Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeusXM

Dipping medium for olive oil

DeusXM

One of my all-time favouritest ever, most delicious, most fantastic snacks is warm baguette dipped in great quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

The problem is, baguette spikes me like eating a bag of sweets and it hangs around for hours, because of course that's what bread does, not to mention the fact the oil slows everything down

I've got a bit fed up attempting to cover this with insulin but I love the taste of olive oil, although not quite enough to drink it straight from the bottle. Can anyone recommend anything else that would be widely available (ie. wouldn't require a trip to some magical health store) that I could use as a baguette substitute? Needs to be something that can act fairly spongelike and not overpower the flavour of the oil - I thought of pork scratchings but they're too flavoursome.

nordgirl

Hmmm.... that's difficult, because all of the first things that come to mind are spikey carbs - do tortillas spike you? What about some cut up veggies without too strong a flavor like cauliflower or asparagus tips? Should also mention that bread spikes my husband but not pancakes made from chickpea flour, (gram flour) which you can find in any Indian grocery store. That would taste great with olive oil.

raffi

Short of drinking it from the bottle (and don't knock it until you tried it :) ) I find that evo poured on greek/middle eastern style olives and eaten with some cheese is very tasty. While traditionally, this would be eaten in a pita, I find that just using a fork and getting a few olives nice and covered and taking a bite of cheese with it works for me. Oh and don't forget to sprinkle some hot pepper on it.

Hooterville

How about a Wasa Crisp and Light cracker? They are pretty airy so they may absorb the oil and they are pretty flavorless. I load them up with tuna. 4 carbs per graham cracker size cracker. I don't know how widely available they are but they have them at my grocery. Wasa has a lot of different varieties. It's the Crisp and Light that is low carb.

I also like the raw cauliflower idea.

xMenace

I use veggies, but I thicken my dip with balkan yogurt and sour cream. I also add spices. Dunno if it will satisfy your tongue, but it does mine.

jwags

You just reminded me of all those Italian restaurants where they mixed the olive oil with the herbs and you dipped the warm bread in. Once a carb addict , always a carb addict. There probably is no sub for a fresh baguette. Sometimes I do Ok with a low carb tortilla like Flat Outs. You could also make your own bread with Almond Flour. I often make a bread with italian herbs and olive oil so it has the same flavors. If you go to different Paleo sites they have lots of Paleo breads made without wheat flour.

jojeti

How about your finger? Dip and lick...just don't share it with anyone else.

Ok, seriously now, how about popcorn or hull less popcorn?

Caravaggio

Prosciutto.

If you really want bread, how about Farmer's Bread (German Bauernbrot) or wholemeal bread?

Subby

Deus, have you experimented with other breads much? Different brands, types... I found for me it was not much fun to do so, because about 99% of what I tried was hard to cover and I basically tossed bread out as a no no, and I am better for it. However, there were a couple that were much more manageable for me than the rest. I don't know if you get this, but Burgen Soy and Linseed was about twice as easy to cover as the majority of breads for me. I could probably eat a slice or two everyday, but I also avoid wheat now where I can. Anyway, incidentally it does have a nice low GI rating, 35 or some such. It's a grainy bread, but actually quite spongey and bubbly. Subtle nutty taste. If I was looking for a baguette substitute for myself for this purpose, this would take the cake, er, oil, nicely.

IrinaHarr

I love evo with REAL bread, however (for me) none of the experiments with substitutes could replicate the taste and satisfaction of eating fresh warm baguette.

Recently, I became very fond of fresh spinach salad with generous amount of evo:

Spinach

avocado cubed

couple thin slices of onion

1/4 lemon juice sqeezed on top

evo (splash! splash!)

salt

pepper

I toss this salad and eat without any bread - the taste of good evo makes all the difference and bg stays in the range. I think I am a spinach salad addict now :)

dccc

Deus, I found this recipe on another website....do you think it would work for you? The website if Fabfoods.

Recipe for Low Carb Eggplant Chips and Crackers. If you're on a Low Carb diet, here's a great substitute for crackers or chips -- use with your favorite low carb dip and spread recipes.

Ingredients

one large eggplant

olive oil, preferably in a Misto oil spray bottle

about 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

about 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray or brush two large baking sheet with olive oil.

2.Cut unpeeled eggplant into thin slices. Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Spray a light coating of oil on top of eggplant slices and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. I like using thyme and basil, sometimes I'll use tarragon. Sprinkle lightly with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

3.Bake for for about 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the slices. At this point, start monitering the progress -- you want the chips to get crispy without burning. Remove from oven, cool on a wire rack.

jwags

I make my own crackers and natcho chips. Great recipes on the website Comfy Belly. I'm not sure how they would be for dipping. If you could find real rye bread without white flour or real sourdough bread made with the starter that may work. My problem with eating bread , is it is addictive and then I crave all sorts of other carbs. Last time I went to Cararras I dipped cauliflowr and broccoli from my plate in the olive oil. It wasn't too bad.

foxl
Try this recipe - I made it this weekend and it would collect the olive oil.

I left out the flaxseed meal and only used the almond meal

Grain-Free Almond Bread

OOOH, that looks GREAT! Moister than the other one, by far!

HelenM

Agree about trying other breads. In the home of the baguette I rarely eat it. I go for nut or sourdough raised mixed grain breads , even pain de campagne which is sourdough raised with wholegrain wheat/ white and rye flour. All of them are much better than 'baguette'.I get a better result with them than the Burgen soy and linseed which for convenience I eat in the UK. If I lived there I would look for a local, lower GI alternative.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.