Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jojeti

Very low carb vs. low carb...

jojeti

How many of you find it easier to go very low carb (<20 gms a day) vs. low carb (20-75 gms a day)? I do. I find if I try 50 gms or less a day, suddenly I have more choices and it is way easier to get hidden carbs, underestimate the carbs,go over a bit, etc... I go for <20 a day which gives me a bit of leeway with hidden carbs which I expect could bring me closer to 30 gms a day.

ShottleBop

I don't really count. What I found easiest was to avoid all grains, milk (and now, all dairy), starchy veggies, and fruit (except for berries, and only now and then).

nordgirl
I don't really count. What I found easiest was to avoid all grains, milk (and now, all dairy), starchy veggies, and fruit (except for berries, and only now and then).

In the interest of eating a well rounded diet, don't forget to try out quinoa, which is technically a seed and not a grain and doesn't spike my spikey husband, even after he eats a ton of it. Also, chickpeas don't spike him either, I'm not sure where they fit into the carb scheme of things.

xMenace

I'm on a nutrient kick lately, and my carbs and weight have crept up. *sigh* My fruit tray is nearly empty, and I plan on keeping it in that satte for all of April. I'm trying to make my decions art the grocery stores and markets. If it's in the house, I will eat it., regardless of targets.

In the interest of eating a well rounded diet, don't forget to try out quinoa, which is technically a seed and not a grain and doesn't spike my spikey husband, even after he eats a ton of it. Also, chickpeas don't spike him either, I'm not sure where they fit into the carb scheme of things.

My concerns are of course the carb loads but also omega 6 loads. It's unclear how much 3&6 we should eat, but many think we eat far too much ~6, and this comes back to seeds. I will eat thise foods, but not regularly. Many also consider legumes somewhat toxic. I haven't bought in to that theory, but I do pay attention. I go easy on the legumes.

nordgirl
My concerns are of course the carb loads but also omega 6 loads. It's unclear how much 3&6 we should eat, but many think we eat far too much ~6, and this comes back to seeds. I will eat thise foods, but not regularly. Many also consider legumes somewhat toxic. I haven't bought in to that theory, but I do pay attention. I go easy on the legumes.

No red meat, no tofu, no legumes what's next? Plus I just read an article slating fruit the other day, so that may be on the way out too. FYI if legumes are toxic, then I haven't got much time left :D

Peggy_TX
How many of you find it easier to go very low carb (<20 gms a day) vs. low carb (20-75 gms a day)? I do. I find if I try 50 gms or less a day, suddenly I have more choices and it is way easier to get hidden carbs, underestimate the carbs,go over a bit, etc... I go for <20 a day which gives me a bit of leeway with hidden carbs which I expect could bring me closer to 30 gms a day.

Well.... yes-ish. I pretty much aim for "mod carb" (max 100, but more like 75-80/day), so I make my plans around a lower target. Keeps me from having to actually count anything, as I give myself a good buffer zone for condiments and such (like I'm not even going to ask what was in the marinara sauce on my eggplant parm last night.... special night out with friends, and my meter only scolded me a little..... LOL But in the big picture of the day? the rest was REALLY low carb, so I probably still made my "limits" for the day....)

IrinaHarr

I eat about 30g carbs per day (mostly oatmeal in the morning but I have to have it on medical reasons). I was experimenting recently eating a slice of artisan bread now and then or a can of cream of chicken soup. The difference is about 10 points in fbg for me (lower carbs 114 fbg or higher carbs 123-126 fbg in the morning), and it takes several days to get back to 114. Actually eating too much almonds in the evening raises my fbg by 5 points.

jwags

I have swapped my morning Oatmeal for a faux oatmeal. I make it with golden milled flaxseed, chia seeds, a touch of oat fiber and almond or coconut milk. I top it off with some organic butter and drizzle Walden Farms 0 carb maple syrup on top. It is better than any oatmeal and really keeps me regular. I use net carbs when I figure out my daily carbs. I aim for 10-15 grams of fiber per meal. So my overall carb count is probably closer to 50-60 but my bgs are lower because of the 30+ grams of fiber I get daily. I banish certain classes of food like whole grains, rice, pasta, bread, crackers and most fruit except berries. It makes life a lot easier. I use to eat a ton of quinoa before diabetes but I did find it did spike me unless I ate such a small amount, 1/4 cup ( cooked) . So I just gave it up. Occasionly I will use the Quinoa flakes in a very small amount when baking.

Ela

I just as ShottleBop don’t count carbs and avoid (or limit) certain foods as I almost never eat any pasta anymore (except shirataki, but it’s not technically “pasta”), very little rice (1-2 table spoons) and very limited fruit – maybe few bites of some pear or peach or few segments of Clementine. It looks like I can eat some berries in bigger but still limited quantities and a bit of bread (no more than 20 carbs a meal).

I guess your husband is lucky to be able to eat quinoa and chickpeas as they are relatively carby items no matter how you call them.

Chickpeas is 45 carbs per serving (a cup), which is about the whole Joan's limit for a day.Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram), mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt

And quinoa is 39 carbs, which is a bit better but still a lot. Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Quinoa, cooked

I tried these things in the beginning as actually many doctors and dietitians recommend it as "healthy carbs" - they spiked me from 140 to 190 and mind you I NEVER ate more than even a 1/4 of a cup, forget about the whole one! And btw these were days when I tried to go mostly vegetarian. It didn't go too well and I had to abandon that approach.

I think it's possible I can handle more of legumes now as opposed to in the beginning, but honestly? I can eat these things but I'm not crazy about them and since I never was in a habit of eating them regularly I don't think it a good time to start now. However I eat a spoon full here and there when my son cooks and so far I found that mixed basmati rice from Trader Joe's is the best for me from the starchy food group.

Grammy

I've been trying to stay low carb now for about a month....I seem to have really great success with anything under 100 gm. If I go much lower than that right now I am at risk of freaking out a eating a bag of licorice or 10 oreo's. My reward will be a nice steak dinner in the restaurant - skip the baked potato.

ShottleBop

Depends on your definition of "well rounded", I guess. ;) I do (technically) eat some fruits: I have an avocado almost daily, and I eat (raw) tomatoes regularly, and I do have berries a couple of times a month. I eat (what I would call) lots of greens--typically, a huge mound of mixed mustard/collard/turnip/spinach greens as part of breakfast, then again at lunch (or maybe I'll have kale instead). Salads often include artichoke hearts, olives, slices of onion, and often bell pepper (another fruit!). I have a serving or two of almonds, roasted pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts, pistachios, or walnuts most days. I eat unsweetened baking chocolate. I eat fish--sardines or salmon, mostly, but also smoked herring, and sometimes trout--several times a week, eggs almost daily, and different meat proteins daily. Broccoli, cauliflower, squash, and Brussels sprouts also make their way to my plate.

I have tried out grains and legumes. For the first three months after I was diagnosed, I went whole-grain, low-fat, per the ADA. I learned that I could eat maybe a quarter-cup of chickpeas, as well as similar amounts of kidney beans and other legumes, and that I could tolerate a slice of sprouted-grain bread all right--but I also found that, if I avoided starches and grains entirely, my BGs improved significantly. Elimination of dairy is more recent, and, together with the elimination of grains, addresses inflammation, and I think that's working. A few weeks ago, my hs-CRP tested at 0.57 (vs. a "normal" range of 1.0-3.0, with lower being indicative of less inflammation).

ShottleBop

I also have flaxseed on an irregular basis. If we've run out of avocados for breakfast, I'll take a quarter-cup each of flaxseed meal and almond meal, add a splash of Torani's SF syrup of some flavor, add boiling water, and let sit for a couple of minutes.

jojeti

My menu is well rounded...meat, berries, nuts, eggs, cheese, cream, veggies...IMO, whole grains, legumes and chickpeas are not required. I never ate quinoa or chickpeas before because I never cared for them so I have no desire to try them now.

P.S. Corndogs are vegetables, right? (just kiddin' everyone).

nordgirl
I have swapped my morning Oatmeal for a faux oatmeal. I make it with golden milled flaxseed, chia seeds, a touch of oat fiber and almond or coconut milk. I top it off with some organic butter and drizzle Walden Farms 0 carb maple syrup on top. It is better than any oatmeal and really keeps me regular. I use net carbs when I figure out my daily carbs. I aim for 10-15 grams of fiber per meal. So my overall carb count is probably closer to 50-60 but my bgs are lower because of the 30+ grams of fiber I get daily. I banish certain classes of food like whole grains, rice, pasta, bread, crackers and most fruit except berries. It makes life a lot easier. I use to eat a ton of quinoa before diabetes but I did find it did spike me unless I ate such a small amount, 1/4 cup ( cooked) . So I just gave it up. Occasionly I will use the Quinoa flakes in a very small amount when baking.

I like the sound of your faux oatmeal, I'm going to try it out tomorrow, don't have any oat fiber though. Oats spike my husband to 200+ normally. Do you grind your flaxseed?

nordgirl
My menu is well rounded...meat, berries, nuts, eggs, cheese, cream, veggies...IMO, whole grains, legumes and chickpeas are not required. I never ate quinoa or chickpeas before because I never cared for them so I have no desire to try them now.

P.S. Corndogs are vegetables, right? (just kiddin' everyone).

I would starve to death on your diet! And of course corn dogs are vegetables! :D

jwags
I like the sound of your faux oatmeal, I'm going to try it out tomorrow, don't have any oat fiber though. Oats spike my husband to 200+ normally. Do you grind your flaxseed?

I buy the golden milled flaxseed already ground in a big bag at Costco. I also get my chia seeds there. I have to order my oat fiber from Honeyville Grains. It is higher carbs but it is almost totally fiber. I only use a spoonful here or there. It is great as a thickener. It is all soluble fiber the same as in oatmeal. I find a half of a bowl is more than enough for me and I do throw some frozen berries on top. When you microwave it , it is more the texture of cream of wheat. I also drizzle some 0 carb maple syrup on top. 1 bowl will spike me about 20 points at 1 hour but I am usually back in the 100-110 range at 2 hours. Plus it gives me tons of fiber to start the day. It also helps if you have any problems with irregularity. I find when I eat it on a regular basis my weight is lower, because it drags all the bad stuff out of your body. I read on one blog that the chia seeds and oat fiber acts like a vaccuum cleaner in your intestines sucking out all the bad stuff and bulking up your BM.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.