Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bardley

New 10k Personal Best Time

bardley

...just a quick note that I hope will encourage others out there. I ran a 10k last week in the United States and recorded a personal best in the over 50 age group. It will never match my time when I was (pause) younger, but it got me 2nd place in the race (and no, it wasn't a one person race where I got second :)). Point is, get out there and get moving, if you can. Just because we have diabetes doesn't mean that it can keep us down.

And one other encouraging piece of news. A friend of mine has now moved into the 5 A1C group without meds after years of taking metaformin. It required weight lose and a real change in diet but he did it! Perhaps there are others out that can do the same?

Don't let the D get ya down!

Chaseg08

Hey Bardley, thanks for the post. It's true what you say: "Just because we have diabetes doesn't mean that it can keep us down." I've only become faster since I was diagnosed. My last 5K was a little under 21 minutes. My fastest time during my naval career was 22+...and that was at sea level! I'm not getting any younger but between my healthy diet, good exercise routine and positive mindset, I'm still getting better. Mind you, all while dealing with chronic kidney stones, lower back injuries and with a rod and three massive screws through my right tibia. Diabetes is no excuse and gives me no reason to hold back. If anything, it makes me live and eat more healthy than I would without it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.