Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brady

So I am at a standstill,

Brady

Ok, so first off. I am waiting on my A1C to come back from the lab. I am not on any medication.

This is my problem:

All day yesterday and today I have been having quite high blood glucose levels. Normally I am in the 140-180 range. I have been spiking into the 400's the last 2 days.

EXPORT:

4/7/12-437MG/DL 8:16PM

4/7/12-231MG/DL 10:42PM

-------------------------------------------

4/8/12-170MG/DL 9:30AM-FASTING

4/8/12-472MG/DL 11:16AM

4/8/12-155MG/DL 1:23PM

4/8/12-247MG/DL 3:22PM

4/8/12-185MG/DL 5:38PM

4/8/12-320MG/DL 7:56PM

4/8/12-172MG/DL 9:48PM

My issue is that with the huge fluctuations it is making me feel really sick. I am peeing about every 20-30 minutes(Clear urine) I also feel nausous when I hit the 100's and blurred vision when I hit the higher numbers. What can I do about the symptoms. I have to wait for my doc to call me with the a1c and schedule an appointment to discuss medicine. She says that insulin would probably be a good stabalizer for my levels. Any advice?

Subby

Brady, how long have you been diagnosed a diabetic? What type, presumably type 2, but can you be specific? What are some examples of foods and meals that you eat?

If this is sudden and not seen before, I think you are in a potentially dangerous situation. There is both ketosis-prone type 2 (which means you can go high and go unconscious) and there is type 1.5 or LADA, which is quite commonly (about 20% of the time?) perceived to be type 2 diabetes. Again you could be in some serious risk there, and it may be that insulin is not just a good idea, it may be completely vital.

I suggest you seek medical advice now. An endocrinologist, preferably.

jshuffle

Can we get a little more information, Brady?

What were you diagnosed as (T1, T1.5, T2, PreD)?

When were you diagnosed?

Have you ever been on diabetes medications?

How long have your numbers been bouncing around like this?

Brady
Brady, how long have you been diagnosed a diabetic? What type, presumably type 2, but can you be specific? What are some examples of foods and meals that you eat?

If this is sudden and not seen before, I think you are in a potentially dangerous situation. There is both ketosis-prone type 2 (which means you can go high and go unconscious) and there is type 1.5 or LADA, which is quite commonly (about 20% of the time?) perceived to be type 2 diabetes. Again you could be in some serious risk there, and it may be that insulin is not just a good idea, it may be completely vital.

I suggest you seek medical advice now. An endocrinologist, preferably.

My doctor has not officially diagnosed me as type 1/1.5/2. She says that it is easy to see that I have diabetes and she believes it is type 1.5 but not sure yet. She has ordered an A1C test. No, elavated blood sugar(130-170) is just about normal for me as of 2 months ago. but these REALLY high readings are new as of the past 2 days. Maybe longer, I just got the money to purchase more test strips so I went about 3 weeks without testing. I have already tried seeing an endo. My insurence won't allow it without authorization from a primary care doctor. I really don't know what to do right now. I don't think I can take much more of the frequent urination and the confusion associated with high levles. My doc is waiting to hear from the lab.

adiantum

Brady I cant see what type of D you are . At 16yrs it could be either.

Are you obese or thin?

That A1c should be back from the lab by now if it was taken in March. Check with your doctor & BTW Insulin is a good idea

Brady

Can we get a little more information, Brady?

What were you diagnosed as (T1, T1.5, T2, PreD)?

Not officially diagnosed as a specific type yet. Doc waiting on tests to come back

When were you diagnosed?

N/A

Have you ever been on diabetes medications?

no

How long have your numbers been bouncing around like this?

130-170=1 month/200+ 2 days

Subby

Brady, it's all very well for your doctor to remain non-commital to a diagnosis - to a point. They can better determine type with some blood tests such as c-peptide and GAD antibodies - have these blood tests been done or is the only relevant test the A1c? A1c may not help in diagnosing suddenly escalating type 1/1.5 in the past couple of days.

With this recent change to much higher blood sugars, I think they should be insisting you see them NOW or otherwise seeking medical help NOW. You don't give an indication of the expected time frame for an appointment. Are you talking tomorrow or in 4 weeks? If it is not quick smart for your own sake I think you need make other plans. I'm sorry for your situation, in my book (and in my country) fair and reasonable medical support is accessible to all, or nearly all.

Brady

I have an appointment scheduled in 2 weeks. No I do not believe that a-peptide and GAD antiodies are included in the test. The test was also done 4 days ago.

Brady, it's all very well for your doctor to remain non-

commital to a diagnosis - to a point. They can better determine type with some blood tests such as c-peptide and GAD antibodies - have these blood tests been done or is the only relevant test the A1c? A1c may not help in diagnosing suddenly escalating type 1/1.5 in the past couple of days.

With this recent change to much higher blood sugars, I think they should be insisting you see them NOW or otherwise seeking medical help NOW. You don't give an indication of the expected time frame for an appointment. Are you talking tomorrow or in 4 weeks? If it is not quick smart for your own sake I think you need make other plans. I'm sorry for your situation, in my book (and in my country) fair and reasonable medical support is accessible to all, or nearly all.

Subby

I'd suggest you want to see someone closer than that, preferably today or tomorrow. Yes, I know you may not be able to, or it may be hard, but that doesn't change the advice. Go to ER if you have to.

As an emergency measure I'd urge you to cut your carbs right down right now. No soda, juice, sweets. Much reduced starches, bread, pasta etc. Carbs directly spike your blood sugars and escalate the danger of your blood chemistry changing, and you going into diabetic ketoacidosis. That is the thing that kills undiagnosed or uncontrolled diabetics quickly. You already exhibit worrying signs of encroaching DKA - the excessive thirst and peeing.

At the same time carbs are not the only thing, the body is capable of spiking the blood sugar all by itself. Hence the need to get onto fast medical help. Good luck.

Brady

Ok. So the only problem I am running into with this is

A). I don't cook my food around here. I mainly have to eat out/fast food because we are always on the go. I am home only at night really.

B.) what foods can't I eat with these levels?

Subby

You need to avoid carbohydrates. Pop the word in google if you want to find out what carbs are. Breads, pastas, rice, potatoes, pastries, etc. This can certainly be hard if eating out all the time. I'd suggest you head for meat and 3 veg type meals all the time. If you can only order food with lots of carbs, you need to work out a way not to eat it. For example, ask to have it omitted. You might get a strange look but who cares. If that doesn't work, when you get your meal, put all the rice on a plate and remove it or ask for it to be taken away. Again, don't worry about being embarrassed. There are people doing all sorts of bad things in the world. Choosing what you eat is not high on the list of offences.

If you can't really control what you eat, all the more reason to get to medical help sooner than later.

Peggy_TX

If you HAVE to eat at a "fast food" place, consider these options:

Burger or grilled chicken patty -- without bun

Salad -- make sure it doesn't have croutons or a sweetened dressing (ranch and blue cheese are usually good options)

Drink UNSWEETENED tea, water or diet soda

The numbers you are having right now are dangerous.

I would call the doctor first thing this morning and tell him you are having readings of 400+. Ask them if they can see you today, or if they think you should go to the ER.

(insulin is a great idea -- especially if you can get it started TODAY)

jenb

Brady - I don't think you can wait two weeks to receive treatment. You are nauseous, urinating frequently, I'm assuming you're drinking fluid like there's no tomorrow, your vision is blurry. Have you also lost weight even though you're eating? How's your energy level? You should call that doctor today and relate your symptoms; they are indicators of a potentially serious condition - diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) - that probably requires medical intervention. If your doctor will not do anything immediately, please go to an urgent care facility or the ER. In this instance you are better safe than sorry.

Jen

jwags

Hi Bradey, welcome to DF. It is amazing how little Diabetes Information we all get when we are diagnosed. Most of us had to find out on our own how serious Diabetes is. Normal bgs are 70-100 or thereabouts. So even 130-170 is way above normal. It is thought that bgs above 140 could potentially due long term damage. This is why most of us use medications or insulin to get our bgs as close to normal as possible. This also means we cannot eat a normal amount of carbs and definitey not fast food. A lot of us use what we call, EAT TO OUR METER. That means we test 2 hours after we eat. Ideally you want to be 120-140 or lower to avoid damage. Using this process I have eliminated all bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes and even most fruit to avoid those higher spikes. As far as diagnosis the only way to tell if you are a Type 1 or 1.5 is to do the appropriate testing. Have they done a GAD 65 Antibody Test and a C-Peptide test?

Chanson13

This must be really frustrating for you, Brady. I hope you can get in to see a doc about these "spikes" in the very near future. In the meantime, cutting out the carbs may help minimize the swings in BG. I'm hoping you have a parent who can advocate for you and push to get some attention quicker. If you're a Type 1, you should be getting insulin, sooner rather than later.

Brady

No, they have not done any testing at all. The doctor who is the 3rd this year and one who finally takes my concern seriously has ordered an a1c. But nothing other then that. My phone is out of minutes so at this time I can not call my doctor. I'm not in school at this point and on top of trying to get schooling figured out with my dhs worker, I have these spikes and they are not helping me what so ever. My fasting level today was 180mg/dl. Which is way too high.

Subby

From the sounds of it, you probably need to go when your levels are high. I don't suggest spiking yourself on purpose, but if you are still getting 400s after a meal - go after a meal.

Brady

Ok so, last night and today I have gotten 2 really high readings, high enough that my meter won't register it. My meter just displays ketone followed by hyper followed by HI. I have checked the manual and they say it is above 600. Now when I immediately retest it goes to 500ish or high 400s. I have no transportation to the urgent care nor to my doctors without pre arranging it with my landlord. I don't live with my parents and thus have to pre arrange rides and pay for gas. These results are really concerning me. I will be calling my doctor again later today and see what she wants me to do. Guess I can't get away with even a 20z Pepsi. My mistake.

steph08

Your other option is to call paramedics they will test and report to the hospital for you. If it changes by the time you there.

Those numbers can be deadly, I only usually get them if I am really unwell have missed a shot or had a huge few days.

Sent from my E15a using Diabetes forums

Brady

I have been sick al day though. I tend to be sick a lot anymore. Could this have anything to do with it? Also I haven't really eatin much today, a sandwich and chips and a Pepsi. That's all nothing actually healthy for me

linda505

You can't eat like that!! Skip the bread and the pepsi - eat the stuff that you put inside the bread - eat twice as much of that if you have to and drink some water! You have to take control here Brady - no one else can fix that but you and you need to get medical attention when you are that high! Don't you have any friends that you could call to come help you and take you to urgent care? I think you are sick because of what you are putting into your body - a diabetic can't do the same things as non-diabetics - it just doesn't work for us.

Brady

No friends that I feel would take me. I really have had a tough time with friends but there are two, both in oak ridge 40+ miles fom my place. I will call the on call doctor at my clinic and go to the hospital if they tell me too. I know I need to but with dhs being in my life and not staying in there care, it's better if a medical professional tels me to go and notes it on the file. If that makes sense.

I know I need to change how I eat. I'm really bad at change. Especially if I don't make the food. .....ok not trying to make excuses at all. I know it's my bad and in resi,t harming me.

Anyone have any advice for what I can eat besides no bread rice soda and no high carb stuff. Like what about beef? Chease? Coffee, or something with caffeine? Sushi? Fruit to avoid? Artichokes we have. Bunch here and I am the only one who eats them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.