Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brady

So I am at a standstill,

Brady

Sorry if the hand writing didn't come through, She writes on the a1c field, 5.5%

Then the next section is: A1C indicates you do NOT have diabetes.

next section: Whether or not you have a family history of diabetes, I recommend eating only a low carb diet.

linda505

Brady,

I think the thing to take from all of this is that you most likely have the beginnings of diabetes and that maybe it came on strong and suddenly. I wouldn't spend too much time looking at all the blood work and worrying about it - that isn't going to help you and you will end up driving yourself crazy. The proactive thing you can do is try to control your BG with a good diet. That way you are doing something to help yourself no matter what the doctor thinks. When you can - change doctors to get someone that will understand the issues that you are dealing with. I had a 7.7 A1c at diagnosis. The doctor did not put me on meds - he wanted me to try to control it with diet and exercise and that is working for me. I did a home A1C about a week ago and it was 5.7 - so that is a great improvement in just over 6 weeks. So matter what the tests say - you know from your own testing that you have some issue with your BG and you also are gaining the knowledge to control it. Over time you may discover that you need meds also and if you eat right and test often and log those results then you can give this info to your doctors to help her decide the best way to help you. If you go in there calmly and armed with good information - she will have a hard time ignoring it. Patience and persistence are your best friends right now. Patience to give yourself time to adjust and get into a new lifestyle and persistence in sticking to it for the long term

sarah76
Brady,

I think the thing to take from all of this is that you most likely have the beginnings of diabetes and that maybe it came on strong and suddenly. I wouldn't spend too much time looking at all the blood work and worrying about it - that isn't going to help you and you will end up driving yourself crazy. The proactive thing you can do is try to control your BG with a good diet. That way you are doing something to help yourself no matter what the doctor thinks. When you can - change doctors to get someone that will understand the issues that you are dealing with. I had a 7.7 A1c at diagnosis. The doctor did not put me on meds - he wanted me to try to control it with diet and exercise and that is working for me. I did a home A1C about a week ago and it was 5.7 - so that is a great improvement in just over 6 weeks. So matter what the tests say - you know from your own testing that you have some issue with your BG and you also are gaining the knowledge to control it. Over time you may discover that you need meds also and if you eat right and test often and log those results then you can give this info to your doctors to help her decide the best way to help you. If you go in there calmly and armed with good information - she will have a hard time ignoring it. Patience and persistence are your best friends right now. Patience to give yourself time to adjust and get into a new lifestyle and persistence in sticking to it for the long term

Hi Brady,

I found out I have type 2 last year, very scared and confused as to what to to manage good BS, so I took this crash course: I almost blindly followed the guidelines from Dr. Berstein's book Amazon.com: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars (9780316167161): Richard K. Bernstein: Books and from other books as well as the posts here. I needed to do that until I am able to figure out all my health conditions and how to manage them. Too much to learn. I eat low carb high fat diet, eat the vegetables Dr. Berstein said safe for diabetic patients to eat, no fruits, I must aslo keep in mind my other health conditions and excercise as much as I can.

My doctor was not supportive, like yours, me visiting the doctor shot my blood pressure to 150/100 and got me more worries and frustration than health advice. I am in the process of changing doctor.

I wish you all the best.

Moonpie

I manage my Diabetes by diet only, it works. You have to be careful, & realize what you are eating, but it really does work, for some of us. I was on medication for D for 7 months & hated all the side effects, so if you can learn to manage this D by diet, you are already a step up.

Brady

So, I am sorry I haven't responded to anything much and havn't been around. I went to the hospital on the 27Th with a sugar level of 521mg/dl. The doctor took a look at my recent readings on my meter. Gave me a concerning look and said, "Why are you not taking your insulin?" I responded that I didn't have any and was not prescribed anything. he says that my doctor was wrong and should have looked at my high levels in more detail then she did. I was just released yesterday and have been sleeping ever since. The doctor at the hospital prescribed me Petra? I think it is. A fast acting insulin. Here is the dosings he gave me. Morning:105<=5U before eating, 110+=10U before eating. Lunch:7U depending on sugar levels,above 140 i need to take 10U or 15U as the doctor told me. Dinner:10U if not below 120. I am still getting used to this whole insulin thing but I am feeling a lot better then I have in months. IM ALIVE!!! Currently my blood sugar is 119 but I did just eat and took my insulin for the morning, So I will see in 1 hour where it is. I just thought people would like an update on my situation.

PS: It has been a stressful couple of days. The night I got home from the hospital, My house was robbed. I now have none of my social security money that was set aside for my G/F to go to the prom, my phone bill, and my test strips. I have 3 boxes left from when a friend bought them a week ago, so I am not too concerned about the strips running out right now. By the 15th I will be recieveing some money.

linda505

Oh Brady- so sorry that you ended up in the hospital - but I am glad that finally someone looked at things and has given you medicine to help you. I am happy that you made it back here to let us know - we were worried about you. hang in there buddy.

Peggy_TX

We've been worrying about you. Was sort of hoping you'd gotten healthy and didn't need us anymore!

SO glad you got to a hospital and got the medical care you need. I still can't believe your doctor hasn't been taking your readings seriously.

And ROBBED?? Gosh. You've had a tough time. Have you looked into getting a bank account? Even a secure debit card would be better than having cash lying around.

Glad to hear you're feeling so much better though.

But don't forget that insulin is only PART of the equation. You still need to get your focus back onto making sure what you eat is keeping you healthy too!

Did they do any tests to see if you are a T1 or T1.5? You still don't seem to fit the typical T2 .....

Brady

The doctor I spoke to at the Hospital said I was type 1. He said it was an odd case because he said most of the time it hits sudden, He looked at some tests done 3 years ago for another medical condition that I have. and said that this was probably the reason it didn't hit so fast. I have a slow emune system and a slow body reaction to almost anything. Like the flu, I can catch it and not get the symptoms till a week or so later when everyone else is getting better. He also said that because I was mainly sleeping and not doing much that, that could have contributed also.

I am now adjusting to the insulin, I feel sometimes like I am hypo but i guess that is expected from prolonged high levels.

P.S:I have a prepaid CONTROL debit card coming in the mail. I normally don't have cash laying around but this was a one time skrew up. It was however in my dresser in a box underneath my diabetic supplies..Really had to look for that box....They took my NEW ipad that was bought for school, a camcorder, and odly..a 100 count box of my insulin syringes.(hospital gave me 2 boxes) My cousin got them from the hospital and put them in my room before I got released so they where there when I got home and didn't have to take more time to go out and get them as all I wanted to do was sleep. In total, they took $1200+ of my stuff.

PSS: Don't need you anymore? NEVER. You guys have helped me through a hard time and hopefully can continue to give me advice and guideance where needed. I will do my part in return if I know the subject...If not only for advice, It gives me someone to talk too. I am grateful for such a caring community of people.

Subby
The doctor I spoke to at the Hospital said I was type 1.

Very glad you're ok and have some clarity about what has been going on. Come talk to us any time about how you are going and controlling your condition - posting in the T1 forum helps to get more specific and targeted T1 advice too, as someone with T2 will find if they post in the T2 forum. Very sorry to hear of the theft. That's a real blow, but something tells me you aren't the sort of person to let it keep you down for long.

CDeuce

Been thinking about you, Brady & hoping you were ok. So sorry about all this latest stuff. The good news is - now you have an actual diagnosis and started correct treatment. So glad to "hear your voice" again!!

Brady
Been thinking about you, Brady & hoping you were ok. So sorry about all this latest stuff. The good news is - now you have an actual diagnosis and started correct treatment. So glad to "hear your voice" again!!

Thank you, Good to be back!

Moonpie

add me to those of us who missed you & were concerned. So glad to see you have a diagnosis & the proper medication, even if it meant a stay in the hospital. Bummer on the robbery, but I hope the new debit card will be more secure. Stay in touch :D

Brady

So, I am confused now. I had a meeting with the high school here about enrollment. They stated that because DHS told the school before they left the picture that my doctor stated having glucose levels above 300+ where normal and not bad at all, And that she would not diagnose me even though the levels. The school will not allow any accomidations for a D M M P or a 504 for this. What is the possibilities that I can do?

linda505

I don't know what a DMMP or 504 is but I think you should contact the doctor from the hospital and see if you can get a statement that says that you do indeed have diabetes and then take that to DHS and have them contact the school or take it to the school yourself.

Peggy_TX
So, I am confused now. I had a meeting with the high school here about enrollment. They stated that because DHS told the school before they left the picture that my doctor stated having glucose levels above 300+ where normal and not bad at all, And that she would not diagnose me even though the levels. The school will not allow any accomidations for a D M M P or a 504 for this. What is the possibilities that I can do?

A little googling, and I'm guessing this is a Diabetes Medical Management Plan? And this would be the thing that lets you bring insulin to school and use it when needed?

I also think I remember that you're stuck with the other doctor due to your insurance plan?

You need to call your doctor's office and tell them that the hospital diagnosed you as diabetic and put you on insulin. And you need them now to either get on board and support you (including your paperwork for the school), or help you work with your insurance company to get transfered to a new doctor. If they give you pushback, then you need to call your insurance company and let them know that this doctor is NOT working in your best interest and is likely to be the cause of some VERY costly complications, and get their help directly in getting you to a new physician.

I'm so sorry you keep getting the runaround with this stuff. You deserve better treatment.

Brady

Thank you, I have called my doctor already,she is still not willing to accept the diagnosis. Also I can't get a statement from the doctor because I don't rememer the docs name nor do I think they put it on my file otherwise they would have done a script for me.

I am not sure though, he said off the record I am, but according to the file I am not....so confusing!!!!

And yes, the DMMP diabetes medical management plan is so I can carry insulin and use it at school along with a 504 for staff accomidiating me checking my BS and dealing with it accordingly.

Brady
Thank you, I have called my doctor already,she is still not willing to accept the diagnosis. Also I can't get a statement from the doctor because I don't rememer the docs name nor do I think they put it on my file otherwise they would have done a script for me.

I am not sure though, he said off the record I am, but according to the file I am not....so confusing!!!!

And yes, the DMMP diabetes medical management plan is so I can carry insulin and use it at school along with a 504 for staff accomidiating me checking my BS and dealing with it accordingly.

Sorry I am way to confused on this right now. He did give me a perscription for insulin but by script I ment a peice of paper I always recieve from my insurence when new info is added on my file.

Brady

I will get back to you with a clear head later, I just realized I am running with High glucose levels, I haven't eatin yet today because there is nothing to eat here. Going shopping in an hour or so when my sister gets home...I am at 283 and I just took some insulin and ate a thing of tuna fish, hopefully this helps before I confuse everyonincluding me....

Moonpie

I'm sorry you have more legwork/paperwork to do, but I think you can do it. Tell the crazy Dr to contact the hospital where you were diagnosed. Sign a release if you need to, so he can access the paperwork. Its such a shame you have to jump through so many hoops to get your basic needs met. Good luck :-)

Peggy_TX

Your pharmacy will have the name of the doctor who prescribed the insulin. (It is likely to be printed on the sticker on the outside of the box.)

Brady

For anyone who is following this and is interested, Here is a chart and plot graph of my NON insulin compared to the current insulin usage on blood sugars. I have attached it as a picture..

Stat's from SUGARSTATS.COM

Public profile link: https://sugarstats.com/BradyShaw

Please note: This doesn't include todays readins where I spiked over 200MG/DL.

post-44687-139628780397_thumb.jpg

Cormac_Doyle

Hi Brady

I also use SugarStats - just sent you a Friend Reuest there ,,,

Brady
Hi Brady

I also use SugarStats - just sent you a Friend Reuest there ,,,

I accepted your friend request (Cormac_Doyle) Thank you. I am really struggling with this diagnosis, schooling(trying to get them to accept anything), dealing with my doctor calling me and saying that I am harming myself by taking insulin like I was told to!, and she is saying she wants me to sign an form stating that I am not following doctors guidelines and declining to listen to her, I assume so she doesn't get in trouble by not diagnosiing me. Go figure. Last night was the first night I actually did a bedtime insulin injection, The hospital said to only do it if I was above 180 at bedtime. I was at 210 last night and dosed 7U's. I woke up 9-10 hours later as I slept in, and was at 129. So it worked just didn't expect a number like that. It is so hard to count the carbs before I eat anything!!! my sister doesn't understand all the tasks envolved so I never really know what I am eating, Like she cooked soup last night, Veggies and all but I was not sure how many carbs were in it, so I estimated using my correction factor because I was a little high, I think I was at like 160~ but would have to look at my chart to be sure. but I dosed ok, didn't go low. I have glucotabs in my bag just in case. Can anyone like give me a list or a link or something to how to educate my family on what I have to do?

Thank you

Oh and on the light side of things.I was sent this song about a mother of a type 1 diabetic child, It was kinda funny to me but thats because it is exactly what we have to do...

I will repost the question about explaining what I have to do everytime I eat, on the type 1 side of the forum also.

Subby

First, your doctors actions in trying to stop you taking insulin and make you sign non compliance forms is beyond belief. I don't know what official ties you have to this doctor but I assume you are being forced to see her in some way as opposed to another doctor? If you don't have to see them, then just don't. If you do, whatever these ties are are you need to cut them as fast as possible. If you have been assigned this doctor by an authority, I hope you can talk to them.

With your food, it sounds to me that you must simply take a more proactive role in preparing your food. Your sister can still cook: but get involved in the preparation and ingredients and work out the carb count as you go using the likes of the back of food packets and calorie king online. It is slow at first but as you learn foods (and write them down in a list) it gets easier and faster. Counting carbs in the food is your responsibility not hers, and it does take couple of minutes of planning and effort when first working it out. And once you've worked out the carb count for a meal/portion, you know it for good - having repeats of that meal is an easy way to know the carb count.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.