Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dccc

question on different brans

dccc

Has anyone used oat, corn, rice or wheat bran and how does it affect your blood sugars? I know oat and rice are soluble fibers and wheat and corn bran consist of insoluble fiber, but don't know if they affect your bg levels. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

e||ement

They have carbs, so regardless of the fibre (which you subtract from the carb count), they will more than likely affect your BG.

As to how much? You have to test test test before and after eating and log log log your results to look for patterns! It's really so different for everyone...

blufloyd

i have done oatbran and flaxseed and chia for a long while. I don't think I get a heavy carb load from them but I do not consume the 1 cup serving size either. I can't imagine choking that much down. And often I make primitive smoothie with them with POM juice that has carbs in it. I like rice bran but it goes rancid in a hurry many times I have bought rancid rice bran....

Also I may have meat or eggs with this but never any other carbs. Fiber is good and that is my main motivation...

jwags

I bought the 5 lb bag of Oat fiber, not oat bran. The oat fiber is mostly all fiber. I tend to add a small amount 1/2 cup in my pancake batter. I get no spikes and it does clean me out. There is a big difference in Oat bran and Oat fiber. I also bought a bag of corn bran but haven't used it yet. The soluble fiber is good for clearing the bad LDL out of your blood.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.