eat it every day as an afternoon snack.

ETA: Shoot, sorry- I saw that you can't have artificial sweeteners. I do think Dannon yogurt has aspartame or something of the sort.

e||ement

Use it in place of mayo or sour cream (or do half and half). I eat only Greek yogurt, and use it in everything. Tuna as well!

jwags

How about Chicken Shawrama Lindas Low carb has a some great recipes using yogurt http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Also try mixing in some almond butter or natural peanut butter into your greek yogurt or a few frozen raspberries or blueberries. I have also mixed plain greek yogurt with some cream cheese and cinnamon. You can also stir some chocolate low carb whey powder into it or whipped heavy cream for a pudding like dessert. Can you use stevia?

Peggy_TX
I'm not supposed to have artificial sweeteners. That's the problem.

How about Stevia? Mix in a couple strawberries and sprinkle on some Truvia and you've got dessert..... Or you could try a small amount of Agave if it doesn't spike your blood sugar too much???

Mussakka

You always use yogurt in a variety of Indian curries. This site has some good basic recipes. Just use yogurt where it calls for sour cream. Speaking of, use the yogurt as sour cream.

If you're wondered what works well with tzatziki, any grilled meat goes wonderfully. Then there are more traditional meats like gyros and souvlaki. I make a fantastic sandwich using a low carb tortilla stuffed with ground beef spiced with cumin, garlic, onion, and turmeric, shredded lettuce and tomato, topped with lots of tzatzkiki. Mmmmm....

Caravaggio

How about using it as base for dressing or sauce for salads or meat, by adding different spices and herbs and/or mixing it with some cream?

A1C
I'm not supposed to have artificial sweeteners. That's the problem. I love tzatziki sauce, so I thought that would work. I can have it with veg but I don't know which would be good with it.
Can you have Walden Farms syrups? It comes in Chocolate, Strawberry, Blueberry, Pancake, and Caramel. It has splenda in it which is supposed to be great for diabetics.

Kkirwan
Can you have Walden Farms syrups? It comes in Chocolate, Strawberry, Blueberry, Pancake, and Caramel. It has splenda in it which is supposed to be great for diabetics.
I don't know. I really don't care much for sweets anymore, though.

ShottleBop

As has already been noted, tzatziki itself is low-carb, and goes well with a variety of foods--especially grilled meats.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.