Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pcramer1

Itchy groin

pcramer1

Does anyone else suffer from itchy groin and itchy arm pit. I cant get rid of it. I use a steroid cream to keep it under control. Im diabetic 2, take no meds, bs is 90-120, use diet control. Will I always have this itch problem? Its been going on about 1-2 years, Ive been diabetic for 4 years. Someone suggested eating some form of silver but Im not to keen on that idea. Someone else suggested that groin itch is PART of diabetes 2. Once again Im very careful what I eat,low carb,veggies, almost no sugars-(theres sugar in almost everything). Thanks for any help, you can call me Paul..

Gladtobehere

Welcome Paul.

I don't think your problem is related to Diabetes. Particularly if you are in control of your BG. (Uncontrolled diabetes may manifest with infections that A: won't go away and B: may be itchy depending on the location )

I suggest you see your doctor / dermatologist for a real diagnosis.

Bountyman

Sounds like a simple bacteria growth from your sweat. Something in your diet that the bacteria love.

Try this. Buy a couple bottles of 91% alcohol and a 4 oz. container of Gold Bond Body Powder. Comes in a yellow container. Take a washcloth (use only this particular washcloth from now on) and soak it with water...then wring it dry. Pour about an ounce of alcohol on the washcloth and then wring that out. Now wipe under your pits and groin with a little vigor. Apply the Gold Bond powder. The powder has it's own unique smell...you'll have to tolerate that for now. To start...do this twice a day. The itch should stop within that day. If it doesn't...send me what's left over...I get an itch now and then myself. :)

Mouserola

Months ago I had a raging nasty rash; doctor said it was a fungus and treated it as such. It never really went away. Then about a month and a half ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2, and started on Metformin and Atorvastatin. The vaginal fungus totally went away. Exploring information on Diabetes Type 2, I found a reference to a connection between diabetes and vaginal fungus. I spoke to a nurse/friend of mine and she said right away "Oh, yes, and it's because of the glucose in the urine". You seem to be a guy, but maybe this happens to guys, too, in some form. Hey, I'm new at this, I don't know. But I can tell you I sure wish my doctor would have checked me for diabetes back when that fungus started months ago.

Gladtobehere
Months ago I had a raging nasty rash; doctor said it was a fungus and treated it as such. It never really went away. Then about a month and a half ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2, and started on Metformin and Atorvastatin. The vaginal fungus totally went away. Exploring information on Diabetes Type 2, I found a reference to a connection between diabetes and vaginal fungus. I spoke to a nurse/friend of mine and she said right away "Oh, yes, and it's because of the glucose in the urine". You seem to be a guy, but maybe this happens to guys, too, in some form. Hey, I'm new at this, I don't know. But I can tell you I sure wish my doctor would have checked me for diabetes back when that fungus started months ago.
Like I said......Uncontrolled diabetes may manifest with infections that A: won't go away and B: may be itchy depending on the location. It's not the sugar in the urine it is that your body has restricted defenses when the BG is running too high in the blood. Your cells can not get the energy they need to fight off topical or internal infections. Your nurse needs to upgrade her medical knowledge!

Mouserola

I'm obviously new at this, and I've never used one of these forum discussion type websites either. I AM used to getting conflicting information on other matters before, and it is hard to sort it all out! With a condition like diabetes apparently all sorts of things can go haywire...

Hooterville
Like I said......Uncontrolled diabetes may manifest with infections that A: won't go away and B: may be itchy depending on the location. It's not the sugar in the urine it is that your body has restricted defenses when the BG is running too high in the blood. Your cells can not get the energy they need to fight off topical or internal infections. Your nurse needs to upgrade her medical knowledge!

I'm no expert but yeast does like sugar. If one's sugar is out of whack, one's PH balance may be out of whack. Yeast Infection (Vaginal) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Vaginal Yeast Infection Causes on eMedicineHealth

Diabetes may also raise the sugar content (and pH) of the vagina, which increases the risk for developing a vaginal yeast infection.

Gladtobehere
Diabetes may also raise the sugar content (and pH) of the vagina, which increases the risk for developing a vaginal yeast infection.
I'm no expert either, but the point is, that a major symptom of diabetes is/are infections that won't go away, or don't respond to normal treatment. In women that could be a vaginal infection. In men it could be sore on the penis. Or a rash in the groin or pits, gums that won't heal, etc. etc. etc.

The OP should see a doctor if standard treatments don't work.

Hooterville
I'm no expert either, but the point is, that a major symptom of diabetes is/are infections that won't go away, or don't respond to normal treatment. In women that could be a vaginal infection. In men it could be sore on the penis. Or a rash in the groin or pits, gums that won't heal, etc. etc. etc.

The OP should see a doctor if standard treatments don't work.

Naturally the OP should see a doctor but sugar can exacerbate yeast which was my point. :)

Postal Phil
Sounds like a simple bacteria growth from your sweat. Something in your diet that the bacteria love.

Try this. Buy a couple bottles of 91% alcohol and a 4 oz. container of Gold Bond Body Powder. Comes in a yellow container. Take a washcloth (use only this particular washcloth from now on) and soak it with water...then wring it dry. Pour about an ounce of alcohol on the washcloth and then wring that out. Now wipe under your pits and groin with a little vigor. Apply the Gold Bond powder. The powder has it's own unique smell...you'll have to tolerate that for now. To start...do this twice a day. The itch should stop within that day. If it doesn't...send me what's left over...I get an itch now and then myself. :)

The powder will also burn a little bit but it will help stop the itch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.