Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diabetic20+

Breastfeeding and Type 1!

Diabetic20+

Hi there,

My due date is approaching quickly. I am currently 32 weeks pregnant and a type 1 diabetic of 20+ years. I have three children and one angel baby. I have never breastfed longer than two weeks in the past. I look back at it now realizing that my diabetes was out of control compared to now. My last A1c was 5.3 and I am hoping to breastfeed this time around. I was wondering if there are any ladies out there who have successfully breastfed being a Type 1 diabetic? If so, are there any tricks you might share? I am nervous and would like to get as much information as possible. Thanks! :)

Lizzie G

Hi there

My little boy wouldn't latch on, so I expressed for the first 6 weeks (then made the choice to stop, it was exhausting and time consuming on top of everything else going on at the time).

Are you pumping? If so I would say, in general BF meant quite a reduction in basal rate, I can't recall closely enough to quantify, perhaps 30% less than pre-pregnancy rates. I also tried to express around the time I ate, and reduced my bolus quite significantly also, again possibly around 30%.

It takes a while to figure it out exactly, so just make sure you have a supply of fast acting carbs, and test plenty.

Good luck with the final weeks, the birth, the breast, and beyond!!!

GerryMihal

I breastfed my daughter for 14 months. Didn't have any issues. At the time I was using Lantus and Novorapid. If I can recall, I was taking less lantus during that period.

Good luck with everything!

Steal

I breastfed just fine for two months before returning to work. Then, I couldn't handle trying to be a high school teacher and worry about leaking on students. That worked well for us with both of my girls. I did get low a lot, but just had to make sure to keep adjusting my insulin and have food handy.

JennaEllis

I tried to breast feed my daughter when she was born last year but she was in intensive care for a while and when I was allowed to try she wouldn't latch on..so I expressed milk for as long as I did but found I had lots of severe hypos during the time I expressed which frightened me. I'm now pregnant again and would like to try breast feeding again but am so anxious about my bloodsugars falling low, it scares me when I have a one year old and soon to have a new born to look after, has anyone else suffered severe lows whilst breast feeding???

Diabetic20+

That is all very good information. I appreciate it. I am kind of concerned about the low bloodsugars...I have severe seizures when my glucose goes too low, too quickly. So, that is a concern that I have...I suppose it just means more monitoring. I plan on strictly breastfeeding from the breast if possible. With my first child, I found the latching to be a problem as well. I ended up pumping for about two months and switched to formula there after. With my second and third I pumped for about a month and switched to formula. This time around, I would like to breastfeed from the breast and am very set on getting it done this time around. I think this time around will be different because I am a stay at home mom now and not having to go back to work 2-6 weeks after the baby is born...I believe that will make a huge difference. So, I suppose I will let you ladies know how it all goes! Thanks again for the info. :o)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.