Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmmtat

Low Carb Hunger?

mmmtat

Random question. I have Cystic Fibrosis related diabetes, and therefore don't change my diet to treat the diabetes. But by chance, I was craving steak and asparagus for dinner. I don't actually know how many carbs are in asparagus, but I do know compared to what I normally eat it's definitely less than my normal dinner would contain.

So I ate a ny strip, baked, topped with butter, and asparagus with lemon juice.

It was fabulous, but I was so hungry that I ended up cooking a whole nother portion an hour later.

My BG was 126 afterwards with no insulin (awesome for me, usually in the 200s, with insulin)....but it's been two hours since I ate the second dinner, and I am starving!!

Just a random question, but do y'all eat more on LC? I usually lean more towards veganism (steak and butter are rare for me), so I fill up on lots of carbs.

Any thoughts or experiences?

CDeuce

Hi mmmtat. You might add more fat - until I did that, it wasn't unusual for me to feel hungry on LC - now, I feel pretty satisfied after eating. Agree with Joan - I often add another veggie with a cheese sauce or butter, or a salad with dressing (not the low fat kind). I avoid most starches, because my bg spikes too high after eating them. Mashed or pureed cauliflower is one of my favorite things -- I add cream & butter when mashing. Tastes very much like mashed potatoes. Love steak & asparagus- yummmm! If you like them, sweet potatoes might be an option for you. LC is an adventure - your nutritional needs, however, are different with CF. I think you can still strike a balance between "good" carbs and balance that with fat & protein.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.