Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MCS

Rasberry Ketone WARNING

Flawed

I am a recently diagnosed type 1 I was taking raspberry ketone before I was diagnosed. I mean very recently I never had any diabetic issues til I started taking it when I asked my doctor she informed me that the study was only done on 5 rodents she expressed her disgust with doctor oz I am really new to having diabetes so I guess all I can say is be careful what you put in your body any advice on this diabetes thing is welcome the doctors have me on 45 units /2 xs daily novolin n and 20 units / 3xs daily novolin r does that seem high to you all?

MsMarginalized
I really don't like Dr. Oz.

Ditto!

He picks the most sensationalized topics & never follows-through or up about them.

I'm sorry the RK hurt your wife.

Dumb question here but what is Raspberry keytone suppsed to be good for/do good for us?

pasquale51
I too recently became interested in raspberry ketones. I am in the final stages of breast cancer treatment and know that taking off excess body fat is key to my long life. I checked with my med onc before purchasing. Since I had a HER2+ cancer I have to be very careful not to get any hormones, natural, sythentic, hidden or otherwise. She made it very clear that they needed to be 100% all natural. Well that was not any easy task. I finally found them at NutraBio. 100% natural no additives in a vegetable capsule. 250mg each to be taken twice a day. Quite expensive but exactly what the doctor ordered. Since I have started taking them, only about a week I do feel a metabolisim boost. I do not weigh myself because I get weighed every 21 days at my clinic appointment. I am anxious to see if there is any change. I do have htn and take 2 bp meds but I have felt no side effects related to my bp. Also. my husband is a type 2 diabetic and he has started taken them with me. He has not had any spikes in his readings (he tests 4 times a day) if anything they have been a little more level and he has been able to take a little less insulin. I am not an exercise freak but I do get up and get some exercise everyday. I don't think you can take anything and just sit and get thin. I am on a life path to healthy and hope this continues to be a helpful hand in that. Oh, by the way, I agree, not a Dr Oz fan either. I first heard of raspberry ketones on a cancer website.

My wife and I follow the "'Eat to Live" diet by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It is an anti-inflammatory diet that is also nutrient dense versus caloric dense. I lost 20 lbs. the first month and then 18 over the next 2 months. My energy level is much higher and my blood sugar levels have gone down drastically. I was able to reduce my Metformin dosage after conferring with my doctor. He says if I keep eating this way I will be completely off all medication in a few months. My wife is a 25 year breast cancer survivor so I realize how important diet factors into recovery and long term health. Praying for your continuing recovery and healing!

ant hill

What do we see in TV today? Entertainment?

We now see Drama, News and Current affairs, Infotainment as we get educated in things that may help us in our homes like fixing doors and fixing a leaky tap, Should we go further??

We know within ourselves that to be healthy is to eat the right foods and exercise is the key to a happy life, Think of this path like The Red Shoes fairy tale. Now I am not suggesting to get a pair of Red Shoes but look at good foods and sustained exercise as a path.

Dr Oz is a very tipical TV doctor who is a modern version of western pictures of a horse & cart that sells Elixor to unsuspecting folk in a small town. It's sad but true!!!

Food, Insulin &

Exercise. ;)

:D:D:D

:T:T

:)

bdiab0715

Just reading this post on raspberry ketones I had to comment. ketones are waste products that increase when a diabetic's sugars are up. I don't like anything that spks about ketones personally as an LVN (LPN). B :D

TX_Clint

Hello nurse Barb, nice to hear from you on this issue. However, please do a bit more research on ketones. I generally always have a high level of ketones in my urine because of my low carb diet. These ketones are the result of my body burning fat for energy instead of carbs. If I were t1d it could be an issue if accompanied with high bg. Just saying that ketones are not necessarily a bad thing.

nhbbroadcast

I don't understand why people think that Dr. Oz is making tons of money off of pushing RK. He isn't pushing any brand. Look at Amazon, people have been getting good results from RK. The recommended dosages is only 100 mg per dosage, but many manufacturers are putting 500 mgs. I wonder if that might have something to with it. RK is just like anything else you put in your mouth. You need to proceed with caution. Even peanuts can cause adverse affects on someone with allergies. That doesn't make peanuts a bad choice of nutrition for everyone else though.

I'm going to take RK and find out the truth. I'll just start out with one 100 mg and see what happens. Maybe even half (50 mg), then wait for 12 hours and see if I get an adverse reaction. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the heads-up.

GAgirl

I took the Raspb. keytones after watching that Dr. Oz show...my last OZ show, and I burped up raspberry flavor and acid all day and no matter what I ate, I still had a raspeberry taste in my mouth. I also smelled it heavily in my urine and that's when the bottle went in the garbage. that was too weird for me. I also thought Oz's show, not Oz necessarily, but the writer' s for his show are just providing a product showcase for every product on that show daily. I don't prefer that show any more.JMO.

nhbbroadcast

Yesterday was my first day using RK. I bought a bottle of 100mg per capsule (what is recommended by Dr Oz). A couple of hours later I measured by glucose levels which measured at 105. I have no idea what it would have been without taking RK because it was the first time I've monitored by blood sugar in the last 5 years, which was 130 back then, and the doctor told me I was pre-diabetic. So here are the things I think you should consider in my situation:

1) I've have been on the border of being on a Ketogenic diet prior (around 120 grams of carbs per day). 105 is not that low for a Ketogenic diet, so did the RK raise my glucose?

2) 100 mg is considered a weak dosage of RK, but it is the RECOMMENDED dosage.

3) I ate about 4.5 hours prior to taking my glucose. (Random test)

4) RK made me go potty about 2.5 hours after taking it.

I'm not sure what this all means yet. I feel semi queasy from just ONE capsule (100 mg). I've had to go potty 3 TIMES since taking it. It does suppress my appetite about 20%. I felt like my stomach was less bloated in the morning, but that could be a placebo affect.

That being said, I plan to continue using the RKs. It's too late because I already spent the money anyway. I would recommend anyone who has the RKs to try using only 50 mgs first, then testing glucose levels. I know that's hard to do since some of the capsules are 500 mgs, and you would be taking 1/10th the dosage in some cases. I would not DARE take a 500mg capsule. I would probably live on the toilet. I'm not even sure if my body can handle 100 mgs per day, but I feel safe about my glucose at least.

nhbbroadcast
I took the Raspb. keytones after watching that Dr. Oz show...my last OZ show, and I burped up raspberry flavor and acid all day and no matter what I ate, I still had a raspeberry taste in my mouth. I also smelled it heavily in my urine and that's when the bottle went in the garbage. that was too weird for me. I also thought Oz's show, not Oz necessarily, but the writer' s for his show are just providing a product showcase for every product on that show daily. I don't prefer that show any more.JMO.

I guess I don't blame you for tossing them. I think it's natural to do so. I admit that RK seem to smell up my airways a bit. I mean...two hours later, I could kind of taste it faintly. Kind of weird I guess. I'm just curious how many MGs were in your capsules. Urine smelling might not mean anything. If I eat asparagus, I can smell it very badly in my urine, but I looovveee asperagus.

That being said, I think if you were taking anything more than 100 MGs, that is above the recommended amount.

Cheekietweete

Funny, all these messages and I have a completely different take on it.  I'm taking 850MG each day.  I found a quality raspberry ketone and was taking it for weight loss initially but it really did nothing for my weight.  However, in the positive it did work great for my blood sugars.  It lowered them significantly.  I'm was taking 60 units of insulin daily and have now dropped to 20 units with diet, exercise and raspberry ketones.  I never get stomaches from them.  I'm not having any side effects as described above either.  For me it's been positive experience and not at all negative.  I buy the same one's (other brands didn't have the same effect) every month.  If I stop taking it my blood sugars jump up again.  Just shows how we all react differently to different supplements.  When I watched the OZ show, I believe he said 850MG.  Just giving my 2¢.  

funkynassau

I used to love Dr Oz and watched him daily for years but I came to realize he really does seem to have turned into a snake oil salesman.  There's no way anyone could take as many supplements and pills as he says are good for you, you'd have to own a drug store to have such a big inventory!

I did try the raspberry ketones and they didn't do a think to or for me.  I never felt unwell on them, they didn't affect my blood sugar.  All they did was lighten my wallet.

sweetblood

yeah, I tried it too and I felt really spacey and then wired later on.  and stayed up all night long.  and my blood sugar stayed low for a day or so.  not good.  I started feeling like my normal self a couple days after.

I will NEVER take that stuff again. 

thank you for posting this thread...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.