Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brady

So I am at a standstill,

linda505

eat beef, eat cheese, coffee okay - no sugar, try to avoid fruits - artichokes - Yes - not sure about sushi - depends on what is with it. Eat broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, celery, cucumber, avocados, chicken, fish, almonds, if you need a soft drink - buy some sugar free - get some poweraid zero. This is just a start of ideas - there are many - just try to avoid bread, potatoes, cereal, pasta, sugar!

Subby
I will call the on call doctor at my clinic and go to the hospital if they tell me too. I know I need to but with dhs being in my life and not staying in there care, it's better if a medical professional tels me to go and notes it on the file. If that makes sense.

So what happened when you called the on call doctor?

It makes sense if you get a medical professional to send you to hospital, but it doesn't make sense to die because you'd prefer that over trying other ways. And people can and do die in this situation. And for those saying otherwise, diet may have very little to do with the ultimate danger here. This is not a confirmed type 2, and if type 1 or 1.5 with a serious deficiency of insulin you can eat grass all day and end up DKA at the end of it. Reducing carbs is a great idea and may reduce the danger substantially or may just buy a couple of hours if that.

Peggy_TX

Can you give us a better idea of your living situation? I'm very confused. You are relying on transportation from your landlord?

You have "bunches of artichokes" but no one eats them?

Are you shopping for yourself?

You say you don't like with your parents, but since we refer to the food consumption with others.... you have roomates? None of whom drive?

It would be MUCH easier to give you advice and ideas if I had a better picture of what you do and don't have control over. ???

Brady
Can you give us a better idea of your living situation? I'm very confused. You are relying on transportation from your landlord?

You have "bunches of artichokes" but no one eats them?

Are you shopping for yourself?

You say you don't like with your parents, but since we refer to the food consumption with others.... you have roomates? None of whom drive?

It would be MUCH easier to give you advice and ideas if I had a better picture of what you do and don't have control over. ???

Ok. I am currently a ward of the Oregon state dhs cps department. I have been in foster care my whole life. Recently they screwed me over hard time and so I ran from the place I was staying in oak ridge to a friends house in Springfield. Dhs knows where I'm at but they won't help me with any services because I'm not in one of there place,ends. Yes I have roommates. My cousin who doesn't understand hardly anything about blood sugar. I had been posting my statistics on Facebook for my friends and some family to be updated anD everything she says, oh well there better then before. My before statistics where 130, now with these spikes they are like 258 or so. How is that better? Her husband works all day she is gone at school all day and both of the cars here never have much gas in them so unexpected trips are not possible. I haven't even been able to go in and get my a1c the do doctor ordered because they are both always doing something away from the house. My sleeping habits have took a dramatic swing because it's hard for me to sleep. If I go to bed at 10 pm, I will wake up at 12 or 2 then next day. And still be tired. I shop for myself but it's only junk, ya know soda or chips when I'm out and about but most of my food stamps go to them because they lost there's because I'm here. They get what they want and can eat. My cousin is lactos intolerant and my cousins husband is in poor dental health so only soft foods he can eat. Because of this we are usually going out to eat a to time or subway or someplace like that because I don't have the energy to cook and my cousin doesn't want to. I do normally buy a few cases of bottled water though. Ad take it with me. I can't stand city water, it has to be purified because if not it water logs me for so,e reason, that and I can't stand the flavor, leaves a bitter flavor. Yes we have a bunch of artichokes because when my cousin was shopping they had them for 50c for $20 and she was trying to be nice. Because I used to eat them like they where going out of style.

Peggy_TX

OK. That gives us some parameters to work with.

You've got some concerns/limitations, so I'll just try some suggestions on the things that are under your control.

1) when you do shop for yourself, stop buying junk! get lower carb items like veggies, cheese and meat. If you're used to sandwiches -- just wrap some meat in a slice of cheese with mayo/mustard/whatever, and forget about the bread.

2) when you all go out for fast food, try these options: Hamburger place -- just ask for the burger without the bun. Or pull the bun off and eat the burger with knife/fork. If you're at Subway, get whatever sub you would normally get -- but ask for it as a salad.

3) water is good. You can look into getting a filtered jar that goes in your fridge. In the long run, that will save you $$ over buying individual bottles.

I'm sorry your cousin doesn't understand blood sugar. You probably don't want everyone all involved in your daily medical business anyway... I'd suggest you stop posting FB updates. There are threads on this forum where you can post your daily #s and people who understand will read them.

Take one step at a time. Work on what you CAN control. We're here to support you !!

Brady

So my doctors nurse called back, she said that 475 and under wasn't good but not critical. She made an appointment to arrow and said I needed to start meds, possibly insulin. So my only question is if I need insulin like my doctor said would be a good thing to try, what can I do about needle phobia? I hate needles with a passion.

jojeti
So my doctors nurse called back, she said that 475 and under wasn't good but not critical. She made an appointment to arrow and said I needed to start meds, possibly insulin. So my only question is if I need insulin like my doctor said would be a good thing to try, what can I do about needle phobia? I hate needles with a passion.

I was always fearful of needles also but insulin needles really don't hurt and sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Subby

To arrow = tomorrow? GOOD! This is very good news Brady to get you out of the woods right now.

About needles, of course nobody wants to actually take injections for the sake of them, and it will take a little time to adjust. But insulin needles are absolutely tiny and you should hardly feel them. With a little practise and probably a shaky first few days of being brave, your fear will dissipate into nothing. Obviously I can't guarantee that but it happens for the vast majority of insulin using diabetics. It just becomes a minor inconvenience with an upside of keeping you alive and healthy. I got diabetes at age 15: when I started shaving my face, I found that to be possibly more annoying.

Brady
To arrow = tomorrow? GOOD! This is very good news Brady to get you out of the woods right now.

About needles, of course nobody wants to actually take injections for the sake of them, and it will take a little time to adjust. But insulin needles are absolutely tiny and you should hardly feel them. With a little practise and probably a shaky first few days of being brave, your fear will dissipate into nothing. Obviously I can't guarantee that but it happens for the vast majority of insulin using diabetics. It just becomes a minor inconvenience with an upside of keeping you alive and healthy. I got diabetes at age 15: when I started shaving my face, I found that to be possibly more annoying.

Yes I ment tomorrow. I am using my iPad with a Brocken screen unfortunately to respond to these. I am also legally blind which makes it just that much more annoying when I miss a key.

Brady

So I went to my doctors appointment. She did a full test case, a1c full medical board. She said the my spikes are not normal and she doesn't know what is causing them. She said that it's possible an insulin/beta cell tumor but that that morally ,ales you low not high. If my test come back normal she is sending me to an endo. She said I was running a fever of 100. And my blood pressure at the beginning of the.appointment was 160/63 at the end it was 130/72. She said both were really high.

Peggy_TX
So I went to my doctors appointment. She did a full test case, a1c full medical board. She said the my spikes are not normal and she doesn't know what is causing them. She said that it's possible an insulin/beta cell tumor but that that morally ,ales you low not high. If my test come back normal she is sending me to an endo. She said I was running a fever of 100. And my blood pressure at the beginning of the.appointment was 160/63 at the end it was 130/72. She said both were really high.

SO happy to hear you saw a doctor and she is taking your condition seriously.

Sounds like you are finally on the path of getting the care you need and deserve.

In the meantime, get rest and EAT WELL. If you're already running a tiny fever, you need to give your body all the help it needs to get you well.

We're routing for you!!!!

Brady

Thank you all. I really need support here I have missed my girlfriends concert and her awards yesterday because I just feel like ****...

Brady

Ok ,well as my doctor asked me to try eating something high in carbs, bad mistake I ate 1 burrito from toco time because I was near it and really hungry. I am now at 373mg/dl 4 hours after words.....not doing that again, I feel like **** but at least me and my doctor now know how easily I spike.

linda505
Ok ,well as my doctor asked me to try eating something high in carbs, bad mistake I ate 1 burrito from toco time because I was near it and really hungry. I am now at 373mg/dl 4 hours after words.....not doing that again, I feel like **** but at least me and my doctor now know how easily I spike.
Now the the thing that you should try once you return to normal is to eat a meal without the bad carbs. Eat some meat, cheese and vegetables and see what happens. This will help you learn what you need to do and let your doctor know that. start a log on what you eat and what your sugar does 1 hr and 2 hrs later to see what happens. This helped me a lot to find out what I can and cannot eat. Good luck Brady - we all are thinking about you!

Chanson13

Glad you got to see the doc, Brady.

Try not to get too worked up about insulin needles - they are truly TINY and you'll get the hang of injecting with little or no pain. I remember thinking there was no way I could do that to myself, but within a week I hardly thought about it.

I'm really sorry to hear about your falling out with DHS. They are the ones who should be giving you the support and advice that you need. I do understand how difficult it is at times. Particularly when you're getting ready to age out of the system, I think DHS doesn't have the time and resources to do much for you. In my experience, the DHS case workers are mostly looking for a little cooperation and help from YOU in order for them to get on board and really push to get you services or help that you can actually use. Once the case worker understands that you are serious about helping yourself and doing the right things, it should get easier.

poodlebone

Try not to get too worked up about insulin needles - they are truly TINY and you'll get the hang of injecting with little or no pain. I remember thinking there was no way I could do that to myself, but within a week I hardly thought about it.

I agree, Also, if Brady gets pens rather than a vial & syringes, it's even easier. You don't have to draw up insulin into the syringe and I think that's also a big mental hurdle some people deal with. I know I had issues with that when I was diagnosed. I didn't mind the jab so much and they didn't hurt, but I hated drawing up my insulin into the syringe. A pen looks like a Magic Marker and you just have to turn a dial and jab. There are very short needles available.

Brady

So my doctor called with my results. She said that my a1c was 5.5% which is about .7 percent higher then 2 months ago. She didn't seem concerned with the a1c. What worries me is she doesn't want to start meds or anything because the a1c is ok. But I'm still getting the spikes. Today after only a veggie burger with lettuce as a bun my reading was 199 haven't checked it yet, I just ate something else for lunch so I will check again in a bit, I noticed that my urine really smells kinda sweet or as far as urine goes. But I don't have sweet breath or anything like that. I am also really tired so I am going to take a nap for a bit, was up till 5 am helping my sister. Should I push for insulin? Should I try buying the non prescription insulin if the doctor won't prescribe it? At this point what should I do?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.