Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

Iodized table salt

MrsMia

Recently I went to refill my husband's salt shaker (he hates sea salt) and brought out the Sterling Morton's idodized table salt in my kitchen cabinet. Just happened to look at the nutritional label and igredients since I've become an obsessive food label reader. I was totally surprised to see that beside the sodium, it also contains dextrose. When I checked the non-iodized salt at the supermarket it contains no dextrose. Neither does the kosher salt. Only the iodized salt. I was surprised to learn of that ingredient in the salt. Not that it will necessarily raise bgs but it does pay to read labels. :)

Seagal

Yes, that was quite a surprise to me several years ago. I started using the Pink Himalayan sea salt (fine-not coarse) and it is delicious and no dextrose.

janice21475

Hi Mia,

I have been using Kosher Salt, too. Somehow, it tastes better to me.

Did I know they added stuff to salt, yes. Seems nothing is untouched. :(

J

DeusXM

Iodised table salt has had a hugely positive effect on public health.

The reason iodine deficiency and its associated symptoms such as goitre are now almost existent in the West is because of iodised salt.

I really would not worry about the dextrose in your salt. It probably makes up less than 0.1% of the total contents, which means you'd need at least 500g to ingest anything that could meaningfully affect your BG. And if you're consuming half a kilo of salt, then your BG will be the least of your health problems.

jwags

I use lite salt and just read the label and there is dextrose in it, but it is still listed as 0 carbs. I bought stevia once and there was dextrose in it. I think they use it as a bulking agent. I had been using Sea Salt in a grinder for years but with all the talk of Iodine deficiencies I have started to use the regular every once in awhile.

DeusXM

The other thing is, it's already been proved that 'Himalayan' salt doesn't actually offer any advantages over ordinary salt (other than it's a pretty colour). Not only does it not even come from the Himalayas, it also has to be flown/shipped all the way from Pakistan at a huge carbon cost. It's the equivalent of those people who insist on drinking Fiji Water - a massive carbon cost for something that can be got on your doorstep, for no benefit whatsoever, and of course, Fiji Water income props up the dictatorship in Fiji. And that's the other similarity between Fiji Water and 'Himalayan' Salt. A portion of what you pay for this salt probably will end up in the pockets of the Pakistani government - a decidedly suspect bunch that has yet to answer questions as to why their intelligence service appears to have very questionable links to the Taliban.

foxl

I buy a Korean sea salt, at my Korean grocery. It tastes much more intense than table salt.

Morton's used to (not sure if they still do) use tricalcium phosphate to make the salt flow better ... so vegans would shun it too!

Maybe they changed the formula?

Anyhow, I GAVE UP. I eat sea salt for the flavor, also use some iodized salt.

So .. WHY are we supplementing such an important mineral, in the VERY DIETARY DEVIL, itself? Shouldn't we be adding it to something better for us??? LOL.

Oh, and I eat seaweed (spicy seasoned laver) for iodide.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.