Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

TeddySue

Are you on a diet to lose weight?

Jan74br

You can do it, sweetstar.

Ok so I was dying yesterday. I did 10m less than usual of cardio. But I still got 1h5m in.

daniela1219

Welcome, Jane! :)

Well, I had a good workout last night even thought I went low during, and after exercising. Did aome cardio and weight lifting. Today is zumba day!!! :)

mom24grlz

Weighed myself in today and lost 5lbs. Now that may sound like a lot to lose in 1 week. However last week i somehow gained 4lbs! So really i guess i only lost 1lb. Mom thinks maybe i was retaining water. Not sure why i would be, not that time of the month.

jbmacomber

Welcome Jane!

Well yesterday started great, then went downhill. Had hamburger for dinner and had the bun and chips and pears. Spiked to 165. Since I blew it had low carb icecream with caramel, and spiked to 203. Learned my lesson, felt bad and slept poorly all night and stomach is rebelling, I guess from too much bad food. Back down to 109 this morning. Thanks for everyone on here, was going to skip, but came and read and am re-inspired. My dietician did one of those tests, my BMR is 2400.(I am 5'9) So according to her I can eat 1700 calories a day and lose 1 lb every 5 days but it isn't happening, I hardly ever eat over 1500. She also wants 800 calories a day from carbs, that aint happening either. So I know I have to go lower in all ways. Going swimming today, our pass is good till July 11.

Son is going on Boy Scout whitewater rafting this weekend. Love him but looking forward to a break, lol!! I am 53 by the way, thought I'd share age as well:), and homeschool, so he is with me all the time, and our house is where all the friends come and hang out everyday. Some even call us Mom and Dad:D

Congrats on going out and riding your bike ddphotography, your walking teddysue, and your weight loss sweetstar. You can get your numbers under contol, hang in there!

ddphotography

Are you sure you are truly low-carbing? I was so surprised at how many carbs are in "diet" food; what you think may be good for you, may turn out to be full of carbs. Read every label to get the info into your brain. I'm sure you are.

I am so pleased to hear of your bike riding; that would kill my crotch (sorry) and I wouldn't last 5 minutes. We all have what suits us best, we just need to do it. Good for YOU! And I'm with you on not wanting people to look at me. I'm a recluse, only doing what I have to do. Thank you for the encouragement to get out here.

TS

If a food has 10 carb and 7 fiber then I count it as having 3 total carb count. That's how I count my carbs. I will clarify on Tuesday how the Dr. wants me to count carbs. Yesterday I had a total of 78 carbs. I haven't had that many carbs in a very long time and I felt a bit tired all day. Waiting on my glucometer to arrive so I can see how foods are affecting me.

How do you measure carbs?

I have a fat booty seat on my bike...you would love it!! Everyone that sees it, wants it! They always complain about their seat and mine is so comfy cause it is not pointy...it's wide and cushy...just like me!! :o)

I have heard about a ketogenic diet. Think I will look into it. I just don't want my body holding onto the fat...I have enough already...LOL

jbmacomber
If a food has 10 carb and 7 fiber then I count it as having 3 total carb count. That's how I count my carbs. I will clarify on Tuesday how the Dr. wants me to count carbs. Yesterday I had a total of 78 carbs. I haven't had that many carbs in a very long time and I felt a bit tired all day. Waiting on my glucometer to arrive so I can see how foods are affecting me.

I have a fat booty seat on my bike...you would love it!! Everyone that sees it, wants it! They always complain about their seat and mine is so comfy cause it is not pointy...it's wide and cushy...just like me!! :o)

I have heard about a ketogenic diet. Think I will look into it. I just don't want my body holding onto the fat...I have enough already...LOL

Love that idea!!!

Plus made me smile, thanks!

ddphotography

Great info...thanks!!

You've lost 54 pounds in 2 months? Oh my, that is encouraging!!

There are lots of things you can eat to keep your fiber intake up but keep your sugars from spiking. I've become a big fan of avacados since my diagnosis. They have about 20g of carb but 18-19 of that is fiber. Others have success with flax seed.

There is no reason you can not jump start your weight loss and get your sugar under control, but you need two key pieces of information.

The first thing you need to know is how much energy (calories) your body needs just to operate, your basal metabolic rate. Everyone is different, but there are good rule of thumb ways to estimate what that number is. This web site will help you out. You just need your age/sex/height/weight BMR Calculator

The second thing you need to know is how many calories you are eating per day. You can't guess, you can't estimate, you need to know. The only way to accurately track your calories is to read nutrition labels, measure your food, and write it all down. There are lots of web sites out there that can help you log your food. Many of them are free.

The rest is easy, just eat 200-500 calories a day less then your basal metabolic rate. Do this *every day*. You'll see results. You body can not beat the laws of physics. If your body uses more energy then it takes in then it will be forced to use its own energy stores (fat).

ddphotography
Love that idea!!!

Plus made me smile, thanks!

Yay! I learned it in a book by Diane Kress called The Metabolism Miracle.

TeddySue
Teddy- I test quite often. I have been on the boards awhile and got inspiration from everyone here.

I was inspired to go low carb. I cut out fruit to begin with, and gradually added it in. When I was

taking the glimiperide it was no problem. My A1C in May was 5.4. So, I know getting off the med

has everything to do with my BG's rising.

Getting rid of the wheat may be a key, down a pound in two days.

I also need to increase my activity. I tend to be very sedentary.

It's hard to change at this age, but I am determined to stay on track.

I am SO glad to hear of your weight loss! You seem to know a lot of necessary things to keep going! I agree, with us being in our 60s we need to push ourselves. I would gladly sit on the couch all day and eat, but look where it got me... UGH! I have the treadmill in the living room and spoil myself by watching tv; the time goes very quickly. I also can only walk slow; building up to a faster pace, at my age, takes a lot of patience on my part. As long as I'm moving, I count it as exercise.

I've just eliminated fruit this week and am used to it now; at first, I felt like I needed that treat every day, but this is not (for me) a time to treat myself.

Why did your doctor take you off the Glimiperide? Being off Glipizide, for me, has made me work harder for the lower numbers. I do hope you can overcome the highs with exercise and diet. Let us all know how that goes for you.

Thank you for posting and being here. It helps us all.

TS

TeddySue
Weighed myself in today and lost 5lbs. Now that may sound like a lot to lose in 1 week. However last week i somehow gained 4lbs! So really i guess i only lost 1lb. Mom thinks maybe i was retaining water. Not sure why i would be, not that time of the month.

That is SO encouraging, especially since I had gained 3 pounds for NO reason... no cheating, either. Bummer... and I'm to old to have a time of the month, so there is NO reason except that my body betrayed me. BUT, I am taking back control because today it shows I've lost half of that already. YES! I'm happy when I'm in control. It helps me physically as well as mentally, and at my age I need to keep on top of the mental aspect.

GOOD FOR YOU, keeping control even through the small bumps.

TS

TeddySue
Welcome Jane!

Well yesterday started great, then went downhill. Had hamburger for dinner and had the bun and chips and pears. Spiked to 165. Since I blew it had low carb icecream with caramel, and spiked to 203. Learned my lesson, felt bad and slept poorly all night and stomach is rebelling, I guess from too much bad food. Back down to 109 this morning. Thanks for everyone on here, was going to skip, but came and read and am re-inspired. My dietician did one of those tests, my BMR is 2400.(I am 5'9) So according to her I can eat 1700 calories a day and lose 1 lb every 5 days but it isn't happening, I hardly ever eat over 1500. She also wants 800 calories a day from carbs, that aint happening either. So I know I have to go lower in all ways. Going swimming today, our pass is good till July 11.

Son is going on Boy Scout whitewater rafting this weekend. Love him but looking forward to a break, lol!! I am 53 by the way, thought I'd share age as well:), and homeschool, so he is with me all the time, and our house is where all the friends come and hang out everyday. Some even call us Mom and Dad:D

Congrats on going out and riding your bike ddphotography, your walking teddysue, and your weight loss sweetstar. You can get your numbers under contol, hang in there!

OH MY GOODNESS! I home schooled my kids for 11 years and then (oldest four) did junior and senior years at the public school! It's a small world. Thanks for sharing that. My 13 year old worked on the farm (friends) yesterday and then went fishing with the pastor and it was a RELIEF for him to be doing something other than bugging the rest of us with his sour disposition. I hate puberty! LOL

You know, I believe that when we sometimes gain weight, or when we eat something we shouldn't just because we want to, and our BG spikes, I think it's our bodies putting us on a guilt trip in order to shock us back into the reality of diabetes. Anyway, it sure gets my attention!

I'm still trying to get my computer to go to the BMR place so I can see where I fit in. I'm already at 1000 calories.

Thank you so much for posting. We need everyone here!

TS

TeddySue

I do envy you that big-booty seat! Did you buy it separately or did it come with the bigger seat?

Right now I count carbs by using the labels and what it says are carbohydrates. I'll be anxious to here how you end up doing yours after seeing the doctor. Sometimes doctors know less than we do. So I guess if I did it your way and deducted the fiber then I would be eating more. I think I'm lazy. UGH!

I've been reading about the Ketogenic diet, too; need to read some more today. Let me know what you think.

Thank you for posting!

TS

davepc
Great info...thanks!!

You've lost 54 pounds in 2 months? Oh my, that is encouraging!!

I've been very aggressive with tracking my food and with eating fewer calories then I need. My basal metabolic rate is about 2100 calories per day but when I started it was closer to 2800, yet I've been eating between 1400-1800 calories per day. I've had good results so far but I've had a lot to lose. As I get closer to my goal weight (180lbs) the rate of loss is going to slow down.

I've also been aggressive with exercise. I walk 3-6 miles a day, every day. I plop my son in his stroller and off we go. Usually takes an hour to an hour and a half. So on top of eating 300 or so calories less then my body needs to function I'm also actively burning off 500-800 per day via exercise.

I've already had neuropathy symptoms in my hands and feet. They've all but gone away since I've gotten my sugar under control, but whenever I feel like skipping my walk or slacking on watching my food I remind myself that I'd rather have working hands and feet and eyes then I'd rather not get off the couch or eat an extra portion of dinner.

TeddySue
There are lots of things you can eat to keep your fiber intake up but keep your sugars from spiking. I've become a big fan of avacados since my diagnosis. They have about 20g of carb but 18-19 of that is fiber. Others have success with flax seed.

There is no reason you can not jump start your weight loss and get your sugar under control, but you need two key pieces of information.

The first thing you need to know is how much energy (calories) your body needs just to operate, your basal metabolic rate. Everyone is different, but there are good rule of thumb ways to estimate what that number is. This web site will help you out. You just need your age/sex/height/weight BMR Calculator

The second thing you need to know is how many calories you are eating per day. You can't guess, you can't estimate, you need to know. The only way to accurately track your calories is to read nutrition labels, measure your food, and write it all down. There are lots of web sites out there that can help you log your food. Many of them are free.

The rest is easy, just eat 200-500 calories a day less then your basal metabolic rate. Do this *every day*. You'll see results. You body can not beat the laws of physics. If your body uses more energy then it takes in then it will be forced to use its own energy stores (fat).

I have the flaxseed but haven't used it because I don't know how. What do you use yours in that keeps the pooper moving? I've been through a week of constipation but finally am having a "breakthrough." Being old sucks at time. I'll be interested in hearing how you use flaxseed.

I just can't seem to do the BMR; can't find a site that makes sense to me (OLE woman).Can you help me?

Thanks for all the information. Knowledge is powerful...just wish as I get older (62) I didn't get so dense.

TS

TeddySue
I've been very aggressive with tracking my food and with eating fewer calories then I need. My basal metabolic rate is about 2100 calories per day but when I started it was closer to 2800, yet I've been eating between 1400-1800 calories per day. I've had good results so far but I've had a lot to lose. As I get closer to my goal weight (180lbs) the rate of loss is going to slow down.

I've also been aggressive with exercise. I walk 3-6 miles a day, every day. I plop my son in his stroller and off we go. Usually takes an hour to an hour and a half. So on top of eating 300 or so calories less then my body needs to function I'm also actively burning off 500-800 per day via exercise.

I've already had neuropathy symptoms in my hands and feet. They've all but gone away since I've gotten my sugar under control, but whenever I feel like skipping my walk or slacking on watching my food I remind myself that I'd rather have working hands and feet and eyes then I'd rather not get off the couch or eat an extra portion of dinner.

I find this VERY energizing! I do need to remind myself each and every day why I'm doing this; it's not punishment. I'm so proud to hear how serious you all are about getting control; not just food control, but mind control. We are our own best motivators in that we can keep the record on replay in order to hear, over and over just WHY we have to do what we are doing. I have 2 young children left to raise (out of 7) and they need me to be around. They are my reason for getting up off the couch and walking on that treadmill; but then, it's for me, too.

Thank you for the encouraging post!

TS is getting off this chair and heading for the treadmill.

Hooterville

Teddy, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. I don't come to this section of the forum often. I'm not sure why. Here's my weight loss story.

6 or 7 years ago I started walking with a friend. We were pretty consistent and would try for 5 days per week and would actually get it done 4 days, sometimes 5. Now and then an injury or life would get in the way and there would be a month or two break but we always got back to it. I also tried to just cut my portions and steer clear of fast food. I lost about 10 to 12lbs per year doing this. I lost about 50 lbs very slowly over years. Somewhere along the line I also got T2 but was not diagnosed until October 2010. One year ago, 6 months in to my diagnosis, I got sick and that's a long story but I lost another 30 lbs as a result of trying to control my D and being sick. I've only been really lowish carbing (60ish grams per day) since January of this year.

Since February I've been stuck at 85 lbs lost. All these months bouncing between 80 and 85 lbs lost. losing, regaining and relosing the same 5 and sometimes 10 lbs over and over again. In the past week and a half I've gotten to 4 lbs below that plateau and sit at 89 lbs lost! I'm so excited to get to the 90 lbs lost point and then 100. I'm finding (and hope I hold on to) new motivation from breaking this plateau. I see endo on Monday and I'm just focusing on not letting this progress slip before I step on that scale. He's a great cheerleader and, while I do this for me, I am excited about seeing him excited. Hey, I'll use whatever it takes for motivation.

Meanwhile, my walking ramped up to very serious. My main walking friend dropped out. Others who had joined in dropped out. For about the last year I've been on my own which is how I prefer it actually. No waiting on late friends. No friends cancelling, giving me an excuse not to go myself. I began walking 7 days per week. For a while it was two times per day. Then a knee injury set me back and I was down to 1 time per day. Since the end of April I've been back to twice per day 7 days per week for around 30 miles total per week. For the past 4 days or so I've been sidelined for a dumb blister on my baby toe. Been forced to not walk as walking keeps rubbing it raw even with a band aid. I can't wear shoes, only flip flops. Even through this no walking period, I've been losing weight, breaking the plateau. Go figure. Sometimes there is just no figuring things out.

Thanks for the thread, Teddy. I'll check back.

ddphotography

Welcome to the thread Hooterville and congrats on breaking the plateau! Sometimes our bodies just need a change of pace :o)

Davepc, I find you to be very motivational and I really appreciate that!! Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

I can't walk alot. I have peripheral neuropathy and my feet hate me....my toes go numb and my feet turn 2000 degrees of burning madness hot like coals. It is miserable. I just started a medication for it. Should see results in 3 weeks :o)

I do ride my bike though and I really enjoy it. I don't have anyone to ride with or workout with so sometimes it is very unmotivational...but I have to say that reading testimonies like Hotterville's and others really does help. I am the only one in charge of my health. No one else is going to go blind or have CHF if I don't workout...if it's to be...it's up to me!

TeddySue
Teddy, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. I don't come to this section of the forum often. I'm not sure why. Here's my weight loss story.

6 or 7 years ago I started walking with a friend. We were pretty consistent and would try for 5 days per week and would actually get it done 4 days, sometimes 5. Now and then an injury or life would get in the way and there would be a month or two break but we always got back to it. I also tried to just cut my portions and steer clear of fast food. I lost about 10 to 12lbs per year doing this. I lost about 50 lbs very slowly over years. Somewhere along the line I also got T2 but was not diagnosed until October 2010. One year ago, 6 months in to my diagnosis, I got sick and that's a long story but I lost another 30 lbs as a result of trying to control my D and being sick. I've only been really lowish carbing (60ish grams per day) since January of this year.

Since February I've been stuck at 85 lbs lost. All these months bouncing between 80 and 85 lbs lost. losing, regaining and relosing the same 5 and sometimes 10 lbs over and over again. In the past week and a half I've gotten to 4 lbs below that plateau and sit at 89 lbs lost! I'm so excited to get to the 90 lbs lost point and then 100. I'm finding (and hope I hold on to) new motivation from breaking this plateau. I see endo on Monday and I'm just focusing on not letting this progress slip before I step on that scale. He's a great cheerleader and, while I do this for me, I am excited about seeing him excited. Hey, I'll use whatever it takes for motivation.

Meanwhile, my walking ramped up to very serious. My main walking friend dropped out. Others who had joined in dropped out. For about the last year I've been on my own which is how I prefer it actually. No waiting on late friends. No friends cancelling, giving me an excuse not to go myself. I began walking 7 days per week. For a while it was two times per day. Then a knee injury set me back and I was down to 1 time per day. Since the end of April I've been back to twice per day 7 days per week for around 30 miles total per week. For the past 4 days or so I've been sidelined for a dumb blister on my baby toe. Been forced to not walk as walking keeps rubbing it raw even with a band aid. I can't wear shoes, only flip flops. Even through this no walking period, I've been losing weight, breaking the plateau. Go figure. Sometimes there is just no figuring things out.

Thanks for the thread, Teddy. I'll check back.

I am the one who is thankful for this thread! It's like having like-minded friends who encourage me to keep on... So glad you found us but so sorry for your toe. I know how this can side-track us, but you are still losing weight and that IS comforting.

I walked one hour on my treadmill this morning and it felt so good to know I can do this; not too long ago I couldn't even walk, just hobbled around in pain and depression. I believe exercise does more than ANY medicine could for keep the mind clear of depression.

You've lost a huge amount of weight! And keeping it off is another journey on its own. I've never been good about keeping it off and this time I'm determined to not give up, just transcend from losing to maintaining. I never took diabetes seriously until about 7 months ago. The renewing of my mind has been a spiritual adventure that I'm taking very seriously.

So glad you are here!

TS

TeddySue
Welcome to the thread Hooterville and congrats on breaking the plateau! Sometimes our bodies just need a change of pace :o)

Davepc, I find you to be very motivational and I really appreciate that!! Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

I can't walk alot. I have peripheral neuropathy and my feet hate me....my toes go numb and my feet turn 2000 degrees of burning madness hot like coals. It is miserable. I just started a medication for it. Should see results in 3 weeks :o)

I do ride my bike though and I really enjoy it. I don't have anyone to ride with or workout with so sometimes it is very unmotivational...but I have to say that reading testimonies like Hotterville's and others really does help. I am the only one in charge of my health. No one else is going to go blind or have CHF if I don't workout...if it's to be...it's up to me!

A lot of people are talking about riding bikes because of their feet and I find that a huge step in the right direction. If we are going to WIN, we must be in charge. I like your words: "if it's to be...it's up to me! That can work in every part of our lives.

I'm very sorry to hear that your feet are so painful. What kind of doctor prescribed the medicine you are starting on? Do you have a regular foot doctor? I sat in on a seminar in which a foot doctor showed us the most hideous pictures of abscessed feet and that was enough for me to check my feet daily and put lotion on them. What advice can you give all of us on taking care of our feet? THANKS!

TS

TeddySue

NOW I GET IT! I started adding spinach to my diet today and of course I was reading the label. The TOTAL carbs are 4 per half cup, so I subtracted the 2 grams of fiber per half cup and got the REAL carbs! I'm so proud of myself for understanding this. Thank you for posting. I think I've been eating less carbs than I thought, which isn't all bad. LOL What have you learned about the ketogenic diet and are you going to give it a try? I keep eliminating things from my diet each day in hopes of finding the best diet.

TS

jbmacomber

Welcome Hooterville, what a great inspiration! Congrats as well on breaking plateau!

Thanks for sharing your success as well Davepac, 54 lbs is very inspiring!

Teddy Sue, you really made a lightbulb click,with saying you choose not to give yourself treats at this time... I find myself thinking what I can't have rather than what I choose to have, this change of attitude will do me good!

I posted on another thread that my husband is going to do lchf with me, yeah!!! He is so supportive.

Teddy sue,, what a small world!! Imagine a fellow home schooler here:) lol on hating puberty. went swimming, did 18 laps today, up by 2 with no walking in between!!!

BG was dropping so had to drink some juice.

DDphotography, sorry to hear about your feet,sounds so painful, and sure hope the medicine works wonders for you!

TeddySue
Welcome Hooterville, what a great inspiration! Congrats as well on breaking plateau!

Thanks for sharing your success as well Davepac, 54 lbs is very inspiring!

Teddy Sue, you really made a lightbulb click,with saying you choose not to give yourself treats at this time... I find myself thinking what I can't have rather than what I choose to have, this change of attitude will do me good!

I posted on another thread that my husband is going to do lchf with me, yeah!!! He is so supportive.

Teddy sue,, what a small world!! Imagine a fellow home schooler here:) lol on hating puberty. went swimming, did 18 laps today, up by 2 with no walking in between!!!

BG was dropping so had to drink some juice.

DDphotography, sorry to hear about your feet,sounds so painful, and sure hope the medicine works wonders for you!

Every day we grow a bit stronger in our minds and in our bodies. We don't have to accept what others say about our journey, we have to keep on testing and searching for that certain combination that will set us free! I think we all find our freedom at different levels of medicine AND exercise, but one thing is for sure, we all are working for the same outcome. That's why it's so nice to share our journeys, just hoping we can say something that may help someone else. Thank you all for your support.

TS

Jan74br

Only 40m of exercise for me today. Had 3 hypos, and just couldn't get my BG up. When I got down to 90 again, I just felt so weak and tired I left.

Tomorrow, my exercise will be housework.

TeddySue
Only 40m of exercise for me today. Had 3 hypos, and just couldn't get my BG up. When I got down to 90 again, I just felt so weak and tired I left.

Every movement counts. 40 minutes is a great amount of time to exercise. I'm so sorry for the 3 hypos as I know how horrible they make us feel. I hope you gain your strength quickly. Tomorrow is another day and a brand new start. I wish I had the gumption to do housework, but with the older kids home they do a lot of it, cooking too. Summers are so nice. I remember when they were all (7) little and how much work it was, but now I look back with fond memories of how they learned to be good workers, and it's paying off in jobs and being helpful young people. Makes me smile.

TS

jbmacomber

But you did get a lot in, I am ispired by your persistence. My exercise will be same tomorrow too, what fun!! Actually I enjoy taking care of my house.:T