Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaurenJ

Question about Low Carb diet affecting blood glucose.

LaurenJ

Hi Everyone! I have an event coming up within the next couple of weeks and wanted to lose some weight so I decided for the 1st time to try a strict low carb diet (less than 30 cb per day). I've been on it for 12 days now and have lost a little weight already. I've had type 1 diabetes for 6 years now and currently use an Omni pod insulin pump as well as a CGM. Because I have to fill each pod with a minimum of 100 units, I'm wasting ALOT of insulin once the pod has expired and I have to remove it. Ive kept my basal rate the same throughout out dieting (which is kept fairly high around the clock) but bolusing has pretty much become non existent. Even if I take 1 unit before eating my blood sugar with actually plummet into a low after that meal. Spiking has vanished. I've been feeling much more energetic which I'm assuming is because of the excellent blood sugars around the clock. I just feel so odd not bolusing before meals! Does anyone know if this is normal for a type 1 diabetic??

Hannah.sniderm

Hi, I have the same question! Apart from I haven't tried being on a low carb diet yet, and is something I want to do, however I can't understand how my blood sugar will stay low enough throughout the day without injecting with food, and how i would also avoid Hypos without eating carbs! This diet confuses me! Plus I'm not on a pump.

DeusXM

It's completely normal. You don't bolus to cover food; you bolus to prevent rises in blood sugar. If you don't eat anything that raises your blood sugar, you don't need to bolus - because you've got no blood sugar rise to cover!

As long as you still have your basal insulin (which covers your basic metabolic requirements), as long as your blood sugar doesn't increase, you don't need your bolus insulin.

As for avoiding hypos without eating carbs....you should NEVER need to eat carbs to avoid hypos. If you are taking the correct amount of insulin, you won't have hypos. You should never eat to satisfy your insulin intake, your insulin intake should match your food intake. The #1 reason people with T1 gain weight is because they take too much insulin and end up eating more than they need to, to prevent their blood sugar dropping.

jenb

I'm assuming you fill a reservoir in the Omnipod, yes? If so, could you could use syringes to remove any remaining insulin from an expired 'pod and transfer it to the new one?

Jen

Subby
Spiking has vanished. I've been feeling much more energetic which I'm assuming is because of the excellent blood sugars around the clock. I just feel so odd not bolusing before meals! Does anyone know if this is normal for a type 1 diabetic??

Not only normal, in that as Deus points out this follows the basic rules of physiology of the human body, but also your results sound great! It seems a low carb diet suits you very well, at least for the time being. Be sure to get your regular blood tests for liver, kidney, blood functions, cholesterol, to see how other things fare if you stick to this diet in the shorter long term.

In terms of insulin use, the only way I can see getting around the omni limitation is as Jen suggests. It will mean you are mixing two slightly different batches of insulin, and each time you are mixing more and more batches, which in a longer run may be a concern for potency and there may be a slight contamination/handling issue as well. So I would recommend you only do this a couple of times in a row, then start the process again with a completely fresh 100u of insulin.

Depending on your experience with the pump and your basal needs (if they are tricky and need the pump or not: people vary wildly) with such minor bolusing needs you may do just as well reverting to mdi. Unless you absolutely love pumping, and of course some people do, it's a possibility.

LaurenJ

Thank you, appreciate the good advice. I have never taken insulin back out from the pod because I worried about contamination but would like to try that. I am talking to my doctor about getting me back on Lantus & Novolog pens temporarily. I have an event coming up where I don't want to wear my pump which also means that I will be able to see how I do on pens instead of the pump on this diet. May just work out better for me if I continue eating this way. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.