Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brady

So I am at a standstill,

Peggy_TX

You're up and about -- but have you eaten? We keep telling you that your liver is designed to dump glucose into your system if you do not EAT SOMETHING

Parts of this is IN YOUR CONTROL if you will think about what we've told you and try to follow the guidelines we're giving you.

I'll ask again : What low carb food is in the house right now? And/or when/where is your next meal coming from?

If you list out what is available to you, we can provide suggestions. If you just randomly eat/don't eat... well.... your blood sugar is going to go up and down. But that isn't random -- it tracks with what YOU are feeding YOU

Brady

I will have to get back to you on what is here. I honestly don't know as I mor,ally don't cook for myself. I normally have a meal with everyone else. Today's morning meal was actually, eggs 4x suasage, couldn't find any bacon. I know sausage probably isn't the best. And a glass of water.

Peggy_TX
I will have to get back to you on what is here. I honestly don't know as I mor,ally don't cook for myself. I normally have a meal with everyone else. Today's morning meal was actually, eggs 4x suasage, couldn't find any bacon. I know sausage probably isn't the best. And a glass of water.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS is what I'm talking about!

Yes, that was a fine breakfast.

But you can't just "let food happen to you" Especially while you are pushing/asking to take insulin, which is a medication that you need to be in full control to use properly!

I'm pushing you, because I know you can do this.

You need to make DECISIONS about your life. And that includes your food.

I know you're fighting so many battles right now it seems like you can't win any of them -- but here's one that will pay off.

TALK to the people who you live with and let them know that you are really serious about controlling what you eat. You can eat with them when the choices fit your food goals. And you NEED to have "backup plan" when their food doesn't work for you. Maybe that just means you always have some eggs onhand, and you learn to make scrambled eggs. You can do that.

Each and every GOOD decision you make, and each and every piece of your life that you claim control over, will help you with the others.

Go look through the kitchen and start figuring out your "backup food"

YOU ARE IN CONTROL!!!!!

Moonpie

Peggy is right, you can help yourself by eating the right foods. It won't cure everything, but it will help, & maybe stop some of the crazy highs you get when you eat the tacos etc. Sausage is fine. I love sausage. Good luck in court today. HUGS!

Brady

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes I am now trying hard to control this. I will keep you updated as it goes. Also one burden is getting lifted, dhs is requesting to leave ,y case..yay...and cooking isn't a problem for me as I have had to cook for a family of 12 before.

Moonpie

well if you are happy about the dhs than I am happy for you too. Maybe the Dr think you are selling the scripts for strips on ebay, which is why they are not helping you out. Next time you get high or low, go to ER.

Brady

I will. And it's official dhs is out of my life. The judge release the case to me today. Which means all of my ssi will be coming to me so I can actually afford what I need. And selling scripts? Idk why she would think that..but possibly.

Brady

Just a tid bit of a message a dear friend of mine sent me today after updating her on my doctors doings.

Oh, Brady… You have every right to vent! *This sounds crazy! *I've never heard of a doctor who ignored serious symptoms and did nothing, just because of one test result. *She knows how long you've had these symptoms because of the reports from the ER and Urgent Care. *I'm really really sorry you're being treated this way, and that your case worker isn't on your side

So the symptoms she is talking about is mainly lows. Because for the past 2 months I have ran low a lot! But now I'm going high...

Peggy_TX

Well... the good news is, no more case worker! So that's one fewer person "not on your side" -- right?

Does this impact your insurance situation at all, or are you still stuck with this one dr until next year?

Brady

I'm still stuck with this doctor till next year, that is IF I can keep my OHP. Dhs was the one who assigned me to OHP and now that I a, not in there custody I don't know if I'm going to loose coverage or not. Dhs isn't sure either. They said they will look into it.

Brady
if you loose the OHP, I think you may qualify for medicaid. Don't give up :)
from my understanding Medicaid requires a premium right? I don't have any means of money to cover a premium. OHP isn't charging a premium or it's paid by dhs, either way.

Peggy_TX

Medicaid is also eligible for disabled people. Since you've mentioned SSI, I assume you are qualified as disabled due to your sight restrictions?

Call the Office of Medical Assistance Programs at (800) 359-9517 tomorrow and talk to someone about what you need to do next.

(OHP seems to be Oregon's implementation of Medicaid -- so it may turn out they are one and the same in your state)

Brady

So just a question here. I had a 312mg/dl level before eating tonight. And as we where going out to eat my friend suggested that I use.just a bit of insulin. She got a fresh needle and drew up 5 units of her insulin, can't remember which type it was. But now 3 hours after eating I'm at 141mg/dl and feeling great! Like more alive then I have in a long time. So even though my doctor isn't doing anything and I can't see an endo at this point. What should I do? She has an extra bottle of insulin as her script gives her 2 and she only uses 1 a month. I can get syringes cheap here in Oregon and without a script. Should I give this a test run? Because tonight I was actually about to go to the hospital I felt so bad. But not now.

Brady
So just a question here. I had a 312mg/dl level before eating tonight. And as we where going out to eat my friend suggested that I use.just a bit of insulin. She got a fresh needle and drew up 5 units of her insulin, can't remember which type it was. But now 3 hours after eating I'm at 141mg/dl and feeling great! Like more alive then I have in a long time. So even though my doctor isn't doing anything and I can't see an endo at this point. What should I do? She has an extra bottle of insulin as her script gives her 2 and she only uses 1 a month. I can get syringes cheap here in Oregon and without a script. Should I give this a test run? Because tonight I was actually about to go to the hospital I felt so bad. But not now.

Before anyone sculdes me about it, no offense. I know it could have ended badly but it actually helped me. I even talked to my another friend of mine who is a nurse and she says it might be worth trying even for a week.

Brady

She said she can even provide a sample of humalin R so I don't have to buy it even though it's about the same price as a vial of test strips for me.

Subby

As someone with little experience, I would very, very strongly suggest you do not use insulin without testing at least 4 times a day. particularly 2 hours after a shot/meal. Maybe you've gotten onto test strips now? If so, I still wouldn't recommend it without being more sure of what you are doing, but if you decide to do sp just keep testing before and after, during the night if you can, and in the morning. If you do not have test strips, please do not follow this course, you could very easily go into a diabetic coma. Go to the ER instead (when you know you are at a state that they will need to listen to you).

Brady

Trust me, I won't be doing it without test strips my money comes in soon and I am setting aside every bit I need for the supplies including testing strips.

Brady

And my cousin had a few strips that my meter could actually use go figure, she has the presto pro and I have the presto x2 the new one

linda505
Trust me, I won't be doing it without test strips my money comes in soon and I am setting aside every bit I need for the supplies including testing strips.

Remember the inexpensive strips and meters at walmart - Relion! If for some reason you can't get them covered by your insurance - you can spend $46 dollars for 100 strips and meter - so even if you had to buy 200 strips a month - that will only cost you $72 a month. Testing often is important until you get the correct medical help and eating right is also important. Have you in my thoughts Brady!

Peggy_TX

Sorry.... I really don't think this is a good idea.

You have shown REPEATEDLY over the last weeks that you are not yet in control of what you are eating.

If you don't know what/when you are eating, how are you going to know how much insulin to use?

If you want your blood sugar to stay low enough that you're willing to inject an UNPRESCRIBED DRUG... well.... you FIRST need to want it enough to control your blood sugar via FOOD

The "goal" I gave you as a start was TWO DAYS of controlled eating. You haven't mastered that one yet.

(I have yet to see you post one FULL DAY of lo-carb eating and sugar readings.....)

Come on.... stop trying to take "short cuts" that LITERALLY put your life in danger.

Suddenly you have test strips to get you through until the SSI comes through.

Eat right. Count/track your carbs and test as often as you possibly can in conjunction with eating.

If you need a PRESCRIPTION DRUG, find a doctor that agrees with you.

Monitoring and tracking your food and blood sugar is a piece of what it's going to take to do that.

If your friend/cousin can give you drugs and test strips, I'm betting they can help you buy a dozen eggs and some ground hamburger to get you through the next couple days.

Brady

I want to apoligize if any of my post seem at all confusing, I have actually been logging my food intake and since yesterday I have been loggin my blood sugar levels. I don't have as many strips to check as often as people would like. I have just enough to get me through today. And please don't assume that just because a person can help me with one thing they must be able to help with another.i fully understand your concern Peggy, really I do! I haven't posted my levels on here because I have been posting when I'm out and about. Let me sit down and post what I have so far for you. Mind as well, can't sleep anyways.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.