Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brady

So I am at a standstill,

Brady

So this is strange, my doctors office called. They now don't want me testing my blood sugar even with the previous spikes because the a1c came back normal. Go figure. So she doesn't think the spikes that where recorded for a week where really happening. She thinks it was a meter skew up or conta,inaction. Now how is that possible for over a solid week? Ran control tests. Have the symptoms and even on my cousins meter today, I was at 342. Before I ate.

Ela

Some doctors should be shot! I'm sure your Medicare is trying to save money on your strips and they probably told this your doctor. Can you change this doctor?

Brady
Some doctors should be shot! I'm sure your Medicare is trying to save money on your strips and they probably told this your doctor. Can you change this doctor?

I agree so what can I do know since the doc isn't wanting to do anything. Is it this da,n hard to get medical help?

Ela

As I said: can you change the doctor? If not, maybe you can call Medicare yourself and explain the situation. If you are "fine", you should feel fine and since you're not, you need some help - maybe insulin and maybe some medication and tell them that you're going to go to the ER because you don't have another option as your doctor is not helping you - it may change their mind as hospital cost more than strips.

Brady

No I can not change my doctor until 2013. My insurence won't allow it. I am only using OHP+/LIPA. I am not sure what is going on with this doctor at all. One day she says yes you need meds, then No meds needed, except insulin. Then the A1C comes ack a 5.5% which is a jump from 5.0% not even 2 months ago. She now does't want me testing my blood sugar at all. She says there is no reason to if the a1C came back normal. I asked her if seeing how the huge spikes started about a week ago, would this influence an a1c and she said yes if the spikes where actually happening even for a week that i would be well above 6.0% which I am only at a 5.5% according to the PEACEHEALTH labs. So again I am stuck with yet another doctor that is giving me a run around.I am sick of this!!!!

Brady
As I said: can you change the doctor? If not, maybe you can call Medicare yourself and explain the situation. If you are "fine", you should feel fine and since you're not, you need some help - maybe insulin and maybe some medication and tell them that you're going to go to the ER because you don't have another option as your doctor is not helping you - it may change their mind as hospital cost more than strips.

The really funny thing about this but sad at the same time is that the local ER (riverbend hospital) knows me by name. Last time I took my sister in they looked at me and said OH GOD, Not you again, Please tell me it's not you.....

Peggy_TX

An A1C is not always the best indication of your sugar. If you are really low as often as you are really high, it all ends up looking like a fine average.

Call the doctor's office back and let them know you are very worried about your continued spikes, and you'd like to do a glucose tolerance test.

Brady
An A1C is not always the best indication of your sugar. If you are really low as often as you are really high, it all ends up looking like a fine average.

Call the doctor's office back and let them know you are very worried about your continued spikes, and you'd like to do a glucose tolerance test.

What's stupid is I forgot to mention I actually did this, on thursday of last week. It was right after she took the blood draw for my a1c. The fasting level was 135MG/DL, The 1/2HR was 212MG/DL the 1HR was 269MG/DL and the 1.5HR was 280MG/DL and the final 2HR was at 250MG/DL I am so sorry to have forgotten to mention this. I knew I was forgetting to put something on here. The thing that interests me is she didn't seem concerned about the high levels. She said that because the fasting level was high the results where going to be high. Such bull ****.

Subby

I am NOT suggesting that he NOT see a doctor. Quite the contrary.

I just want him to WORK ON HIS OWN HEALTH in ADDITION to seeing the doctor.

Surely you would agree that he needs to be an active participant in the control of his health?

I'm happy you are not suggesting he not see a doctor. That was my only concern. Of course you can have the opinion that a doctor is not needed at this time, but your point was made in way rather dismissive of the idea of seeking medical help.

I completely agree that one should work on one's own health and be an active participant. I don't think that bears on seeing doctors or not, indeed seeing doctors when things are not clear is important. Nor do I think we can ever get the full picture here, unfortunately. Here I think there is a suggestion something else here is going on than your typical t2 situation, whether that be another reason for the diabetic symptoms, or an underlying sickness that should be picked up and treated ASAP. Also not knowing the quality of the doctor already seen, I would continue to support/suggest seeking good medical help.

Peggy_TX
I'm happy you are not suggesting he not see a doctor. That was my only concern. Of course you can have the opinion that a doctor is not needed at this time, but your point was made in way rather dismissive of the idea of seeking medical help.

I'm really sorry if it came across that way.

I've been following each and every post he's made, and am very concerned that he get medical treatment for whatever it is that's going on.

I just feel that the reason he is being repeatedly dismissed by the ER and doctors is that he can't show a clear and consistent pattern.

I literally meant that I felt 2 days of cosistent, LC eating -- combined with clear record keeping of sugar levels and symptoms on that LC food -- would help his medical staff take his problems more seriously.

Unfortunately, the financial reality is that the less coverage you have, the more you need to take on yourself so that you can help the professionals narrow their focus and testing.

That's all I meant by that. Nothing IN ANY WAY was intended to convey that he should stop seeking professional medical care in getting well.

Subby

It's a forum, don't stress minor differences of opinion or the inevitable slightly askew message (whether from the writing or the reading) here or there. :)

Brady

Ok so right now the best I can do is make a food log, which I'm already doing. Unfortunately I can't keep track of the sugar levels. What is concerning me the most is that my cousin had these exact symptoms, or so she says and then she wound up in the eR for ketonasidosis sorry for bad spelling. Anyways. This is what has her and me both worried. It seems that day by day now I'm feeling worse and worse. Today I have had frequent urination a lot!!! And thirst and a dry mouth that I can't quench. Also dry hands even with lotion that I never like using.

Subby
What's stupid is I forgot to mention I actually did this, on thursday of last week. It was right after she took the blood draw for my a1c. The fasting level was 135MG/DL, The 1/2HR was 212MG/DL the 1HR was 269MG/DL and the 1.5HR was 280MG/DL and the final 2HR was at 250MG/DL I am so sorry to have forgotten to mention this. I knew I was forgetting to put something on here. The thing that interests me is she didn't seem concerned about the high levels. She said that because the fasting level was high the results where going to be high. Such bull ****.

I agree with you. The fasting level argument, that coming from 135 mg/dl makes for an expected 2hr pp of 250 mg/dl, is just bizarre. Your numbers showed clear reason to give you better tools to manage - now. Even just making d amn sure you have testing strips come high water, because if you are approaching 300 at times, who is to say things don't get worse and you approach higher numbers and even the ketoacidosis threat sometime over the next bit? I'm not trying to be sensational, I truly think you may be in danger and need to be vigilant, but have not been given the tools to do so effectively.

I don't know what else to say except keep eating low carb, it may save your backside, but there is also no guarantee that it will, especially considering your sketchy diagnosis. Otherwise I'm just a broken record. Seek good medical advice, or even just any alternative medical advice to this. You deserve better help and support. I hope you can find it.

Ela

Brady,

I really don't know what to tell you as I'm not expirienced with this and it seems that medical system is changing right in front of us and if somebody doesn't have enough money/coverage, they'd just tell them 'you're fine" and send them home.

You FAILED your test and those are diabetic's numbers, so I don't know what's the problem with the doctor and with the insurance! And yes, maybe there is also something else going on, but it has to be a professional to look into it and make a diagnosis. Maybe somebody else has something smart to suggest. But for now I'd say - please keep eating low carb and keep seeking medical help.

Good luck and hugs!

Brady

Trust me, no one here is a Brocken record. I feel that I need to keep being told to seek other medical advice or I may just give up. I have so much going on right now. I a, dealing with depart,ent of human services trying to get emancipated, dealing with trying to get into schooling that will support my needs as a legally blind student, dealing with court for dhs and now...dealing with this...omg there is not enough hours in the day, nor enough time that I feel well enough to do them. Like I answered the phone to the high school today and because I felt so confused?? She told me she would email me the meeting time because I just couldnt get it down! I had eatin something my cousin other cousin then the diabetic, made me and she said it was low carb. I was too. Hungry to disagree or find out for myself. Come to find out it wasn't. She added yum! Sauce to it which is full of sugar and carbs, more carbs then sugar. Then she also added pinnaple I knew it was high carb the minute I ate the pinnaple. So I'm still suffering from that now I think, but not sure.

Brady
Thanks for the caring and support from everyone! God only knows I need it right now. And *hugs* back to you all.

UGH... I am so done with high blood sugar levels or what ever is making me pee a lot.... I have been up since 11am peeing every hour. Now at 2:10 in the morning I am peeing about every 10 minutes. I can't even get to sleep with doing this. I am getting a headache back again....ugh and I have court at 7 am. Wish me luck...it's court for dhs case review nothing bad...

Brady
UGH... I am so done with high blood sugar levels or what ever is making me pee a lot.... I have been up since 11am peeing every hour. Now at 2:10 in the morning I am peeing about every 10 minutes. I can't even get to sleep with doing this. I am getting a headache back again....ugh and I have court at 7 am. Wish me luck...it's court for dhs case review nothing bad...

So a thought that crossed my mind is would buying humalin R or novalin R be beneficial to me at this point? I mean no doctor seems concerned about my levels and I'm just getting sicker and urinating more and more.

I know how to administer insulin and what dosage to do it at determining current level plus carbs taking in plus my insulin to carb ratio which my doctor had originally said was 16g/unit so a 50g carb food would require aprox 4 units right? I just know that with school starting and court and constant travel and sugar levels being this out of control I can't afford to feel this way. I am getting 700 dollars this month in ssi so I can budget for the insulin and Syringes and test strips. In Oregon I can get syringes and humalin R without a script.

My question is do you think it would be useful in controlling my bs levels?

Brady

FYI my bs is now at 203 after not eating since 4 pm I am trying not to eat much cuz when I do it make my sugar go up and I feel sick.

Peggy_TX

Do not try to get insulin and take it on your own.

If it gets bad enough, sit in the ER and demand that SOMEONE take you seriously and provide you the help you need.

You need to get control of the things you can control -- food.

Use that SSI budget for strips and THE RIGHT FOOD

Get someone to take you to the store TODAY and get the following: eggs, bacon, salad, rotisserie chicken, nuts

Breakfast: eggs and bacon

lunch: salad with hard boiled eggs and some chopped rotisserie chicken

dinner: Rotisserie Chicken + salad

Snack on a handful of nuts in between meals.

NOT EATING is going to make your sugar go up. You have to eat, and it has to be ACTUALLY low carb -- not something you trust someone else to make.

You HAVE to eat the RIGHT food long enough to find out how your body is going to react. You may still need more than that -- but if you can't manage to eat a correct/reliable # of carbs, you're not going to be able to "correct" it by throwing random amounts of insulin at it!!!

Control your food/eating first. Treat it as seriously as you would treat medicine/insulin -- because it's every single bit as important.

There are lots of free internet sites you can use to monitor/log your diet. I recommend livestrong (there is a section called "My Daily Plate D" which is specifically for tracking diabetic related issues). (I know others here use other sites they are happy with also)

Is there someone you can get to help you talk to the doctor? You seem to have failed the glucose tolerance test + you have having uncontrolled spikes that are keeping you barely functioning. There's no sane reason why this doctor is not prescribing SOMETHING for you... maybe this is a communication problem and someone can assist you?

Brady

Well in my opinion, my doctor doesn't want to do anything due to dhs talking to them and saying that I have gone to the er when I felt low before, my caseworker is a royal, *****, sorry for language but really no other way to describe her. My doctor was willing to go farther into this until dhs found out I had a new doc and had a chat with her. Now my doc seems closed minded and isn't wanting to do anything. I am going to have to wait until the 22nd or the 25th to go shopping as I am currently broke and no one here has money for anything even gas right now.

Brady
Well in my opinion, my doctor doesn't want to do anything due to dhs talking to them and saying that I have gone to the er when I felt low before, my caseworker is a royal, *****, sorry for language but really no other way to describe her. My doctor was willing to go farther into this until dhs found out I had a new doc and had a chat with her. Now my doc seems closed minded and isn't wanting to do anything. I am going to have to wait until the 22nd or the 25th to go shopping as I am currently broke and no one here has money for anything even gas right now.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like I'm making excuses left and right, please don't think that I am. I am really struggling financially and the little bit of money I got from running servers for a friend of mine isn't coming in because I don't feel well enough to program data for 8 hours and not screw up royally.

Peggy_TX

Telling your doctor that you've gone to the ER for low blood sugar should simply tell your doctor that there's more going on than your A1C indicates (if you're having lows, then your highs can get lost in the average)

I understand you're upset and frustrated, and people seem to be working against you.... but you need to start getting to the WHY of it all. WHY would your DHS case worker want to keep your doctor from helping you? I'd call the doctor and say "you seemed to be working to help me until you talked to my caseworker. did something that was said change how you're treating me?" It could be misundertandings between professionals. It could be you projecting issues from your past that don't exist now. You'll never get anywhere unless you communicate!

What low carb food is in the house right now? And/or when/where is your next meal coming from?

Cormac_Doyle

Brady ... I've not been following closely, but where exactly are you based? and when you say the DHS are on your case - are you talking about the US Department of Homeland Security, or some other organization?

Regardless of *where* you are, if you are having both regular lows, and regular extreme highs, you need to address that. the A1c is simply an average. Understanding that is important, because it means that someone who always stays between 72 and 128 and someone who bounces between 52 and 220 can have the same average ... assuming they go low regularly!

Especially if you are finding it difficult to get medications and test strips, the first thing you need to look at is the underlying reason we have highs and lows.

A HIGH is caused when carbohydrates (from ANY source) are dumped into your blood as glucose

A LOW is caused when insulin (from ANY source) clears more glucose from your blood than should happen.

In a non-diabetic individual, the body maintains a "homostatic balance" (e.g. it uses a variety of balancing factors to maintain a relatively level blood glucose regardless of what is going on ... when you eat, the BG will begin to rise, but you release insulin to cause your systems to pull the glucose out of the blood. When your BG starts to fall, you stop producing insulin, and if necessary (say during exercise, etc), you may release other hormones to trigger the release of some of the stored glucose from your tissues.

In someone with diabetes, this complex system of interlocking components is out of whack to some degree or other. This means that we cannot properly regulate the levels. This means that we are prone to both HIGHS and LOWS.

We can avoid the Highs by reducing the carbs in our diet; our bodies can create the glucose necessary for normal functioning from our other foods, but this means that there is never massive amounts of it causing spikes.

The lows can be avoided by reducing our medications.

(LOWS can also be caused as a reaction to a high - our bodies cannot cope immediately to the HIGH, but then over-correct and cause a low. This is MUCH more likely in response to a high-carb meal.)

It is impossible to eliminate all carbs ... but you definitely should cut back ... it will make managing the condition easier while you wait for the doctors to give you the assistance you need!

Brady

Speaking of lows, I think for once in a long while at least a month I truly felt low today. I woke up in a cold sweat, tired but then again I only slept for 3 hours. But now that I'm up and moving around I'm starting to feel like I'm getting high again. I feel crappy still, had a break from the frequent urination every 10 minutes now. See how long this lasts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.