Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glucagal

Diabetes and Health Insurance

Glucagal

Hi! I do not know if this is the right group for what I am searching for. If not, would someone please advise me where I should be posting? Thanks! I am the mother of a daughter who has had type 1 diabetes since about 8 years old. She is now 41 years old. She has been a very brittle diabetic and unfortunately trying to work fulltime for over 25 years has played havoc on her diabetes control and she has developed many of the complications to her body. She lost her last job a year ago because her Neuropathy got so painful it was interfering with her ability to handle shift work and customers. The medications she has to take which some on here probably know about are too powerful to control her pain and allow her to work. For certain reasons, she was not allowed to get unemployment benefits so I put her on COBRA and we have been supporting her. What I need to know from anyone who knows is, when her COBRA runs out this year, do you know of any healthcare plans available to diabetics or people with chronic diseases which I can put her on?? I have written letters to Pres. Obama and others complaining about the fact that the poor have Medicaid, seniors have Medicare, but people in between who are not old enough for Medicare or poor enough for Medicaid have no place to turn but expensive private coverage. What we need is a system where these people can "buy into" Medicare.

She cannot return to work fulltime anymore because we know now how costly this has been to her life with diabetes. Since she has been home this past year, she has been able to monitor her blood glucose daily and not have to over-compensate with too much sugar when she gets dizzy. Her bgs have been much better this past year. Does anyone know of an group I can contact to find out how to get her the healthplan she needs since she will not be able to work fulltime and get coverage at work? What do other diabetics do when they are in her position but still need medical coverage? Is Medicaid her only option? So much has been taken from her with all of her diabetic complications including Retinopathy that we don't want to have to put her on Medicaid. She needs to feel her diabetes hasn't taken everything away from her life and she can still survive if she can just get affordable health insurance. Thanks to anyone who can give me any advice or information on this problem.

sarah76

Hi Glucagal,

Welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear you daugher has complications.

I am from Canada and don't know about T1 and health insurance in the US but I hope someone on the forum will have answers for you soon.

I wish you and your daughter all the best.

Glucagal

Jen: Thanks for the reply. The PCIP has been my biggest fight with the government. I have sent them so many letters about this. One has to be without insurance coverage for at least 6 months before you can apply. No one I know, including my DD, who has a chronic medical condition can go 6 months without health insurance. I asked my senators why would they put such a clause in the coverage and finally was given an answer. It seems they were trying to avoid the health insurance companies from being flooded with requests! It seems everything is always about helping the insurance companies (they have such great lobbies) and the sick who are in need get thrown to the side. I am in another medical group where others need health insurance desperately but also can't use the PCIP. They need insurance "now". Also as you probably know, if one has a pre-existing disease and goes without coverage for a certain period, they can be refused by any other companies. It is like a catch-22 for the sick and if the Supreme Court votes against the Affordable Care Act, we can't count on them being protected for pre-existing in 2014. I just thought there might be something I am overlooking in the healthcare issue so hope someone on here knows of a way out for my DD and others. Thanks!

Penny

Don't know for sure if this relates, but I have a 45 year old daughter who has been living with us for 8 years. She had worked since she was 15, so paid into the system. She was married for 12 years, her husband dumped her when her illness became too hard to deal with, he was ordered to pay spousal support so she could afford the Cobra payments, but has not done so. So she had no choice but to move in with us and apply for Disability....it took two applications and a lawyer and probably 2 years. In the meantime we just had to pay for all her expensive medications. Then she got Medicaid. We hated that we had to do this too, but my husband was retired and there just was no other way considering all our medical expenses. Medicaid has different levels of help, and I do understand about not wanting your child to have to deal with it, it about killed my husband's pride to let it happen. Sometimes you just do what you have to do. We just keep saying we need to make sure she has some way to survive if we can no longer be there for her.

Glucagal

Penny: Thanks for sharing. It seems like you folks are in the same boat as we are. It's no longer a matter of pride but just trying to protect her if we are no longer here. She has applied for disability but had to appeal and does have a lawyer. She is in the "waiting" stage now. It seems it is very difficult to win a case with diabetes. If she gets on disability our fears will be lightened because she at least will have "some" income and Medicare in two years. My fear is if she loses, I have to make sure what will happen to her next. Like you said, parents can only do so much. I am so happy for you that your daughter was able to get on SSDI. I just hope so much that ours will be able to also. In the meantime, I am searching for what to do if she doesn't. Thanks again for sharing.

Glucagal

I heard on the news yesterday that the government was disappointed that they were expecting millions of people to sign up for their "Joke" called PCIP and only thousands have signed. Now they are concerned there won't be enough signed up to make the program work! What a joke! I wrote them so many letters telling them that "six month without insurance clause" was going to cause this very problem and asked them to delete it so more could buy into the health program. But it seems they choose to ignore the rantings of one voter. So now we have to see what the new administration is going to do about healthcare for those with pre-existing diseases and if they can even keep the PCIP now. I keep writing the Republicans for answers but their "silence" is deafening! What a misery this next election will be. I am truly disgusted with both parties and fear what we have to face if the Supreme Court truly trashes all of The Affordable Care Act.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.