Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Julias

I can eat oatmeal!!!

Julias

I've tested for a couple of days now and I think if I manage the portion, use nuts, cinnamon and sugar free syrup and a strawberry or two in the oatmeal it works. I only got a 115-120 both days after eating the oatmeal - small portion though - I weighed it - was under 3 oz. I had a piece of cheese with it and a coffee and was good til lunch. I am not going to do it daily but it is an option and I love oatmeal. It's not low carb I guess.. maybe I should post this elsewhere.. but anyway, it could be part of an overall low'er' carb diet right?

xMenace

Low-carb is not no-carb.

Multiple objectives: low BG, normal weight, low Triglycerides. If you achieve them all, go for it.

Oatmeal is much more preferrable to me than any wheat-based cereal.

***In my humble opinion

NickP

I have never been a fan of oatmeal. I did not like it when I was on a LF diet, and I don't miss it today.

Oatmeal is still full of grains, and grains are inflammatory, so I am happy to keep it out of me diet (regardless of how it impacts my BG). YMMV!

blufloyd

Yep amazes me that I see people who try and eat like pigs on here and then can't figure the lack of control.

I posted about oatbran and flaxseed and replies were wolfing down a cup of the stuff cause that was serving nutrient on label.

I love the internet. I still do oatbran it hasn't killed me....

Caravaggio

It's good to know that you can have that option if you feel like having oatmeal. I eat oatmeal once in a while and up to a certain amount, my blood sugar is not unhappy.

jwags

If oatmeal doesn't spike you continue to eat it. There is no one diet that everyone has to follow. I like hot cereal but I mix oat fiber, flaxseed and chia seed with some coconut milk and coconut oil. That is what works for me.

sumi

I sometimes have oatmeal, though not a lot.Its a great change from egg, cheese or meat for breakfast. I kind of think of it as dessert.

Julias
I sometimes have oatmeal, though not a lot.Its a great change from egg, cheese or meat for breakfast. I kind of think of it as dessert.
Try unsweetened oatmeal with cheese melted into it. That is also a great alternative. I won't have it every day either but I do like to alternate breakfasts so I am delighted this is an option. Truly a small portion but it works.

rieom

I love oatmeal and have not tried that in a long time. The problem for me is the serving size. It would not be enough to fill me but perhaps having some protein with it might be a good option. I am glad to know that oatmeal might come back into my breakfast options once in a while.

allilau1

I'm trying out steel cut oatmeal, 3/4 cup, myself in the morning with 1/4 cup of blueberries. I'm a newly diagnosed Type II, and am trying different things for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I love oatmeal, and it also helps to bring my cholesterol down.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.