Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LauraInNM

Please Help! Need to find a Low Carb doc in New Mexico!!!

LauraInNM

I really hope someone can help me. This time last year I didn't know anything about diabetes; now I have a boyfriend of 9mos that is a "brittle" Type 1 diabetic and my daughter was diagnosed as a Type 1, just three weeks ago. Still in shock over my daughter. My biggest concern right now is finding a doctor in New Mexico, preferably Albuquerque, that subscribes to the Low Carb philosophy for diabetics. An endocrinologist would be nice, but as long as the person has an M.D. after their name, I'm good. I went with my boyfriend to his endo appt. last month and couldn't believe that this, supposedly, top doctor said that LC diets were a "ridiculous fad!" He thinks Type 1's can eat basically anything as long as they cover it with insulin! My boyfriend's Hem A1c was 7.9 and his b.g. often goes as low as the 40s and his doc thinks that this is all very acceptable!

When I was at UNM Hosp 3weeks ago with my daughter, the HEAD of the endocrinology dept actually said to us that she can eat anything she wants, no food restrictions and that she should average between 200-300grams of carbs a day. My daughter's H A1c was 12.4. During the 5 days she was in the hospital, she ranged between b.g. 300-510.

I am very dissatisfied with the endos I've seen so far. If anyone knows of a great diabetes doc in New Mexico who understands and advocates a Low Carb lifestyle, please let me know!!!

Thank you.

Vilya

I don't know of a doctor for you, but wanted to say welcome and I hope you are able to find a doc who will work with you. Pretty sad that the head of endo said that your daughter can eat anything she wants. :(

My doctor is great and I love her, but even she is not 100% on board with my diet and I know she thinks I'm a little nuts. :D My advice would be to find a doctor who will at the very least be open to your approach. They don't have to embrace it wholeheartedly, but should at least be open-minded and not act dismissive. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think a lot of us do our own thing against the doctor's advice regarding diet (and sometimes meds).

Subby

Hi. You don't need a low carb doc. What you need is to find a doctor who will teach you and/or self learn about the carb counting method of insulin dosing, then your daughter can eat whatever she wants! A great book for learning about this is Using Insulin by John Walsh. You may have difficulty finding a doctor up to date enough (though this method has been around a long time, many doctors still stick to fixed dose or sliding scale). Pumps use the carb counting method, so if you find a doctor who deals with pumps, they should at least understand the practise to be able to pass it on.

Welcome to the board.

Subby

I'll just add that John Walsh advocates high carb, but you don't need to pay much attention to his dietary advice: all you need are the tools to be flexible with your diet and insulin, and he gives these in spades and more.

A1C
Go to Jimmy Moore's website (Livin La Vida Low Carb), and search low carb doctors. Jimmy keeps a register(by State) of Doctors who believe in following a healthy low carb lifestyle.

I believe that the website is

List Of Low-Carb Doctors

I didn't know there was such a thing as a "low carb doctor" other than the ones who've had books published. There are several on the website in my area. Thanks.

LauraInNM

Thank you. I had looked on Jimmy's site before, but unfortunately the only person listed is an acupuncturist and my daughter's father will only listen to an M.D. Your posts are really informative, by the way.

LauraInNM
I don't know of a doctor for you, but wanted to say welcome and I hope you are able to find a doc who will work with you. Pretty sad that the head of endo said that your daughter can eat anything she wants. :(

My doctor is great and I love her, but even she is not 100% on board with my diet and I know she thinks I'm a little nuts. :D My advice would be to find a doctor who will at the very least be open to your approach. They don't have to embrace it wholeheartedly, but should at least be open-minded and not act dismissive. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think a lot of us do our own thing against the doctor's advice regarding diet (and sometimes meds).

Thank you for the advice and I hope I can find a doctor who's open minded to the LC approach in Albuquerque. I really wish I could find someone who advocated it, though. Congrats on your FANTASTIC new A1C!!!

aiah23
Thank you for the advice and I hope I can find a doctor who's open minded to the LC approach in Albuquerque. I really wish I could find someone who advocated it, though. Congrats on your FANTASTIC new A1C!!!

Speaking as someone who lives in Albuquerque, I haven't found this for type 1s. You have to search to find someone more open-minded for your husband. As for your child, I don't recommend low-carbing it personally. Your child is going to go thru phases where more carbs are needed, and the teen years will be particularly tough. I'd advocate more of a no junk/less junk approach instead. But that's coming from a type 1 who really rebelled in the teen years and had whatever I wanted in terms of food, etc. I find diabetes educators, as opposed to MDs, are more open to carb-counting and I:C ratios, etc rather than the traditional sliding scale. Also, you only see an endo, traditionally, every 3-4 mo. but insurance covers monthly appts with a diabetes educator. I highly recommend Advanced Diabetes for that. No nonsense nurses, both are diabetics.

Fawn

LauraInNM
Speaking as someone who lives in Albuquerque, I haven't found this for type 1s. You have to search to find someone more open-minded for your husband. As for your child, I don't recommend low-carbing it personally. Your child is going to go thru phases where more carbs are needed, and the teen years will be particularly tough. I'd advocate more of a no junk/less junk approach instead. But that's coming from a type 1 who really rebelled in the teen years and had whatever I wanted in terms of food, etc. I find diabetes educators, as opposed to MDs, are more open to carb-counting and I:C ratios, etc rather than the traditional sliding scale. Also, you only see an endo, traditionally, every 3-4 mo. but insurance covers monthly appts with a diabetes educator. I highly recommend Advanced Diabetes for that. No nonsense nurses, both are diabetics.

Fawn

Thank you!!!! Is Advanced Diabetes a place/center here in ABQ? Do they advocate low carb for adults? Thank you SO MUCH!!!

aiah23
Thank you!!!! Is Advanced Diabetes a place/center here in ABQ? Do they advocate low carb for adults? Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Yes, it's on Montgomery just east of Carlisle, on the North side of the road. There's a stop light there with no street name, to turn into a businesses center, and it's straight back from there. You can call them to schedule an appt at 505-881-4648. Julie is my diabetes educator and she saw me through my pregnancy. I've seen one minor patient there but lots of adults. I believe they advocate more of a moderate carb intake, but for your husband at least, they'd be open to lower carbing if results prove it's a better option. Please realize, he has to 'prove' that though. It's always the case. Low carbing is counter to what everyone is taught in school. So even though it gets results, it's still viewed as either trendy or antiquated.

Fawn

LauraInNM

Thank you for all of your help!

Laura

Yes, it's on Montgomery just east of Carlisle, on the North side of the road. There's a stop light there with no street name, to turn into a businesses center, and it's straight back from there. You can call them to schedule an appt at 505-881-4648. Julie is my diabetes educator and she saw me through my pregnancy. I've seen one minor patient there but lots of adults. I believe they advocate more of a moderate carb intake, but for your husband at least, they'd be open to lower carbing if results prove it's a better option. Please realize, he has to 'prove' that though. It's always the case. Low carbing is counter to what everyone is taught in school. So even though it gets results, it's still viewed as either trendy or antiquated.

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.