Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

TeddySue

Are you on a diet to lose weight?

TeddySue
But you did get a lot in, I am ispired by your persistence. My exercise will be same tomorrow too, what fun!! Actually I enjoy taking care of my house.:T

When my kids were young, I did enjoy doing housework and cooking... at 62, I need to have the time for myself instead. Besides, I've grown very lazy in my old age. LOL I admire your pride in your home, and it IS work.

TS

daniela1219

Yay, Deb!! Welcome! SO happy you've joined us :)

OK, so I was wrong. Today wasn't zumba day. Actually, it is tomorrow.. haha. Did some cardio tonight at the gym. I'm so sore!!! Got two blisters on my hands last night :(

TeddySue

OK, so I was wrong. Today wasn't zumba day. Actually, it is tomorrow.. haha. Did some cardio tonight at the gym. I'm so sore!!! Got two blisters on my hands last night :(

I love to hear the commitment everyone has to their exercise and diet! SO sorry for the blisters on your hands.

TS

Jan74br
Every movement counts. 40 minutes is a great amount of time to exercise. I'm so sorry for the 3 hypos as I know how horrible they make us feel. I hope you gain your strength quickly. Tomorrow is another day and a brand new start. I wish I had the gumption to do housework, but with the older kids home they do a lot of it, cooking too. Summers are so nice. I remember when they were all (7) little and how much work it was, but now I look back with fond memories of how they learned to be good workers, and it's paying off in jobs and being helpful young people. Makes me smile.

TS

It is not a lot of work in my house cause it is a small house and we don't have children.

Jan74br

Lifting gloves, dani! Get yourself some.

TeddySue

Everything seems to be falling in place after 12 years of diabetes. I think just making a commitment to yourself is a big first step and I see so much commitment here!

I've managed to lose 33 pounds in 3 months and feel like it is real FAT coming off this time. I used to be the monthly biggest loser at TOPS 3 years ago; got down to a nice size (for me) and then let someone side-track me with her words... quit and gained 100 pounds, which brings me here to find the right way to deal with my health. It's not about losing 100 pounds. It's about getting my head on straight and working toward being the best I can be. Weight loss is a big part of that, but without the BG under control, it's a losing battle. I am so thankful for this forum and all of you who take the time to check up on each other and encourage ALL of us to keep going.

With the sleep apnea under control I am able to see that I NEVER slept well. I didn't know; I was asleep... Somehow, everything is working together for my good: appetite under control, exercise in place every day, proper food that my meter likes, NO more severe vertigo! (ouch), no emotions out of control (that's a biggie for me), and a better outlook for the future (which I thought would be very short). I've come back from a deep trauma into the world of the living. God has been so good to me.

I'm rooting for all of you! Have a really fine day.

TS

jbmacomber
Lifting gloves, dani! Get yourself some.

Wow, that must have been a great work out!! Hope you heal well!

jbmacomber
Everything seems to be falling in place after 12 years of diabetes. I think just making a commitment to yourself is a big first step and I see so much commitment here!

I've managed to lose 33 pounds in 3 months and feel like it is real FAT coming off this time. I used to be the monthly biggest loser at TOPS 3 years ago; got down to a nice size (for me) and then let someone side-track me with her words... quit and gained 100 pounds, which brings me here to find the right way to deal with my health. It's not about losing 100 pounds. It's about getting my head on straight and working toward being the best I can be. Weight loss is a big part of that, but without the BG under control, it's a losing battle. I am so thankful for this forum and all of you who take the time to check up on each other and encourage ALL of us to keep going.

With the sleep apnea under control I am able to see that I NEVER slept well. I didn't know; I was asleep... Somehow, everything is working together for my good: appetite under control, exercise in place every day, proper food that my meter likes, NO more severe vertigo! (ouch), no emotions out of control (that's a biggie for me), and a better outlook for the future (which I thought would be very short). I've come back from a deep trauma into the world of the living. God has been so good to me.

I'm rooting for all of you! Have a really fine day.

TS

You have really come so far!!!! Way to go!!!! Sleep does make such a difference in every area of our life. Amen, God is always faithful to us!!!

TeddySue
You have really come so far!!!! Way to go!!!! Sleep does make such a difference in every area of our life. Amen, God is always faithful to us!!!

You should have seen me 6 years ago when the trauma began. I didn't want to live. But God has a plan for my life and He isn't done yet. I can't take credit for any of this. I know Who I believe in and that He only wants the best for me.

TS

Hooterville

Good morning and happy Saturday to you all. :)

I found this thread yesterday and made my first post telling of just having broken a 4 month long weight loss plateau. I was sitting above another milestone at 89 lbs lost. This morning I'm at 91 lbs lost! I'm so excited. I expected to be up as that's the way it goes with me, have a loss, make a gain and so on. So to have lost two lbs since yesterday and now be below 90 lost with a little cushion is very exciting.

I slept in this morning and when I woke I was thinking about fasting today. I expected my weight to be up and thought today would be a good day to do it. Since that long plateau I've been toying with the idea of doing a one day fast every month or so to shake things up. I've tried many different conventional things to "shake things up" and nothing else was working. On the 10th and 11th of this month I had to fast for 36 hours for a medical test. In the past week and a half since that test, I gained 4 lbs the very next day but then have dropped 10 lbs since that gain. I've also been forced to not walk for the past half week due to a dumb owie on my toe that needs to heal. Who knows what it is that has shaken this plateau loose but I'm going to do this fast today and see what happens.

Oh, another reason for the fast is that my BG has been creeping up and as the BG has been creeping, so has the Lantus. When I did the fast, it was great for my BG so there's reason #2 for the fast.

TeddySue
Oh, another reason for the fast is that my BG has been creeping up and as the BG has been creeping, so has the Lantus. When I did the fast, it was great for my BG so there's reason #2 for the fast.

I do fasting, too. For me it's easy since I don't have an appetite since I started LC 3 months ago. Would you please explain how you do it? Do you drink water? I'd like to shake up my system, too because my body thinks I'm starving and I'm not. I think it is so used to the grazing of before it hasn't completely broken that addiction. I don't crave anything but am almost afraid to eat because my BG are so good. Anyone ever feel like this? I should be dropping 5 pounds a week but only about 2 or three. I'm am obsessed with weight loss and having great numbers each day; the only way I can is to not eat much. To me, it's worth it to see the low numbers.

TS

Hooterville
I do fasting, too. For me it's easy since I don't have an appetite since I started LC 3 months ago. Would you please explain how you do it? Do you drink water? I'd like to shake up my system, too because my body thinks I'm starving and I'm not. I think it is so used to the grazing of before it hasn't completely broken that addiction. I don't crave anything but am almost afraid to eat because my BG are so good. Anyone ever feel like this? I should be dropping 5 pounds a week but only about 2 or three. I'm am obsessed with weight loss and having great numbers each day; the only way I can is to not eat much. To me, it's worth it to see the low numbers.

TS

Who told you that you should be losing 5 per week? That's crazy talk. 2 to 3 is perfect.

I'm no fasting expert. I just know that for the 36 hour fast for my medical procedure I could only have sf popsicles, jello, broth and water. For this I'm thinking I'll have the same and add some V8. I haven't looked yet to see how many carbs in V8. I'm also thinking I'll have chai with cream and I've already had coffee with cream. Toying with idea of having plain Greek yogurt. Still haven't decided. Tonight will be hard and I have to make sure not to blow it tomorrow when I'm starving. Still it will be a cake walk compared to the fast and prep I did a few weeks ago.

TeddySue
Who told you that you should be losing 5 per week? That's crazy talk. 2 to 3 is perfect.

I'm no fasting expert. I just know that for the 36 hour fast for my medical procedure I could only have sf popsicles, jello, broth and water. For this I'm thinking I'll have the same and add some V8. I haven't looked yet to see how many carbs in V8. I'm also thinking I'll have chai with cream and I've already had coffee with cream. Toying with idea of having plain Greek yogurt. Still haven't decided. Tonight will be hard and I have to make sure not to blow it tomorrow when I'm starving. Still it will be a cake walk compared to the fast and prep I did a few weeks ago.

I guess I meant "I" feel I should lose more since I hardly eat anything; for the past few months I've eaten 1000 or less a day, with one day of 1200. I gained 3 pounds on that... so I guess my stupid body is not cooperating. I've got two of those pounds off again.

What are your reasons for fasting?

TS

Hooterville
I guess I meant "I" feel I should lose more since I hardly eat anything; for the past few months I've eaten 1000 or less a day, with one day of 1200. I gained 3 pounds on that... so I guess my stupid body is not cooperating. I've got two of those pounds off again.

What are your reasons for fasting?

TS

To shake up the weight loss, to give it a kick, I suppose.

Also, when I did the last fast I had awesome bg. My numbers have been messing with me lately. First I was going low and over a period of a couple of weeks I lowered my Lantus 30 percent from 34 units to 24. I held steady at 24 for 8 days when they started creeping up again. So I started raising the Lantus and ended up right where I'd started at 34 units where I'd previously been having the lows. Now I'm not walking this past week due to letting a blister heal on my toe. Walking was aggravating it and making it bleed. So, for whatever reason, not walking or whatever, my bg is now going up again and now I'm at 38 units, grrrrr. I just want to see some nice bg numbers again and, right or wrong, fasting one day gave me lower bg before so I hope it does again. Just tested and am at 80.

I am not advocating fasting here. It was just something I'd been thinking of doing and a medical test made it necessary and I survived it and thought I'd just do it again. Hopefully I don't pig out tomorrow because of it. :eek:

BTW, one day eating 1200 calories was probably just a coincidence. Also, I don't count calories at all. I watch carbs. I've lost 91 lbs NOT counting calories but it has taken me 6 years.

TeddySue
To shake up the weight loss, to give it a kick, I suppose.

Also, when I did the last fast I had awesome bg. My numbers have been messing with me lately. First I was going low and over a period of a couple of weeks I lowered my Lantus 30 percent from 34 units to 24. I held steady at 24 for 8 days when they started creeping up again. So I started raising the Lantus and ended up right where I'd started at 34 units where I'd previously been having the lows. Now I'm not walking this past week due to letting a blister heal on my toe. Walking was aggravating it and making it bleed. So, for whatever reason, not walking or whatever, my bg is now going up again and now I'm at 38 units, grrrrr. I just want to see some nice bg numbers again and, right or wrong, fasting one day gave me lower bg before so I hope it does again. Just tested and am at 80.

I am not advocating fasting here. It was just something I'd been thinking of doing and a medical test made it necessary and I survived it and thought I'd just do it again. Hopefully I don't pig out tomorrow because of it. :eek:

BTW, one day eating 1200 calories was probably just a coincidence. Also, I don't count calories at all. I watch carbs. I've lost 91 lbs NOT counting calories but it has taken me 6 years.

I am SO impressed with your weight loss. I sure as heck didn't keep my 90 pounds off 10 years ago... I just get so mad at myself because I had a handle on it but let it go for emotional reasons.

For me, fasting does more than weight loss, it sets my appetite lower, along with the low carbs. Where would I be right now if I hadn't found this forum (DF) and read all the wonderful information? I would still be eating carbs and wondering why I was not losing weight. Thank you for sharing your view and what you are doing. It helps me so much.

I've walked twice today on the treadmill: 45 minutes and 30 minutes. It's kill or cure for me and I'm headed for control with no stops. This commitment to gaining control is very important to me. I need success.

My numbers were not cooperating a while back but I kept testing and comparing until I got to here. I even had higher than I wanted (140) one day last week after walking, but I upped the insulin 1 unit and stayed there, waiting it out, and it did come around. Today, after walking 45 minutes my BG was 103. It's taken a lot of work, just like for you. And that's why I believe you will win out on this; you have the determination to do it.

For me, the best thing is not the weight loss, but the BG control. It makes me feel so good about myself. Do any of you ever get praise from your family or friends for what you are struggling to control? I don't. The weight loss shows, but the victory of control is just for me to be proud of because no one really knows.

TS

Hooterville
I am SO impressed with your weight loss. I sure as heck didn't keep my 90 pounds off 10 years ago... I just get so mad at myself because I had a handle on it but let it go for emotional reasons.

See, this is what worries me, keeping it off. It's one thing to lose, it's another to maintain. I've heard a statistic that only 2 or 3% of those who lose 100 lbs or more keep it off. I'm hopeful that by losing slow as I have and with having D, that this is a life change and not just a diet if that makes sense. In a sense, since I've been doing this for 6 or 7 years, I have been maintaining loss and have changed my habits. We'll see.

For me, fasting does more than weight loss, it sets my appetite lower, along with the low carbs.

I like this! I have an appetite. It's a constant struggle.

Where would I be right now if I hadn't found this forum (DF) and read all the wonderful information? I would still be eating carbs and wondering why I was not losing weight. Thank you for sharing your view and what you are doing. It helps me so much.

I'm so thankful to be here. This place has changed my life. I've only been here since January. This is where I got control of my BG and really learned about eating low carb. My internist, my endo and this place gave me a life. I was a very sick person one year ago.

I've walked twice today on the treadmill: 45 minutes and 30 minutes. It's kill or cure for me and I'm headed for control with no stops. This commitment to gaining control is very important to me. I need success.

I'm addicted to walking. Never thought I would feel that way, but I am.

My numbers were not cooperating a while back but I kept testing and comparing until I got to here. I even had higher than I wanted (140) one day last week after walking, but I upped the insulin 1 unit and stayed there, waiting it out, and it did come around. Today, after walking 45 minutes my BG was 103. It's taken a lot of work, just like for you. And that's why I believe you will win out on this; you have the determination to do it.

For me, the best thing is not the weight loss, but the BG control. It makes me feel so good about myself.

It was also about BG control for me as I was working to get my life back and stay out of the hospital. BUT, I want the weight loss, too. Not just for the obvious reasons but weight loss will mean better control. Hopefully weight loss will mean less Lantus. Hopefully less Lantus will mean easier to control weight. It's all a circle.

Do any of you ever get praise from your family or friends for what you are struggling to control? I don't. The weight loss shows, but the victory of control is just for me to be proud of because no one really knows.

Friends, huge. Some family, yes. My Mom and extended family are very positive. Husband, not one word. Mother-in-law, nothing, lol. I think it was when I hit 80 lbs lost I said to my young adult sons, do you not notice that I've lost weight? One son said, YES! He said, Mom, everyone has noticed. He said, all my friends say they've seen you and how much weight you've lost. Another son hugged me one day and said, omg, you have gotten smaller. I don't know whey they have to be prompted to say anything. Maybe it's the male fear of mentioning the W word to a woman. All weight references are to be avoided lol. I told two of my sons about hitting this milestone today and they were supportive.

Teddy, you are doing great. Just remember we are in a marathon here.

TS

Teddy, you are doing great. Just remember that we are in a marathon here. Whatever it is you do, it can't be so extreme that it's not sustainable.

jbmacomber

For me, fasting does more than weight loss, it sets my appetite lower, along with the low carbs. Where would I be right now if I hadn't found this forum (DF) and read all the wonderful information? I would still be eating carbs and wondering why I was not losing weight. Thank you for sharing your view and what you are doing. It helps me so much.

For me, the best thing is not the weight loss, but the BG control. It makes me feel so good about myself. Do any of you ever get praise from your family or friends for what you are struggling to control? I don't. The weight loss shows, but the victory of control is just for me to be proud of because no one really knows.

TS

Yay teddysue!!! You are doing so good, to not give up or give in. You have my praise for starting this and for all the help and encouragement we all get from here.

I have praise from my husband, he has said he has never seen me stick to eating better for this long. No one else seems to notice, but they are far away. My 13 year old loves going around shouting "bolus" when we get ready to eat, or "hypo" at random times, lol. So he does notice:T

BTW, camp trip never happened, his legs started itching, he almost had them scratched raw. They subside when he sits but start up when he is on his feet for a while. Never heard of anything like it. Will make appt. for him.

TeddySue
Teddy, you are doing great. Just remember that we are in a marathon here. Whatever it is you do, it can't be so extreme that it's not sustainable.

I do feel the support here and it warms my ole heart. I am so proud of all of you and your determination to succeed. No one here is big on saying one way is better than another and I like that, that we can encourage each other and feel the success when someone else does it GOOD another way than our way.

Tonight I tried to eat EV-olive oil on my salad but couldn't gag it down and I thought, how do they do this? LOL But it doesn't matter if I can't, I did try. And what's the deal with Balsamic vinegar and having all those carbs compared to apple cider vinegar?? MAN! I was so bummed. But I use the apple cider one and try not to think about my Basalmic vinegar too much. Bummer.

You are right, as Randy Jackson says, "In it to win it!" What I have to keep telling myself is that there is never a time when it's all over; never a time when we can say, I'll be able to have sweets and stuff when I'm done. We are never done. The life-time commitment is just that, for a lifetime, a time to live.

TS

Hooterville

I use balsamic vinegar. I like it. It's a choice I make. Rarely does a grain cross my lips (usually a 4.3 carb Wasa Crisp and Light) but I like my balsamic vinegar.

TeddySue
I use balsamic vinegar. I like it. It's a choice I make. Rarely does a grain cross my lips (usually a 4.3 carb Wasa Crisp and Light) but I like my balsamic vinegar.

What you are saying is, it's my choice to add whatever carbs I want as long as I balance the whole thing out? THANK YOU! for reminding me that I have choices and this is a small one. I get so obsessed with carbs that I deny myself some good things. I will do the Balsamic vinegar and be happy.

GUESS WHAT? That three pounds that mysteriously had the nerve to invade my body? They are gone! It's such a good feeling to have victory over the flesh! YAY! Can you tell I'm happy? For so long I have given in and quit when something like this would happen, handing over my victory and conceding failure. NOW I can come here and be kept accountable. Thank you to everyone here.

I awoke with an 83 this morning after a good night's sleep with the MASK. My son had upped the pressure for me and made it so much more comfortable, after reading here in a thread that it is possible to do it. My son figured it out quickly and adjusted it for the comfort I had been seeking. For me, life is good. PTL!

Off to church with the kids. Hope everyone has a blessed day with low numbers and a smile on your face.

TS

sweetstar

Our diabetic food plan is just that, a food plan we can live with forever.

I think it is important to remember that we have choices every day. And,

some days we will make the bad choice. For me, I love dessert. At home,

I forego it with no problem. But, when we are out for dinner, it is far more

difficult to be strong. So, I do eat dessert then go back on plan. If I thought

I could never, ever eat cheesecake again, I might give up. I know that I can

anytime I want. (I actually gave up smoking with this same mind set.)

Since my BG control is more important than the weight loss, I don't beat myself

up over weight fluctuations. I have lost nearly 30 pounds and am trying to keep

going. It has taken 18 months, but I didn't put it on quickly so I figure losing it

slowly is better for me.

I think I have rambled on too long. If I have helped one person, that is good.

TeddySue
Our diabetic food plan is just that, a food plan we can live with forever.

I think it is important to remember that we have choices every day. And,

some days we will make the bad choice. For me, I love dessert. At home,

I forego it with no problem. But, when we are out for dinner, it is far more

difficult to be strong. So, I do eat dessert then go back on plan. If I thought

I could never, ever eat cheesecake again, I might give up. I know that I can

anytime I want. (I actually gave up smoking with this same mind set.)

Since my BG control is more important than the weight loss, I don't beat myself

up over weight fluctuations. I have lost nearly 30 pounds and am trying to keep

going. It has taken 18 months, but I didn't put it on quickly so I figure losing it

slowly is better for me.

I think I have rambled on too long. If I have helped one person, that is good.

Your words certainly helped me. THANK YOU!

We were invited to the pastor's house for lunch, after church. She is a great cook AND a person who values her health, so, we had a meal I could eat. The others had homemade pie and cantaloupe for dessert. I ate four small cubes of cantaloupe and waited to go home for my dessert. I'm having diet jello with some red raspberries in it, and topped with sugar-free Cool Whip. It tastes amazing! I know how you feel about dessert. At this point, you know what you are doing and how much of balancing act it is with carbs. It's our lives and we have a plan, or in the process of making that plan for life. I intend to live to hold my grand-babies.

Thanks for this encouraging post. You've done a great job of losing weight and keeping it under control. I like your attitude.

TS

sweetstar

Thank you Teddy Sue. I feel better knowing my words helped someone.

I am with you about the grandchildren. I have 8 step grand kids. But, my son

has a nearly 9 month old and it is amazing what that little face does. He is a joy.

Jan74br

I did a fair amount of housework this weekend. Washed the car, the garage, organized inside...

Sadly I still had 2 hypos. I've dropped 10U from my insulin so far and still need to drop 1 more tomorrow.

TeddySue
Thank you Teddy Sue. I feel better knowing my words helped someone.

I am with you about the grandchildren. I have 8 step grand kids. But, my son

has a nearly 9 month old and it is amazing what that little face does. He is a joy.

My third oldest son is waiting on his first baby, due in August. I can't wait to see little Landen and will cry when I see my son in him. My son is Korean (22) and was the cutest little boy. This is my first grandchild and I love him already.

TS