Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kyteflyer

--===HAPPYhappyHAPPYhappyHAPPY===--

kyteflyer

Does it seem as if I might be happy?

Latest A1c results are in. Steady on 6. That's down from 8.6 3 months ago. Last 12 months have been very high, and my endo was going to put me on insulin. I begged her to put me on a third oral med instead and she did... and this is the very good result. Diet also had a lot to do with it, along with keeping a very close check on levels several times a day. I'm a believer... finally... that its good to test 3-4 times a day.

I've also begun reducing one of the meds which will eventually exhaust my pancreas and then I really will need insulin. For now, though, its all good. I think I might have to create a sig with my last 12 months results :)

kyteflyer

Thanks, everyone. Next appointment is on Tuesday next week, I'll have to fess up about taking a half dose of Diamicron, but given that theres been no change in my tested levels, I don't think she will mind. With any luck she will prescribe the 30mg dose and then in another 3 months I'll start reducing that. If not, I'll plod on with what I am doing.

I'm also about to embark on a pretty crazy soup diet (just as well I adore vegie soup and its midwinter) to lose a bit of weight. It worked for me a couple of years ago, and it can work again :)

christab

That's great! I guess because I was put on insulin immediately upon diagnosis, I don't understand why people are so adverse to it. It's just replacing something I am not making enough of. I went from 300 readings to less than 120 average, including my first really high week, in three weeks (still too early for a second A1C to see how I'm actually doing). Insulin is saving my life, along with major diet changes and exercise. My pancreas is getting a well deserved rest. I've only had one low, and I handled it. I've adjusted since then and haven't been under 65 since.

kyteflyer
That's great! I guess because I was put on insulin immediately upon diagnosis, I don't understand why people are so adverse to it. It's just replacing something I am not making enough of.

Its really good that insulin is working for you. I'm sure that sooner or later I will have to go on insulin as well but I'm putting it off because my pancreas is still working, just not very efficiently. It was working when I was started on medication (metformin). Its still working, or the reduction in Diamicron (which gives the pancreas a poke to produce more insulin) would have had a bad effect, and it didnt. I was producing heaps of insulin. My fasting levels were over the top, really high. The thing is... I needed meds that would enable me to use that insulin I was producing naturally... not to replace it. and it seems that the Actos is finally doing that (though I have NO doubt that my insulin levels are much lower now than they were). I will accept insulin when its necessary. Its not, right now.

[edit] I didnt say in my first post that my 4-5x daily testing is in the range of 3-8. I rarely go over 8 anymore, and I dont feel hypo or any of its symptoms when it goes down to 3. But it was that decrease to the 3-4 range that prompted me to start a reduction of the diamicron... I need to maintain between 4 and 6 if I can, and most of the time I can. It only goes over 6-7 when I am "naughty" (averaging daily on that matter, sadly). I'm happy with the overall result.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.