Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrystalBlue

Introduction, pregnant (again) with type II

CrystalBlue

Hello. Not sure if this is the right place for an intro. post, but feel free to move it.

So, anyways, hi. This feels kinda funny because in many ways I feel like an old pro at the whole diabetes and pregnancy thing. I've had type 2 for over 15 years now and have gone through 2 successful pregnancies with it.

My oldest was born in 2002. I got "all the best care" at a major Boston hospital and kept my sugar in good control. Yet I still ended up giving birth via an emergency C-section in a small town hospital to a 12 pound (:eek:) baby with profound hypoglycemia. My son is okay now, despite what I swear were this hospital's best efforts to kill us both. ;)

My middle son was adopted, so no pregnancy issues there. Phew...

My youngest was born in 2008. Again, I had all my prenatal care in Boston and planned on giving birth there; possibly by VBAC, which is not allowed at the small, local hospital. And again the baby had other plans! This time, I had PROM at 35 weeks with Cx starting 2 minutes apart. Of course while being 2 hours away from the city. But this time, I knew better. I told the doctor at the local-yokel hospital that "Yes, I would actually rather risk giving birth in an ambulance (with no pain relief) on the way into the city than have the baby here." In all fairness, it wasn't just my distrust in that specific hospital that made up my mind. I knew that my baby, being less than 36 weeks, would be transferred to a bigger hospital after birth anyways, and I would be stuck down here recovering from a C-section. Nope. Wasn't gonna happen. Thankfully, we made it to the city and my son was born there with no major issues. Even at 35 weeks, he was 6lbs. 14oz, and healthy.

So yeah, this isn't my first time at the rodeo. Yet it feels so different this time. My blood sugar is much more difficult to control. It hit 430 the other day, which is the highest I've ever been in 15 years of being diabetic. I know that's not unheard of for some people, but sure was for me. I've had tons of nutrition counseling and diabetes education, and I'm also a nurse myself, but I'm still finding myself at a loss here. I can't seem to find anything to eat that doesn't blow my sugar up or make me puke. I keep having to give myself "coverage" doses of Humalog throughout the day, and I have to test every few hours. The other night I tested because I thought I felt low - that was the time it was 430!

Maybe it's because I'm older now. I mean, I am inching towards that magic age of 35 when pregnancy is suddenly considered "high risk". Or maybe I'm just still reeling from the discovery that I'm pregnant again. Because, no, this 4'th child was definitely not in the plans - but I love him/her already! I keep reading these scary warnings about high blood sugar and early miscarriage and it's just freaking me out way more than it did the first 2 times around. My first 2 pregnancies sound dramatic, but they actually went pretty well for me, and the boys are absolutely fine! So why am I having so much trouble now?

So, there you have it, the story of why I'm here. Just looking for some company who're in the same boat. And now that I'm here, I can see from some of the other posts, there may be some people that I could actually be helpful to, given my experiences. I actually do know a good bit about diabetes, and diabetes and pregnancy, I'm just a little overwhelmed right now. Make any sense? I look forward to any responses, even just to let me know I'm not alone. Thanks so much just for reading this whole long post!

diaboki

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm currently PG too, only I'm older than you. My BS levels are good, but have definitely required more maintenance during pregnancy. What are you taking to control yours? What is your A1C? I'm pretty sure you can get this under tighter control, which will help you a lot.

CrystalBlue

Hi. Thanks, and congrats to you too! My last A1c was about 7.5, but that was a couple months ago. I was taking Lantus at night and Humalog, 4 units before each meal. But since I suspected I was pregnant, I've upped the Lantus to 14 and have been using the Humalog on a sliding scale, 2 units for every 50 over 150.

Once I get in to see the high risk OB's, I'm sure I'll feel better. It's just that when I called my regular OB/GYN yesterday to get an apt. and a referral, the nurse was like, "Why are you even testing already?" It is really early on, my period isn't even due until tomorrow, but I explained to her that I'm diabetic and taking meds. you shouldn't be on while pregnant. She told me to wait until the 20'th "at least" and test at home before even making an apt. Well, being the typical me, I said "heck with that!" and took an early results test, which was +.

I knew I was for sure by that point anyways, because the nausea was so familiar and unmistakable and it was really the only thing that could explain my sugar going haywire. I guess I'll call them back on Monday and be a little more insistent. It's funny, I never knew that not everyone's sugar reacts so strongly to the pg hormones until I read some of the other posts in this forum. Pregnancy has always sent my insulin needs sky-rocketing, and quite soon after conception to boot. I just assumed that happened to everyone.

CrystalBlue

So I feel a little better now. Monday morning I called my local OB/GYN for a referral to the Maternal Fetal Medicine practice I used with 2 of my other sons. They told me that I didn't even need a referral, just to call them and set up an appointment. When I did call them, they wanted me in right away to get my BG stabilized, so I actually went up there yesterday. I met with the endocrinologist and we worked out a new plan. They did some labs too, A1C and the like. I have an appointment in May with the OB, the endo. again and to have an ultrasound.

She's got me on a much stricter insulin regimen than I'm used to, but I expected that. I'm having a hard time adjusting to it. When my BS hits 110, my body reacts like it's about 50, but that will pass quickly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.