Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikesmom

discouraged - need info

nikesmom

I was doing excellent on my LC diet and loosing weight. I had lost about 20 lbs (need to loose more than that but it had been the lowest I had weighed in several years). Anyway, because even with the LC I couldn't get my morning BG down - I have high morning readings and I take thyroid meds which all conspire to high morning numbers. Because of these I agreed to try some meds with the result of gaining all the 20 lbs back (even though I didn't eat more food).

getting exercise is very difficult for me because of my schedule - up at 4:30 am not home until 5:30-6pm, out again 3 of those nights at classes and frankly I'm freaking old and very tired when I get home. So exercise is difficult. But I might manage to be able to walk for 30 minutes at lunch time now that the weather is better.

Truthfully please - Is it possible if I really restrict my calories to loose weight even though my age, the medications, the diabetes and the hypo-thyroid are fighting against me? I think I could convince myself to just be hungry if I could loose 40 lbs so I could feel better.

With every part of my body fighing against this goal can it be done? (I'm acually about 70lbs overweight - I would be happy - thrilled beyond words - to loose 1/2 of that!) I've done vegan, I've done LF, I'm doing LC, & I really don't eat a lot - honest, so it isn't that I have no will-power to change, I just don't know how to fight the drugs and the diseases. I've noticed the last 3 weeks as I watch the scale go up again, that I've given up and started to eat some carbs figuring why not - and it frightens me that I've started to give up. Is there hope?

nikesmom
What medications are you talking about?

right now I only take glyburide 5mg once or twice a day, plus my thyroid meds. I can't take Metformin - makes me very, very ill. I did take the long acting insulin (the name of which excapes me) for 1 month - that started the weight gain in earnest. I'm out of that and waiting to get into the diabetes dr next month.

Subby

Was the long acting insulin you took called Lantus? Concerns about insulin and weight gain can be general, but there also seems to be (that I've seen) suspicion of Lantus in particular creating this issue. This might be the case, or it could be co-incidence, eg, people prone to weight gain for a reason, tending to be people prescribed Lantus and they would have the issue regardless of type of insulin.

There are a couple of other options. Levemir is similar to Lantus but may be sufficiently different. NPH is older and not as ideal (on paper at least), but is another intermediate-long acting that might do to supplement a t2's need for insulin adequately.

I'm not suggesting insulin is the core or solution to resolving your control and/or weight issues, but just sticking with this for a moment: when you say you started to gain weight a month in, had you or did you also modified your eating habits in response to going on insulin?

Another point I'd raise is this. If insulin gave you better control, but caused weight gain, and off it you have worse control, but less weight gain, that could be the equation you need to deal with. If you want to gain good control, with no weight gain, you need to reduce your need for insulin internal or external, so that the supply (internal or external) is reduced. Make sense? So while metformin may be no good, perhaps there is something else you can try to tackle specifically insulin resistance. Whether medication, through diet (though there are limits to that as you know) or through exercise, or probably a combo of the three.

Finally, I realise my posts can be dense sometimes, I try and cram in as much info as possible while still being legible with a careful read. Many things I touch on are just suggestions for further research, no expert here.

jenb
...getting exercise is very difficult for me because of my schedule - up at 4:30 am not home until 5:30-6pm, out again 3 of those nights at classes and frankly I'm freaking old and very tired when I get home. So exercise is difficult. But I might manage to be able to walk for 30 minutes at lunch time now that the weather is better.

Truthfully please - Is it possible if I really restrict my calories to loose weight even though my age, the medications, the diabetes and the hypo-thyroid are fighting against me? I think I could convince myself to just be hungry if I could loose 40 lbs so I could feel better....

Oh Nikesmom, I can really sense your frustration!

The answer to your question is YES, you can lose weight, no matter what your age. I found that following Dr. Barry Sears' Zone plan worked. I decided, after a lifetime of yoyo dieting and poor results, it was time to rethink the whole diet thing. The lightbulb finally went off for me when I was about 50: I realized that I didn't have to lose all my weight in a week, a month, or even a year, and I didn't need to attain some mythical "ideal weight". The goal becam to feel healthy. I settled on 1 to 2 pounds a month as my targetl, followed The Zone recommendations (mostly), allowed myself to fall off the wagon on weekends so getting together with friends wasn't such a trial, and guess what? Over the next two years I lost 35 pounds and they have stayed off. The first few months it seemed like nothing was happening - a pound or two isn't that recognizable. I was so amazed though when I tried my benchmark jeans on and they fit - what a reward!

Since my T1 diagnosis in 2007 I have continued to eat generally within Sears' plan - although I don't eat some of the foods (like oatmeal) that were a part of my successful regimen. I use Levemir as my basal insulin and Novolog for boluses. I don't know if it's the relatively small doses of each, but I don't think they've caused any weight gain. Any time I have gained a couple of pounds it's been due to - yes - overeating and underexercising.

As a side note - your schedule sounds very stressful. Did you know that stress alone can increase blood sugar? Adding some meditation (or sleep:T) to your routine might help.

Best of luck.

Jen

jwags

I have heard other complain about gaining weight of sulfyurea drugs like glyburide. You may want to talk to your doctor about Byetta or Victoza. I think you can lose weight at any age. When I turned 50, I realised I was carrying way too much baby weight around, even though my youngest was now 11 years old. It took my almost 10 years but I took it all off and actually ended up below before kid weight. It took a LC/HF diet. I think during that time I plateaued about 5 or 6 times. But I would change things up and start losing again. But I would definitely ask to switch off the glyburide to another drug.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.