Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subby

A simple warning for insulin users

Subby
Well it has been the practice of all diabetics especialy T1's

Still not quite with you: we were talking about increasing protein in the evening when on a low carb diet, in this case to try and see if it replenishes my glucagon stocks just a little bit. To me this is pretty specific to this particular situation. I don't think dealing with this issue is usually on the radar for all diabetics. Oh well. :)

Would you expect to be a finer carb counter to insulin Sub?? I have a lot of fun if I were to low carb with my savage I:C ratio. LOLOL Or again reavailueate the I:C ratio?? :confused:;)

I'm not finding a hypo problem with low carb, I can use my usual I:C. Actually, I have reduced my I:C, but I'd put that down to losing about 6 kg lately through one or or a combo of exercise, LC and reduced calories.

But what I have found is that when I've had a hypo, I have tended not to bounce back as well, which was what I thought was worth mentioning.

DeusXM
To me low carbing is a lifestyle and occassionally life doesn't go as planned so you take care of the bump and move on...not another thought about it.

Exactly. I do worry there is a subset of low-carbers who use low-carbing for far more than just feeding themselves and controlling blood sugars - it seems to be a key part of their personal identity and they seem to get some sort of sense of validation and belonging from it. That's fine; I just hope those people don't feel that by treating a hypo that they are betraying the Movement or whatever and aren't beating themselves up because they had to eat a glucose tablet.

ant hill

If you do have a low, As a low carber would you have a I:C ratio to get back to where you want to be and of course test to see it's successful?? Like say 20G of carb to 1MMOL/L so like if I were say 3MMOL/L then 60G carb? That's not entirely accurate. :confused:

Subby

I think whatever your diet, common sense dictates that as an insulin user you should always eat sufficient carbs to get out of the danger zone of a low. The amounts are going to be different for everyone.

Jan B

I like the simplicity of less carbs = less insulin and less room for mistakes. With an excellent basal profile and very few carbs, those lows can be kept at bay quite well! I have never personally correlated low-carbing to more difficulty coming out of a low, but now I'll be paying more attention. It definitely makes sense.

ant hill
I think whatever your diet, common sense dictates that as an insulin user you should always eat sufficient carbs to get out of the danger zone of a low. The amounts are going to be different for everyone.

Obviosly Subby, But then if you are going low carb, You're will be walking a tight rope so to speak. Also we are human to have some nice things as long that we cover them with the insulin!!!

If you do find yourself low, It wouldn't be as hard going low carb than someone who is on a high carb diet. As I am going on the theory the higher you fly, the harder you fall.

PinkRose
Exactly. I do worry there is a subset of low-carbers who use low-carbing for far more than just feeding themselves and controlling blood sugars - it seems to be a key part of their personal identity and they seem to get some sort of sense of validation and belonging from it. That's fine; I just hope those people don't feel that by treating a hypo that they are betraying the Movement or whatever and aren't beating themselves up because they had to eat a glucose tablet.

It's funny how you put it this way because that is precisely what I experienced psychologically when I embarked on a low carb diet. All was going well until I experienced the inevitable hypo that anyone with T1 will usually unexpectantly get. Then it was low carb out the window for me. You just don't compromise on fast acting carbs to avoid a dangerous low for dear life! I'd get dismayed at the amount of carbs I'd consume and write off that day as not following the 'proper diet'.

There is a reason why my dietician & diabetes educator looked horrified when I told her about the low carb diet I was following about a year ago. The depletion of glucagon in the liver is I believe a potentially serious issue for T1s. We have all heard of T1 experiencing extremely serious lows leading to loss of consciousness which emergency workers have had difficulty in treating. A combination of heavy exercise & a very low carb diet (not to mention adding some alcohol in the mix) can be a receipe for disaster. Reducing basal/bolus dosages is fine, but we all know how hard accurate matching of insulin to bodily requirements can be at times.

Subby
Obviosly Subby, But then if you are going low carb, You're will be walking a tight rope so to speak. Also we are human to have some nice things as long that we cover them with the insulin!!!

Do you mean you are walking a tight rope on low carb, because you need smaller insulin doses? Maybe... maybe not. I personally have quite high insulin needs per carb (I have an I:C around 1:6) and I don't have issues dosing for small amounts of carbs.

And don't forget the claims of the Law of Small Numbers, etc, which suggest that if you are not stacking large amounts of insulin and large amounts of insulin, you are walking much less of a tightrope. I think there is something to that, though I do not think it is an edict to follow blindly as some seem to.

Subby
It's funny how you put it this way because that is precisely what I experienced psychologically when I embarked on a low carb diet. All was going well until I experienced the inevitable hypo that anyone with T1 will usually unexpectantly get. Then it was low carb out the window for me. You just don't compromise on fast acting carbs to avoid a dangerous low for dear life! I'd get dismayed at the amount of carbs I'd consume and write off that day as not following the 'proper diet'.

I don't experience that. If I need 10 or 30 or 50g of carbs to fix a hypo, I use it, and I just go about my diet as per normal, however many carbs I normally have. I know that for me, if I do glut on carbs it tends towards weight gain bloating and dodgy blood sugars, so the lower the better. Throwing out my normal carb goals (not that I really have any, just happens to be around the 50-70 currently I guess in whacks of 10 or 20) would completely run against this knowledge that lower is better, within the bounds of reason.

Yes, it must be said I am certainly not a hard core low carber, and maybe that is why I can happily shrug at hypo fixing as basically irrelevant to my diet, because it's simply necessary. Was the reason that you got discouraged because you were (or suspected you were) knocked out of ketosis?

ant hill

well, It's the morning here and I see a high of 12.5/225 so along with the basel of 54U I also had 24U of Novorapid just to cover for that high!!! :(:mad:

Subby

Well, stuff happens and we gotta do what we gotta do, don't stress it. What is great is that you are in the game, you picked up the high, and you knew what to do about it, and you did it. And I have no doubt that if there was something different to do next time, you've thought about that too. That's being in control of your diabetes and life, so pat yourself on the back. :)

ant hill
That's being in control of your diabetes and life, so pat yourself on the back. :)

Thanks Subby, As I just have to go with the flow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.