Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snj

Quick question

snj

When i had to get my blood work done... I checked my fasting bg at home n it was 124 nd frm the lab i got 158 y such a huge difference?? Cld my device b wrong? M using ultra touch 2. Btw these. Nmbrs were without medication n insulin.

aggie168

Hello SNJ,

1. Meters and Strips are allowed a 20% variation in the US. I assume you are in the US. When you factor that in, your 124 and 158 is not that far off. Should be better.

2. Make sure your hands are clean. When you get a "off" reading, wash and test again.

3. Finally, meter are cheap. You can probably get a free one by calling the maker or from your doctor's office. The money is in the strips. So get another one to double check or as a backup.

Hope the above helps. :)

TeddySue

Isn't the one at the doctor's office an average of three months? Your 124 was for the morning number so only for one time.

TS

Seagal

It is a good idea to take your meter with you when you get labs done and as soon as the blood is drawn, head for the ladies room to wash your hands and do a finger stick on your meter.

Sounds like this was a fasting glucose lab test?

Jan74br

I'd also add the lab tests the plasma, whereas the meter tests the blood.

So it can be up to 20 points off, according to my endo. Any more than that, he finds concerning and suggests contacting the manufacturer, though.

snj

Thxz... Yeah the lab ones r plasma one... N both time i did on the same day while fasting. Bt there was some time diff... I mean when i did at home i was just up n then i went to the lab aftr an hour .... Mayb that. I live in saudi arabia these days...so contacting manufacturer is nt an option...! Bt i wl try to take a quick test right before i go into the lab the next time.

CDeuce
When i had to get my blood work done... I checked my fasting bg at home n it was 124 nd frm the lab i got 158 y such a huge difference?? Cld my device b wrong? M using ultra touch 2. Btw these. Nmbrs were without medication n insulin.
Hi snj! When I awake, my bg is usually around or below 100 at this point. If I don't have something to eat right away, my bg will continue to rise -- can go up 50 points... this is dawn phenomenon. When I have my labs drawn, I do still measure my bg when I get up, but I also know that the lab result will be higher, so I also measure at the same time or right after. It may have nothing to do with your meter, if you have DP like so many of us here.

Determination

Can't you take your glucometer with you and do your own test within a minute or two after? Also, it's possible that any anxiety or frustration, even a little, while in the lab (i.e. if you are stuck waiting a long time in the waiting room or get a smug/rude tech or are just unconsciously nervous/excited about what the results will be), could impact your fbg.

daniela1219

I agree with everything they've said above.

But also, you said you checked your BG at home, by the time you got to the lab I'm guessing you could've had a liver dump, especially if you were fasting.

jillybean
Isn't the one at the doctor's office an average of three months? Your 124 was for the morning number so only for one time.

TS

A fasting glucose level is a fasting glucose level. I think you're thinking of an A1C.

snj

Yeah i thnk then thats it.... Since i went to the lab testing n 2hrs may tht hyped up my sugar level. Thnk u guys.... Btw i have created a grp on fb called "diabetic pregnancies and diabetic moms" please join me there! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.