Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annsrum

Low carb and pregnancy?

annsrum

I am in the process of trying to get my bg's under control in order to TTC. Currently I am eating low carb as part of my overall plan along with medication.

I am thinking ahead at the moment and trying to do research for the actual pregnancy so I have time to absorb the information.

Is it ok to eat low carb during a pregnancy? How do you know if you are eating enough of the right nutrients for the baby to develop properly? Does anyone have any book recommendations for a type II during pregnancy that is for people eating low carb? What about book recommendations for type II who are TTC?

I've been trying to get in to see a diabetes educator but so far they have not called me back. I've been doing things on my own pretty much.

Thanks!

annsrum
I am. Fat, protein and vegetables are always the right nutrients.
Good to know :) I was just curious as I am still very new to being a diabetic.

Lizzie G

Hi there

I would really suggest you consult a dietician on this one; the reason being is that whilst many choose to eat 'lower' carb, if you are too low carb you will be burning fat for fuel, and generating ketones as a by-product; traces are fine in general, but get to a certain level and they can be very damaging to a developing foetus. Im not sure what your current medication is, but it is likely that if you are on metformin you will have to use insulin instead during pregnancy, and you will almost certainly experience carb craving as a result as you get more insulin resistant during the pregnancy and increase your insulin doses. seriously though, do speak with a dietician before you get pregnant so that you are best able to balance what is healthy for the baby with managing your blood sugars effectively.

Good Luck

jillybean

I went through all of this reading and digging and wondering before I got pregnant. There is NO actual evidence that ketones are in ANY way harmful to a developing fetus. You'll find multiple sources that claim that ketosis is bad for baby, but I have yet to find one single credible resource to substantiate such a claim. In fact, keotnes are useful in baby's brain development. I have, however, found LOTS of anecdotal evidence in FAVOR of staying low in carbs during pregnancy. My own experience has supported this as well. I stayed very low in carbs throughout my entire first trimester and into my second (I have never in my life tested my urine for ketones, but I was definitely in the <30g carbs daily camp most of the time). I had no morning sickness, no weight gain in my first trimester (actually lost 12 pounds, which was fine since I started overweight), no headaches, no swelling...I basically had no symptoms of pregnancy at all until I finally started growing around the middle. I'm now 38 weeks along, and baby and I are both doing fabulously. I have extra ultrasounds to monitor baby's growth since diabetes can potentially lead to a larger baby, but they're estimating baby will not exceed 8 pounds at birth, so we're good to go there.

I have some other places I can direct you to for additional info, but they're mostly other online forums, so I will send via PM instead of posting here since that might be a violation of the Terms of Service...

jillybean
I have some other places I can direct you to for additional info, but they're mostly other online forums, so I will send via PM instead of posting here since that might be a violation of the Terms of Service...

Just kidding - apparently, I can't PM you (either you set up your account to not receive PMs or you're not allowed to receive them for some reason).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.