Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaurenJ

2 Hour After Eating Target Number?

LaurenJ

Just curious what you're 2 hour after eating number usually is during pregnancy? My OB lectured me yesterday that my sugars should be below 100 after meals and 70-80 fasting/before meals so I'm really trying to increase my insulin to achieve this. He's a lot more on my case about this than my endocrinologist. My number before breakfast was 82. 2 hours after it was 87. But now I feel like I can't do any physical activity around the house (such as cleaning) without it dropping too low and still have 2-3 hours before lunch! I'm not going to snack because I'm not hungry and I'm trying not to gain too much weight during this pregnancy! So frustrating. Just curious what your target number is after eating?? Thanks!

Steal

I think your numbers sound perfect and if it were me and I had the energy to do the work around the house, I would do it and if I got low, I would then correct for it with some juice. I tried very hard not to overeat during pregnancy and keep the weight gain in check, but I learned one thing- the body just grows and does it anyway. I did not overeat and maintained a healthy lifestyle with both pregnancies and our bodies just react differently depending on you and your little one. I tried to stay balanced and under 120 within an hour after food and back to 80 2 hours after food. For me, it was and is about keeping it even, so I tend to be one that eats lots of little snacks and not any big sit-down meals. It helped me to maintain my numbers better in and out of pregnancy.

LaurenJ

Thank you Steph. :) Appreciate your advice. It went a little low (65) from cleaning but I drank a few sips of coke and it stopped the decline before lunch.

Lizzie G

Lauren,

Are you on a pump? If so it might be an idea to lower your basal for anticipated activity. Also, if you know you plan on housework right after lunch, I would take less insulin and get going with the housework right away, and this will eliminate the spike. During pregnancy I aimed for 3.5-4.5 before meals (75-85 approx) and as close to that as possible after; in reality this would sometimes hit what you guys would call the 130-140 mark, but often 100-120, and overall kept my HbA1C in the low fives mostly. My son was 7lb8oz at 39 weeks and 5 days gestation.

Liz

JenOlejniczak

I was told to try and be around 140 an hour after meals. I tried to veer on the low side the whole pregnancy, because correcting a low is so much easier than trying to bring down a high. I had a 7lbs 6 oz girl, and was induced at 39 weeks 2 days. My AIC's were under six the whole pregnancy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.