Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Julias

How do you count carbs?

Julias

I eat home made everything so no labels to help me along. How should I count the carbs? Example.. Tonight for dinner I had about 4 oz of steak, grilled with a dab of teriyaki sauce, about the same in buttered green string beans, 4 slices of tomato, some cukes, raddish, green onion, a dab of sunflower oil, one slice of mozzarella cheese, probably half an oz if that. How do I estimate the carbs in that?

Grammy

Hi there,

There are many resources out there to look up the carb count for foods. You would be best to weigh the items and then look it up on something like the Calorie King Database. That meal looks to be nice and low carb!

Leanna

raffi

Nutritiondata.com and sparkpeople.com will also give you nutrition breakdown on your recipes. Both of them are free. I have not used calorie king, so I don't know if it costs, but I have heard good things about it.

Peggy_TX

I usually count them VERY LOOSELY

I'd look at your meal and check the teriyaki sauce to make sure it's not something outrageous. The rest of it I'd just say "yum!" and move on.

These days I pretty much only "count" when I'm facing a higher carb option (eating at a restaurant, dining at a friend's house, etc) where I want to watch and decide if I can make a "good" meal, or if I want to cheat a little and use insulin to cover.

When I really want to add up the calories, I usually use the livestrong site (used to be "my daily plate") I have an account on the portion of the site dedicated to diabetic diets, and it does a GREAT job of adding things up for me.

For ME the question comes down to -- if I add up all these carbs, am I going to DO anything about it. If it's a LC meal like the one you just listed, the answer would be "no" So I wouldn't bother.

jwags

I have a small carb counting book that sits on my counter. It has carb levels for everything by weight. I also use a postage scale to weigh portions. Since I eat very LC I rarely use ingredients with more than a few carbs. Basically meat and fat have 0 carbs. The green beans are probably 4-5 carbs /1/2 cup. The tomato may be 4-7 carbs depending on the size of the slice. My book lists terriayke at 1 carb per Tbl. Cukes are very low carb around 1 carb. I am not sure about the green onion probably almost nothing. After awhile you don't have to look everything up because you know which things are LC.

Peggy_TX
The green beans are probably 4-5 carbs /1/2 cup.

But about 1/2 of that is fiber

So that's another part of the "how do you count carbs?" question

Moonpie

when I first started I entered everything I ate into fitday.com. It was a great tool is seeing how my carb & other things were adding up, it made it much easier to tweak things. These days, I just eat the same meals most of the time, so if I am eating chicken with cabbge etc, I don't bother to count carbs, as I know I am ok on it. If I am trying out a new bottle of sauce or dressing, I will measure it out by the spoon or measuring cup so I know how many carbs I am eating ( per the label) Personally I ignore the fiber.

henry2002

I have a scale with codes for many foods. Log in the code for the food, press the carbs button to get the carbs in the serving, press the fibre button to get the fibre in the serving, subtract the fibre from the total carbs to get the available carbs in the serving as fibre does not affect the blood sugar. For foods that are not coded in the scale I calculate the carb factor for the food, weigh the serving, multply the weight by the carb factor to get the total carbs for the serving. A diabetes educator should be able to teach you to calculate carbs accurately and even though it may sound complicated it is amazingly easy once you get on to it and makes diabetes much more manageable. Have been doing this for a while now so I can visualize a serving size and calculate carbs quite accurately when eating out even though I leave my scale at home. I feel it is worth the effort to avoid post meal spikes.

Gladtobehere
I eat home made everything so no labels to help me along. How should I count the carbs? Example.. Tonight for dinner I had about 4 oz of steak, grilled with a dab of teriyaki sauce, about the same in buttered green string beans, 4 slices of tomato, some cukes, raddish, green onion, a dab of sunflower oil, one slice of mozzarella cheese, probably half an oz if that. How do I estimate the carbs in that?
Julias, I use the Calorie King book for most fruits and vegetables. The book cost about $10.00 where I order PUMP supplies.

HOWEVER, for the meal you describe above, pretty low carb and also very low on the Glycemic Index I also only take half my regular insulin, (T1) before the meal and do a correction at 2 and 4 hours, IF I NEED TOO.

I also only count NET carbs by subtracting the fiber value.

For me at least, I find that sticking to greens has a huge and positive result for the Insulin I need to use (or should I say NOT use) . So, I would suggest that you (T2) may also see pretty good results and possibly could ignore those green carbs.

Just watch out for the garnishes and dressings. Some of those can contain quite a bit of sugar. Although, you don't strike me as a "ketchup on the mac and cheese" kind of person. :-)

Subby

Just one step to make things easier, in case you do want to count the carbs in such a meal. Get familiar with what has carbs and what doesn't. Generally forget oils, meats, cheese. If you only have a small amount of green veggies, I'd basically forget them too. 4 slices of tomato - pffft, unless you suspect you are very sensitive to tomato. Dash - truly a dash - of teryaki sauce - likely pfft (but check the label in case it is indeed packed with carbs). So in that meal, the only real possible culprits for some half decent carbs might be any veggie you eat a decent amount of. Bung them into calorieking to check, add it up if you think it worth adding up, and you've pretty much covered it.

Ela

I don't count carbs...mathematically challenged or something...well, I look at the obvious things as if I'm eating some bread (imagine that!) it should be no more than 20 carbs and usually it's less. Other than that - my food is also bits and pieces as yours and besides that bread it's some rare mixed rice or bit of yam but mostly it's a salad or some other veggie (like cauliflower), bit of meat, bit of cheese, etc. it's so many different things that it would take me hours to figure out every bit and piece so I don't bother counting. I really don't know how much carbs a day I eat - I'm sure it's under 100, but probably even less but I don't really know as I never tried to count as I don't really see the reason. I imagine it would be very different if I was using insulin.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.